[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got this hidden bookcase door that I need to stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Bookcase.png (1 MB, 1910x1030) Image search: [Google]
Bookcase.png
1 MB, 1910x1030
I've got this hidden bookcase door that I need to stop from sagging.

W: 29 1/4"

H: 53"

D: 11 11/16"

It's twisting forward on the left side (shown) and I've got to find some way to rebuild it and strengthen it without showing anything in front (on the shelving area) and I'm limited on the sides and bottom for supports. Currently it's supported by another board screwed onto the right side which has had holes routed out for Soss hinges (Shown below)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=soss+hinges+212&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=77212464432&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13455505179127009958&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_64k8ub8cpe_b

The shelf sags just like shown (though a bit exaggerated)

Any suggestions to correct this? I'm kind of lost for a starting point.
>>
>>993181
>Inventor simulation of bookcase to illustrate sag

This might be the most autistic OP I've ever seen. I love it.

Below (or above) each shelf that sags, put a plate. Aluminum is probably enough, you could get thinner with steel, but even plastic might work.

Affix it in the corners or along the perimeter of the shelf.

If the edge always sags most, which it generally would, you can get by with just supporting the edges this way rather than covering the entire area. But for small materials, a hollow square/rectangle won't be much difference price-wise from a plate.
>>
>>993181
Put a beam under each shelf anchored to each side.
>>
>>993181
is this somthing you've built already and it's sagging? or are you just concerned from this model?
I doubt MDF would sag like that over those dimensions unless you are actually having this floating like a door, and there is no support from the ground.

in that case I'd suggest reconsidering having it floating, especially considering it's a hidden door, you want it looking as set-in-place as possible.

if you NEED it floating, it's probably going to need a stud up the left side all the way up the edge and an L shaped brace along the bottom.

I assume I'm looking at a cross section of wall, and the hidden cavity behind the unit? hinges along the right hand edge?
>>
>1 mil of sag

You're fucked, OP, just give up.
>>
>>993181
Can you just bend the hinges?
>>
flip it upside down and wait for it to sag in the other direction
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.