[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here intersted in helping with my new floating home? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 11
Anyone here intersted in helping with my new floating home? I've been working on the sketches for 1 year now and i feel like im getting close. And i want your thoughts on the project. Will be posting pics. Also if you know where one can buy large amounts of plastic drums 200l on the global marketplace for a cheap price it will be appreciated.
>>
File: Illustrasjon fase 1 2.jpg (73 KB, 1362x616) Image search: [Google]
Illustrasjon fase 1 2.jpg
73 KB, 1362x616
>>
File: Illustrasjon fase 1.jpg (401 KB, 1362x616) Image search: [Google]
Illustrasjon fase 1.jpg
401 KB, 1362x616
>>
>>
File: puslespill 1.jpg (104 KB, 1362x616) Image search: [Google]
puslespill 1.jpg
104 KB, 1362x616
>>
>>986438
Fidel, are you planning a trip to Miami?
>>
File: illustrasjon fase 2.jpg (242 KB, 1362x616) Image search: [Google]
illustrasjon fase 2.jpg
242 KB, 1362x616
>>
>>986450

I live in Bergen, Norway so probably not anytime soon. housing is expensive as fuck here and thus this project. going to rent out to students when i Get older and don't want to live in such a small house anymore.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Epic op. Maybe use something other than wood near the water line. I have always wanted to do this.
>>
>>986457
Thanks, I was considering concrete or maybe a strong type of plastic, but I don't know much about what I need for doing that and if it'll hold. Wood on the other hand i know a lot about. I believe it would hold about 15 years before I need to do anything with it once I've used chemicals on it.

The walls on this picture will of course also be reinforced with wood in between.
>>
>>986438
>Also if you know where one can buy large amounts of plastic drums 200l on the global marketplace for a cheap price it will be appreciated.
I live in the central USA but anyway:
There is no point in you looking "on the global marketplace" since just transporting them to you will be a large part of the cost you will pay.

If you can use ones that are used (and you can) then just call around to local factories that make any kinds of foods. They usually get liquid ingredients in these plastic drums, and the drums are only intended for one use, so they either recycle them or sell them. ,,,,Companies that get chemicals in them usually don't do this because they're afraid of people hurting themselves with the chemical residues, but food ingredients aren't harmful so food companies are more likely to sell the used drums.

When I wanted some *new* plastic 30-gallon drums I just looked for container suppliers in the nearest big city.
They had a minimum order quantity (this was $225) but this got me ten drums (this was also a whole forklift pallet of these drums) and this was half the price of what online places wanted,,,, plus if I had bought them online, there would have been a truck freight shipping charge added on. It ended up being MUCH cheaper to buy them locally than online.

Also note #1: ask if they come with plugs or not. Some do, some don't. You want plugs.....

Also note #2: you will need a bung wrench for the plugs. You need to find a local supplier for industrial tools, and take one of the plugs with you to find a wrench that matches it. All bung wrenches are not alike, and you must find one that can work in the plugs you have to use.
>>
I saw a guy build a floating island using old plastic drink bottles he picked up off the beach
>>
>>986438
I dont really have anything to add besides an interested bump, but what program did you use to make this?
>>
>>986438
Those barrels are just going to pop out when the water gets rough.
>>
>>986498

Whatever google sketchup is called these days. I also use plugns and addons that add more functions like a cutlist and material weight. This way I can calculate how much it weighs and how much the barrels will be able to lift.

>>986502

They are being fastened with a marine grade steel belt. Pic relates.
>>
>>986438
Looks topple prone. Suggest outriggers.
>>
>>986530
>Suggest outriggers.
agreed with this anon, and it would work pretty easily with your design. Use the extra footprint to add some PV cells.
>>
>>986451
Why the hole in the middle?
>>
>>986539
not OP but this actually makes it more stable

and is the reason pontoon boats have their chambers along the perimeter and not the entire area
>>
you could spent a lot of money making a brand new wood boat that's going to rot in a few years or just buy a rusted old towboat from a junkyard and restore it. that way you can weld on new additions and as long as you keep it painted it won't rust again.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.