[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rusty Steel Tile Lamp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Rusty lamp.jpg (2 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
Rusty lamp.jpg
2 MB, 2480x3508
Hey /diy/,

let's pretend you had a rusty steel tile (as displayed) at home and you wanted to make it part of a lamp for your wall.
The thickness of the tile is 0.5mm, it's made of steel and I want it to have holes. I don't care about the shape of those holes, they just have to be there so the light can go through. How do I get these holes into my steel tile? I thought about using acid, but something faster and/or cheaper would be nice.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>986281

a step drill or regular drill will be better and more predictable than acid

>steel tile
i've never heard sheet metal called 'steel tile' lol
>>
>>986287

yepp sorry, english isnt my native language... sometimes it's hard to find a fitting expression.
I fear that I won't be able to drill through steel with this thickness with my amateur gear, that's why i considered acid.
>>
>>986289
You will be able to drill through that with a cordless drill and a metal drill bit easy.
>>
>>986289
>buy metal drill
>drill a hole

?????
>>
>>986281
that's not .5 mm though
>>
>>986295
This, use different bit sizes if you wish, clamp it over a wood board and you won't have any problem whatoever.
I recommend using a diffuser behind the plate since the LEDs emit very facalized light and your room will look like an 80's disco.
>>
drill bit
or a steel punch for expediency
>>
File: shotgun[1].jpg (22 KB, 620x278) Image search: [Google]
shotgun[1].jpg
22 KB, 620x278
>>986422
>for expediency
For extreme expediency
>>
>>986281
Rusted 0.5mm thick steel plate is easily pierced with a nail and hammer. Tape it down to a sheet of plywood or an old door or something and just start pounding away. You'll get a little deformation at the holes, but if that's a problem you an just un-tape it, flip it over, and hit each hole with the hammer again to flatten them out.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.