[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK guys, it's been a while since we've had this thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 42
File: Skil-Speed-Slide-Wrench.jpg (20 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
Skil-Speed-Slide-Wrench.jpg
20 KB, 550x550
OK guys, it's been a while since we've had this thread.

What tools are absolutely awesome, but not everyone knows how awesome they are?

I was at walmart the other day and I was looking at pic related.

It was 18 bucks, but it looked really handy, worth buying?

tl;dr post less common tools that are really handy
>>
>>986747
Looks fairly weak and very easy to fuck up bolts, maybe I'm wrong but I don't trust it.
>>
just get a crescent wrench, that thing is a POS
>>
>>986747
Nice nutfucker, bro.
>>
File: 1459875497540.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1459875497540.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>buying tools from Walmart other than maybe a hammer
>>
>>986747
Never use dumb fuck tools like that. They might work for the odd job the typical Walmart retard does but more often then not they just wreck shit
>>
File: Snap.jpg (431 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
Snap.jpg
431 KB, 2304x1536
>>986747
Ratcheting screwdriver
Roto/swivel ratchet

Two of my favorites.
>>
>>986747
what's wrong with an adjustable spanner? it's better in every way than that design

>>986767
>walmart hammer

enjoy those shards of metal in your face when it shatters.
>>
>>986753
I have this. Any crescent wrench is a POS in comparison.
>>
>>986835
Was going to post this. They're basically adjustable, ratcheting, open-end wrenches that are also vise-grips. A 7" and 10" have replaced all my wrenches for most tasks.
>>
>>986747
Spud wrenches save the day everyday!
>>
>>986747
Shitty tool IMO.

However when it comes to less common tools, how about the spud wrench. They save the day everyday at work
>>
>>986839
>>986835
These varieties often end up being 2big4u for some jobs so you end up having to use the socket set or the wrench set anyways.
>>
>>986863
At lowes the other day I saw a spud ratchet, it had 1/4 and 3/8 drive. Seemed pretty decent, and it was only 20 bucks. I might pick one up some time.
>>
>>986835
I ended up buying the 10in (250) and the 7in (180) of these. I already had the cobras which I really liked, and I found a really good sale on them from the Garage Journal hot deals forum.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321461

Pretty nice tools, but ive found that using them on anything really stuck or tightening anything really hard they will slightly open in your hand and can round a fastener. Its much harder to round a fastener with them but it still can happen. You just stop when you feel the handles opening up on you.

The best use ive had for them is when you need to hold a nut from spinning on one side of something blindly. Its quick without having to get out random wrenches to find the right size.

>>986872
I have had this too, where I have to use the big 10 incher to fit something which physically wouldnt fit. I could probably have used the 7 incher, but when you open the jaws up that widely you lose leverage with the handles which dont let you grip as hard making your useful force before stripping less.

I dont ever see myself using an adjustable wrench over these ever again, but on the other hand I did not use adjustable wrenches very often in the first place.
If you use adjustable wrenches a lot, youd probably fall in love with them.

On the other hand, everyone NEEDs a set of their cobra pliers. Better than any tongue and groove out there, and they arent even expensive.
>>
>>986835
This overpriced tool is suspiciously shilled on this board like crazy.
>>
File: alt171110_img01.jpg (41 KB, 492x309) Image search: [Google]
alt171110_img01.jpg
41 KB, 492x309
Has anyone ever tried one of these?

How strong are they?
Are they annoying?
Are they a god-send?
>>
>>986902
Depends on what you consider overpriced.
The link I posted they cost 34 bucks shipped no tax, they are made in germany with a lifetime warranty and have earned a huge reputation.

On amazon the first american made 10 adjustable wrench was a Klein and cost 32$.
The spanish made Bahco was 28$

I think the biggest reason for their rise in popularity is because I see them sold at Farm and Fleet, Menards, Lowes, and other big box stores now.
>>
>>986905
I'm in Canada, and they are 50 dollars--fuck that.
>>
>>986907
>>986905
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10-inches-pliers-wrench.1000683072.html

100$ for the 10 inch model.
>>
>>986903
I have a chinese knock off one, and it doesnt work very well honestly.
The original may work a little better, but mine is hard to use.

You have to hold it down pretty hard or the spring loaded pins will pop the socket off your nut and it will slip. Also you have to reseat it several times to get the pins to bind with each other or they will slip.

I dont think the problems are with my tool in particular, I think its just a design problem.
Cant you get them at walmart for like 10$ though? May be worth trying anyways
>>
File: 51jTCFqY5RL._SL1000_.jpg (47 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51jTCFqY5RL._SL1000_.jpg
47 KB, 1000x1000
>>986910
>>986907
Well they sure as shit arent worth that

Its nice to find actual good tools at the store though. Knipex have shown up on shelves with Knipex and Orbis stuff, and now Irwin is re badging another german brand NWS pliers.

A lot of people have bitched and complained saying they are sick of cheap chinese tools for years.

Hell Stanley is now making some high end Sweethart Planers and Made in England Chisels. They both cost more than triple what their chinese tools cost, but its at least a start to getting decent tools put into hardware stores.
>>
File: IMG_3734.jpg (116 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3734.jpg
116 KB, 800x600
>>986785
I have an orange ratcheting screwdriver and its pretty great.

I wish I could get one in their limited edition BelAir teal they had years ago.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-30-21-21-21.png (357 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-30-21-21-21.png
357 KB, 720x1280
>>986917
On the note on Irwin, they have the only channel locks design that is completely adjustable, even while closed. If you use channel locks at all, Irwin is the way to go. Worst part about them is that the little cover falls off the left(?) Side of them, but all it does is protect the greased mechanism.
>>
>>986921
I know you already think im shilling, but dude the Irwin Groovelocks are just chinese knockoffs of the Knipex Cobras.

If you like them, youll love the cobras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4v4tJmtiik
>>
>>986903

They're not really very useful if you already have a ratchet set, and it wants to push itself off the bolt due to the nature of its design. I dont' really see that much use out of it, DESU.

That being said, it's saved my ass a few times with some weird/fucked up bolt heads, so, for the $13 I paid for it at the time, I'll give it a solid pass.
>>
>>986785
I feel like ratcheting screwdrivers kind of defeat the purpose of needing a ratchet, which is getting into tighter spaces than a screwdriver and gaining leverage on tight fasteners. If I have enough room for a screwdriver to fit, I'm going to use 2 hands to get that fucker in or out as quickly as possible.
>>
>>986925
I had no idea. Ive never seen knipex at a local hardware store, though, while Irwin is available everywhere. I'd love to try them, but all my purchases are made on a company card, meaning no online purchases.
>>
>>986927
I often use two hands with the ratcheting screwdriver. Being able to hold the handle still with one hand and spin the shaft with the other once the screw is a bit loose seems quicker for me than any conventional screwdriver. The Snap-on also has a pretty large handle so you can get some decent torque going with it.

Plus the 1/4" bits are very versatile. Tons of small bit ratchets out there for tight spaces, or any square drive ratchet with a 1/4" socket.
>>
File: 57896_48-22-4106_2-lg.gif (39 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
57896_48-22-4106_2-lg.gif
39 KB, 520x520
Milwaukee diagonal cutters ftw. Use them more than just about any other tool.

I'd say speed wrenches in general are underrated tools too.
>>
File: BitAndBrace.jpg (2 KB, 300x139) Image search: [Google]
BitAndBrace.jpg
2 KB, 300x139
>>986747
>>
>>986925
Go away knipex, fuck.
>>
>>986921
I have those irwin groovelocks and they're pretty good. I got them for 12$ on amazon and I've used the very heavily, with no sign of wear. I'm not about to drop 50$ on a pair of knipex when the knockoff does the job just as good.
>>
>>986902
They're very nice, though. Besides their use as a wrench, I like to use them as a pliers for working with wire and sheet metal. Non-marring parallel jaws that can close with a thousand or so pounds of force can be very nice, and there aren't really competing products. I'd never even heard of Knipex until maybe a year ago when someone here in a thread like this mentioned the pliers wrench as being useful.

>>986903
I have one. They're strong enough for everything I've used them for, but IIRC the package/instructions caution against exceeding some torque. I'd expect them to break before a standard socket, but it hasn't been a problem for me. Through I wouldn't use it with an impact wrench.

The pop-off issue can be a bit annoying if you're trying to get at something in an awkward place, but if you can get two hands on the wrench, it's not a problem. I haven't had trouble with getting it to grip things. Maybe the tolerances are tighter than the knockoff the other anon mentioned.

It's not as good as standard sockets at a specific size, but what's nice about it is that you don't need to check what size anything is. I mostly use mine for small random disassembly where I don't know the size of the fasteners precisely enough to get a socket. Grabbing a gator grip can save some time, but for projects with large numbers of fasteners, I'd get the right socket instead. It can also grip things like wing nuts and keyways without damaging them, which can be handy sometimes.
>>
>>986951
>>986954
How come every time I come to this board I get told im shilling Milwaukee and Ryobi, that im shilling Snap-On and Estwing. Now im being told im a fucking Knipex shill?

Does everyone just spend as little money as possible to buy the shittiest tools they can, and if you dont exclusively buy harbor freight you are a shill?

Get the fuck out of here.
I paid $23 for my 10' Cobras on sale, they are normally $27 at menards.
I have some other chinese irwin pliers, and they are complete trash. Noone can convince my that the 12$ groovelocks are going to have a different build quality than the ones I already have.

There is no comparison between the two, and the price difference isnt enough to spat about.

Its like the retards telling me that the Bostich chinese clone is going to perform and last as long as an Estwing will.
The extra 8 dollars you spend will triple the life of your tool, why buy shit tools two and three times over?
>>
>>986984
/diy/ is shills shilling shills, anon.
>>
>>987012
I can see /v/ or maybe even /g/ getting shilled, because thats the target demo for their products and are huge boards.

/diy/ is not big and the demo is all wrong.
Shills are smarter than that.

Its stupid because I never heard anyone complain about shills till about 4-5 months ago, and now you cant have a thread without retards crying it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>986902
Just get them.

You know you want to.
>>
>>986767
>buying any tools ever from Walmart

Literally the tools at harbor freight would be better. Probably at a better price.
>>
>>986835
I'd much rather use a crescent wrench, these are somewhat useful, but you can't get the same torque with it that you can with a wrench
>>
>>987060
Hey now. Walmart has some decent stuff. I've bought several Hyper Tough bar clamps and tool boxes, and they seem perfectly serviceable for light duty stuff. Walmart also has the lowest price I've found for Empire torpedo levels and WD-40 variants.
>>
>>987073
>I'd much rather use a crescent wrench
That's exactly what someone who has never used these Knipex pliers but doesn't want to pay the price would say.

>you can't get the same torque with it that you can with a wrench
By wrench, do you mean a socket wrench with a cheater bar? Sure, why not. But are you talking about crescent wrenches? If you put any real torque on a crescent wrench you'll round the bolt. They are fucking shit, and before I got the Knipex pliers I always reached for a socket wrench instead. These won't, because the design won't let a gap form between the jaws and the bolt faces.
>>
File: 11JH19_AS02.jpg (24 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
11JH19_AS02.jpg
24 KB, 600x471
8" bolt cutters, because fuck dykes
>>
>>986902

Honeslty they are just decent, thats why. Im constantly undoing unions for my job and got one of these last month. Its a good bit of kit if you are coming across a variety of size bolts.

My only slight complaint is it can be a little hard to gauge exactly where to lock it in so you can grip while still letting the mouth slip back over the bolt when you release.
>>
File: 1402637726047.gif (2 MB, 200x177) Image search: [Google]
1402637726047.gif
2 MB, 200x177
>>987090
>because fuck dykes
>>
File: AC8NKWMP.jpg (201 KB, 2100x1687) Image search: [Google]
AC8NKWMP.jpg
201 KB, 2100x1687
Any experience with these?
>>
>>986747
LEATHERMAN OHT MAH BROTHERS!
>>
>>987271
There is a hardware store near me that has a clearance isle
They have probably 10 of them, and a few ripped out of the package.

Ive played with one several times, its really heavy, the build quality is shit, and there is no way the slider is going to stay in place if you are using it under a lot of torque. Its going to have slippage problems even worse than a regular adjustable wrench
>>
File: 41s-XgSjppL.jpg (18 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
41s-XgSjppL.jpg
18 KB, 500x328
>>987278
On the other hand, if you are looking for a cheap adjustable wrench worth buying, its pic related.
11 bucks at walmart.

Virtually removes all slack in the jaw adjustment.
There are times when its been real useful
>>
>>987271
I went to my local guitar shop to get my Strat refretted, it's not my usual shop but it is closer and they have a tech on site so I thought it would be easier to get him to do it than travel all the way to my preferred shop, I walk in and he is working in back I take one look at him using an adjustable wrench to remove the bushings from the tuners on a guitar and walk right the fuck back out.

Adjustable wrenches are for those times when you don't have the exact right size wrench for a nut/bolt or for when you have to travel light and can't carry a full set of wrenches with you, if you are using adjustable wrenches for any other reason then you are a cunt who doesn't know what he is doing.

All that having been said these do look to be a nice example of the species.
>>
>>986747
>OP image looks pretty gimicky.

But ratcheting box-end wrenches. never tried using them until the last couple years. they're actually pretty awesome for some things
>>
>>987289
I wish GearWrench didnt turn to shit. They used to make some serious quality tools.
>>
>>986954
I saw a 3pc set with a tool roll "on sale" for $65. Pshhh no thanks.

A month later see the same one for $45.
Tempted but I pass.

Last time I go in and see it marked down to $25. Offered them a $20 and walked out with it.

One of my most used tools. I the two smaller sizes at least a few times a week and have never thought "man, I wish I had a more expensive version of these".

Although the elastic loop on the tool roll is stretching out a bit.
>>
>>987287

>be working on toilet
>toilet always have at 2-3 different size nuts/fittings
>metric or standard
>4-6 possible different sizes
>good thing I always carry a full 112pc metric/standard wrench set complete with 12pt and 6pt, offset, and ratcheting wrench
>get out my hand truck to wheel these babies in
Crash, bang, smash
>homeowner comes running in
>sees broken glass and earings and tampons and shit scattered across the bathroom floor
>fuck your counter space
>need room to lay out my tools
>"what the fu...."
>he stops mid sentence
>can't believe his eyes
>behold, mah wrenches
>we high five
>>
>>987280
I like this...
>>
File: bone-wrench-0.jpg (26 KB, 544x384) Image search: [Google]
bone-wrench-0.jpg
26 KB, 544x384
What about bone wrenches?

I remember an anon said they were good to have in your bike bag.
>>
>>987386
I've never seen these before. What is the advantage? Multiple sizes?
>>
>>987386
Why don't you just carry an adjustable wrench?
>>
File: MacAntivibe.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
MacAntivibe.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
Hammer! Seriously have to have metric fuck ton of hammers. I work on heavy equipment, love me a good hammer.
>>
>>987373
Just use
>>986835
>>
>>987434
Wow it's an actual box of hammers, heh.
>>
>>987434
Those Mac hammers are made by Stanley-Proto

Their deadblows are made by Trusty Cook which make the best deadblow hammers in the business
>>
>>986747
need to bang out a few dents in my car fairing. how do I pick hammers and dollies?
>>
>>987434
I remember one time I went to the auto wreckers. Found five hammers in one day and a set of jumper cables. I don't know why so many hammers, haven't found before or since.
>>
>>987090
are they good? want to buy them they cost here around 4 €
>>
File: 1165_picture.jpg (15 KB, 360x275) Image search: [Google]
1165_picture.jpg
15 KB, 360x275
>>986747
not really a tool, but 2-part epoxy in this sort of syringe is amazingly convenient
>>
>>987060

>bought Harbor Freight hammer
>have scar on stomach from chunk that broke off
>do not recommend
>>
>>987386
they are shit and break because cheap chinese metal, i've had a few that came with various kits. any torque and they are fucked
>>
>>989354
Not when the little cap expoxies itself to the spout. Typically comes off with pliers, but that's the onlything I don't like about those syringes.
>>
>>986903
That's saved me some trouble a few times on rounded off nuts. I wouldn't use it over the correct socket on an intact nut. I'd say it's worth having if you often encounter other people's fuck ups.
>>
>>989329
They do amazingly well for the stupid low price. Much much easier cutting than dikes.

I've broken some, but that took a few cuts on 8ga spring steel (ie diamond)
>>
File: mini.jpg (33 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
mini.jpg
33 KB, 1000x1000
>>987090
>>989795
Pic related is much more expensive, but is designed specifically to cut hardened steel all day. Both jaws are sharpened and line up edge to edge tightly, so it gives a nicer cut than regular bolt cutters, too. Of course, if you're not going to be cutting a lot of hard wire, a few cheaper disposable bolt cutters may be a better deal.
>>
>>989783
yeah, you need to keep the left cap on left hole and vice versa
I cover one half with paint/pernament marker, so that I won't mix them up later
>>
File: image_20536.jpg (182 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_20536.jpg
182 KB, 1200x1200
>>
>>989805
sae, disgusting
>>
File: pACE3-964906enh-z8.jpg (124 KB, 1305x1305) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-964906enh-z8.jpg
124 KB, 1305x1305
Basin wrench
>>
File: spin_prod_206656801.jpg (5 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_206656801.jpg
5 KB, 245x245
reversible snap/retaining ring pliers, something
>>
File: 10in1.jpg (29 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
10in1.jpg
29 KB, 300x300
>>989805
I use 1/4" bit holders rather than fixed screwdrivers almost exclusively. A hex-to-square adapter lets me use my full range of standard sockets if needed, including extenders and universal joints.

On a related topic, my go-to screwdriver is pic related, a Fleet Farm branded screwdriver with reversible subcomponents and bits that can drive 1/4" and 5/16" hex, #1 and #2 Philips, 3/16" and 1/4" slotted, T15 and T20 Torx, and #1 and #2 Robertson. The tool itself is solid, and the deep, three-lobed grip makes it easy to apply a lot of torque.
>>
>>986747
I would never buy anything made by skil
>>
>>986835
Knipex...

You're literally making me horny
>>
>>986903
You're better off with some channies or a damaged nut remover.

I had one and it fell apart after about three uses
>>
>>986917
I buy klein almost exclusively. Made right down the road from me.
>>
>>986747
1/10
>>986785
6/10
7/10
>>986835
11/10
>>986903
-1/10
>>986917
8/10
(anyone who shits on these or the high leverage Irwins, which are all made by NWS, are retards)
>>986921
3/10, shoulda bought Knipex.
>>986944
3/10
>>986947
6/10
>>987090
2/10, just get the fucking Knipex
>>987271
0/10
>>987280
1/10
>>987386
2/10
>>987434
8/10
>>989354
2/10, no mixing nozzle
>>989798
10/10
>>989805
>shit brand
>not 1/4" drive driver with socket set
2/10
>>989825
4/10, good to have
>>989827
4/10
>>
File: 1462597454961.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1462597454961.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>989894
>>989923
>took the first image search for the tool
>getting a ratchet into a cramped space to take a clamp off
>expecting people to put fucking sockets and extensions back on toolboards when they can barely put the nutdriver back
>>
What tool would you guys recommend to cut through sheet metal?
The varieties used in computer chassis.

I've been toughing it out using side cutters and bending the ever-loving shit out of the sheet metal until fatigue breaks a piece off, but as you can tell, that's like pulling teeth out.
>>
File: drivers.jpg (113 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
drivers.jpg
113 KB, 1200x1200
>>986747
>What tools are absolutely awesome
>>990018
>>took the first image search for the tool
There's your problem. I don't disagree that dedicated nut drivers can be useful, especially if they'll be used regularly. The issue is that you posted some "rather not-awesome" examples. Do those look like they'd be nice to use to you?

>>getting a ratchet into a cramped space to take a clamp off
What's this about a ratchet? The socket goes onto pic related, which goes into a quarter inch bit driver like >>989894
>>
>>990026
Aviation snips for small or detailed stuff. Be sure to get a pair with well-ground tight-fitting jaws, as poor quality can seriously impact the quality and ease of cuts. I use a bench shear for larger cuts. There are also powered hand shears and nibblers that may be appropriate for your situation.
>>
File: 51hx-r0t9wL._SL1000_[1].jpg (44 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51hx-r0t9wL._SL1000_[1].jpg
44 KB, 1000x1000
>>990031
That was fast.
I'll be getting one of these then.
>>
File: 1405026337421.jpg (19 KB, 328x277) Image search: [Google]
1405026337421.jpg
19 KB, 328x277
>>990028
>use shit tier hobo freight socket adapter
>gets stuck in impact driver
>>
File: KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.gif (1 MB, 364x301) Image search: [Google]
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.gif
1 MB, 364x301
>>986747
>there are people in this thread right now that don't buy Knipex when it's an option

Burn in hell
>>
File: char_56783.jpg (10 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_56783.jpg
10 KB, 210x240
>knipex shills: the thread

Wowwwww, you guys seriously can't stop talking about knipex eh? Wonder why...money at stake?
>>
>>990061
What's this about an impact driver? The line of conversation was about what you would use to attach a socket to a hand bit driver. The Harbor Freight was the first suitable image on Google, used to illustrate something that >>990018 apparently did not know about. And for a hand driver, cheapo adapters like that are fine
>>
File: IMAG0665-1280x720.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0665-1280x720.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
Pic related are some tools that aren't always necessary but I carry all the time.
>>
File: delectable little cocksucker.jpg (7 KB, 322x156) Image search: [Google]
delectable little cocksucker.jpg
7 KB, 322x156
I know it's bad form to bring a power tool to a manual tool thread, but I got this little cocksucker for free after helping a friend clean out her hung dad's house.
>>
>>990408
Because once you stop buying shit tools, you never go back.
>>
>>991833
>her hung dad
Why were you checking out his dick?
>>
>>991850
You know, he was just dangling from the roof, I was alone and about to close up... Nobody needed to know...
>>
>>990408
I have a pair of knipex pliers and wire cutters I pulled out of a pile of rubbish.

They were well worth the £40 who ever it was that lost them paid for them.
>>
>>986984
>How come every time I come to this board I get told im shilling Milwaukee and Ryobi, that im shilling Snap-On and Estwing. Now im being told im a fucking Knipex shill?

maybe(?) you just an annoying dick in general. Try posting something that isnt buyfag brand sperglording. Just for a change.
>>
>>991963
>Try posting something that isnt buyfag brand sperglording.

Thats what these threads are for son, and only people who cant afford anything else other than Harbor Freight are the ones getting mad
>>
File: STT-55-114-2.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
STT-55-114-2.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
Did a couple of years of carpentry before getting one of these. It never leaves my belt now. Good for fixing fuckups and extracting nails, but mostly good for getting that bit of leverage that's a little bit more than a chisel, and a little bit less than your hammer. Essential for renovating, or demolition/salvage work, or denailing timber to recycle.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 192x192
I love these things.
>>
>>992171
Pulling nails will break your hammer handles so much faster. These are a must
>>
>>992184
Most satisfying tool to use.
>>
what are some good tools you can get in the UK
>>
>>992273
If you are over 18 you can buy plastic spoons
>>
>>992311
This.
But if you hold them above chest hight it is classed as attempted assault with a deadly weapon. Punishable by a two week suspended sentence.
>>
File: Trojan Adjustable Wrench.jpg (168 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Trojan Adjustable Wrench.jpg
168 KB, 800x800
This little guy... about 4 1/2" long, jaws are reversible so you can use as a pipe wrench as well... And opens to 1"... Best little shifter I've ever owned, and cheap - around $10
>>
>>992313
>>992311
fuck off to /pol/
>>
>>992321
interdasting...
>>
>>991838
This.
I used to used to use whatever pliers I had, cheap shit I have gotten from who knows where.
I had one pair of good pliers. Later when I already was using knives pliers I noticed that the one good pair of pliers were also knives!
I bet there are other good ones but a knife usually don't disappoint.
When you are working with rusted delicate shit like brake lines or hydraulics you can't afford to fuck it up first with shit tools. Therefore it's quite simple, proper pliers are worth their price!
>>
>>992487
Fuck autocorrect. Knipex not knives!
>>
File: p_miterv120_main_zoom.png (207 KB, 850x567) Image search: [Google]
p_miterv120_main_zoom.png
207 KB, 850x567
This tool.

Incra V120 miter gauge.

It changed my expectations of accuracy on the table saw, and I'm one of those nerds who uses a Mitutoyo dial indicator and caliper to calibrate the table saw and jointer. I don't use my (extremely square) sled much any more, except for when I really need the zero clearance kerf to prevent chipout on laminates. That's because this miter gauge is every bit as accurate, and much faster to slap on the table saw and go. When you take the time to set it up right, it will always cut to whatever angle you set it to. I can cut three 60 degree miters and lay the bevels against each other and see that it's straight edge straight. You know how impossible that is on a shitty miter gauge? It's mainly because of how finely you can adjust all the side-side play out of the miter slot. Pretty cool man.
>>
>>992626
What table saw are you using?

I bought a higher end cheap table saw, it was the top tier extendable skil.

Ive had it probably 5 years and used it sparingly, but now that I have decided to start using it a lot I have tried and tried to tune it. It is fucking impossible to tune.

I shouldnt have wasted the money on a shit tool and just saved up and bought something good in the first place.
I think my aluminum table is actually bent because when I square the blade on one side its off on the other.
>>
File: 478636.jpg (112 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
478636.jpg
112 KB, 900x675
>>992639
I have a Delta 36-725. They sell them at Lowes. By no means a high-end cabinet saw, but it has a cast iron top and a Biesemeyer-style fence, the most important components to table saw accuracy.

Though I heard those mini Bosch table saws can be plenty accurate. If you're short on space I'd look into those. But honestly, those small saws all come with universal motors and I hate them all.

If I were to buy a new table saw today I only require four features: Biesemeyer fence, cast iron top, induction motor, and a riving knife. Everything else is secondary.
>>
>>992653
That is not a cabinet saw. Its a contractors saw. They are not the same thing.
>>
>>992654
Did I say anything to the contrary?
>>
File: 51TAPZdWqTL._SX522_.jpg (16 KB, 522x295) Image search: [Google]
51TAPZdWqTL._SX522_.jpg
16 KB, 522x295
Hose clamp pliers with the extension bit if you work on cars a lot
>>
File: 3227.jpg (19 KB, 250x330) Image search: [Google]
3227.jpg
19 KB, 250x330
>>986747
>>
>>992704

>one end for fighting with bolts
>the other end for breaking your back trying to press out rounded bolts with kung-fu grip peening action
>>
>>992729
It's for drifting plates/surfaces into alignment, not for stabbing stuck bolts.
http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/18795/what-is-the-pointed-end-of-a-spud-or-construction-adjustable-wrench-used-for/18797
>>
>>992704
better than that, I have a ratchet with 1/2" drive on one side, and 3/8" drive on the other side, and has that handle. Picked it up from Tractor Supply Co.
>>
>>992653
After dealing with this aluminum topped saw, its been a nightmare.
Cast iron top is pretty much the most important thing to me. Then again my fence is shit and I have to adjust it all the damn time too.

I have had to resort to making sleds just to be able to square up the blade.
And even then my saw doesnt have standard miter slots which fucks everything up

I DID cut a few full 4x8 MDF sheets on it when I first bought the thing, im guessing is what bent the table top up. Aside from that it hasnt had much weight or anything on it. It might have been shit from the factory, admittedly I didnt tune it out of the box.

I didnt even know that Delta saw existed, and there is also a very similar Ridgid one out there too.
Looking like a great options.

I had just been looking at the Dewalt and Bosch saws sitting out at the hardware stores.
>>
>>992754
If your saw can be lifted by one person it is not a good saw. I have some 60 year old benchtop saws (the 'portable' saws of their era) that I can only manhandle around if I pop the motor off first. I've got an old Craftsman 100 that I need to take the wings off, the motor out and detach it from the stand before its mobile. A vintage Unisaw is a two man lift no matter what you do. You want the weight as it keeps the saw stable and reduces vibration. The other thing is rigidity. While having a cart iron top is nice it doesn't mean a whole lot if the arbor is made of pot metal and attached with aluminum or plastic. If the saw is direct drive or gear drive just walk away. If its some flex shaft bullshit, run.
>>
>>992769
To me, you sound like a snobbish person.
>>
>>993505
>a saw needs to be rigid and heavy to be a decent saw
>snobbish
>>
>>993512
>>992769
>brands
>brands
>brands
>tool that needs five men to move
>somehow superior to simply fixing them properly to your shop floor or weighting them down
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
I will honestly say that this gets used at least twice a week. Never really thought about it until I got one as a spiff for work.
>>
>>993559
No sex toys
>>
File: PB271274.jpg (36 KB, 766x360) Image search: [Google]
PB271274.jpg
36 KB, 766x360
Found one of these for $3, with all the its, at a garage sale. Great find, saved me so much time around the house.
>>
>>986747
Every toolbox needs a crank arm puller and a tire valve stem tool.
>>
>>992665
It could be several weeks before I can safely stand up after seeing this. I can't even imagine how much easier this would have made my life when I worked in a shop.
>>
>>993605
I work at a smaller Ace hardware and old guys are always looking for this fucker. I look every now and then to see if we can get any in but it's pretty much a specialty thing that we can't get.
>>
>>993634
afaik Stanley (? I think) killed the yankee brand in like 2004

The best replacement I found was Schroeder
http://www.amazon.com/Schroeder-RS10044-Spiral-Ratchet-Yankee/dp/B007521Z3M
>>
>>987409
>>987416
they're usually for working on bikes, they're lighter than an adjustable wrench, and since a bikes only gonna have a few sizes of nuts and bolts on it anyway you don't need a full blown adjustable... also if you get one thats not shit metal you put a rod through the side you don't have on the nut to get better torque...
>>
>>986747
What are you? a fucking drywaller? get a proper tool.
>>
>>992392
this kind of racist talk is banned in britain, the local bobbies have been dispatched to your location and your ip has been registered and noted. while we clear this matter up we will also check to see that your current on all your tv licenses and that you have paid the duty tax on your toilet paper
>>
>>993664
heh

DOODY tax
>>
>>986752
Jesus Christ this is for measuring the head in bolts so you know what spanners you need to grab for a job. we used to have one hanging up next to the nut and bolt rack for the apprentices to check what tools they needed
>>
>>994723
No its not, there may be an actual tool that does what you say that looks identical to OPs but the Skil is made and marketed as a quick adjustable wrench. They have several garbage gimmick tools with the same handle.

I actually own pic related. It was on ultra clearance so I bought it for like 3$
Its not worth 3$
>>
File: Bostich.jpg (631 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Bostich.jpg
631 KB, 3000x3000
>>986767
>>987060
Bostich stuff is pretty good. Its Taiwanese made Stanley.
I have their Pass Through socket set I bought at Walmart. It was like 16$

It is nicer than the Crescent and ChannelLock branded passthroughs I have looked at. It is comparable quality to the very expensive GearRatchet set my father has.

Its way better than the Kobalt garbage one I have.

I go through the isle when I am there and sometimes find pretty cool stuff for cheap.
>>
>>986903
>crescent wrench
Bought for 5$ on AliExpress, was really usefull to remove a bunch of hooks that were screwed into the ceiling here in the basement, didn't expect them to grip so well.
>>
>>994745
Ignore the "crescent wrench", was talking about the gator grip obviously
>>
>>986944
Get the dewalts. Have a mechanism for more power with less force
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.