[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multi-tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: CRKT_BIVY.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
CRKT_BIVY.jpg
205 KB, 1280x720
Hi /DIY/

I just got my first multi-tool focused on EDC ( I've just begun learning about tools, fixing things, etc. ) and I'm wondering about your philosophy of use ( PoU ) regarding these types of tools. Clearly these are not made to replace a toolbox ( the one I got was designed for climbing/rigging and only cost about $40-ish, MSRP $60-ish ) and are only meant to handle small tasks but what sort of small jobs should I be looking to test my tool on and what should I be looking for to determine the tool's quality?

inb4 "shoulda bought a gerber/leatherman/victorinox brand tool-" I couldn't afford that and I was simply buying my first tool.

Blade is an American Tanto partially serrated, serrations are for rope/cable and was made for one-handed deployment while climbing. One handed closing of the blade too via liner-lock.

Above the blade you see a Marlin Spike, Phillips, Flathead & Bottle Opener. They open via thumb-knick and lock in place and pushing the black knob in the direction of them unlocked them to be put away.

One-handed-deployable pliers ( w/ wire cutter, needle nose ). They open by pushing the black knob in the direction the pliers deploy and unlock the same way, allowing you to fold them back in.

I'll prob use them around the home and on small jobs before I take them climbing. Other side of tool has pocket clip and lanyard hole.
>>
File: crkt_bivy.png (63 KB, 399x399) Image search: [Google]
crkt_bivy.png
63 KB, 399x399
>>984729
Sorry for the low quality of my pic, here is the one they have on the website.
>>
>>984741
Jesus /diy/ is autism incarnate. You don't have to insult the poor guy, just refer him to /k/ or /out/.
>>
>>984859
/out/ here, please don't, we have enough knife threads. We'll just laugh at his serrations and tanto tip then refer him back here anyway.
>>
I hate multitools. They don't do anything well. They are a shit tool. People keep giving them to me for some reason. "Oh anon likes tools. I bet he would love a multitool."
>>
>>984862
Can't win them all I suppose. There's always r/Knives
>>
>>984863
>wahh people keep giving me things
>I carry a pair of pliers, screw drivers, can opener, file in my pocket
>>
>>984866
P38 can opener
Small set of files
A real pocket knife
1/4" wera screwdriver w/ bit set
small knipex needle noses

All fit in/on my small belt pouch. the can opener on my keychain.

Also not the same anon
>>
>>984729
These kind of tools are great for taking with you on a regular basis, they can be a lifesaver in a variety of situations. You never know when you are going to need a knife or a pliers.

In my experience though, as you say, they don't replace a toolbox. For any home project it's either probably not going to be enough, or way less efficient than proper tools.
>>
File: steve_harvey_around_and_around.gif (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
steve_harvey_around_and_around.gif
3 MB, 700x394
>>984741
>>984745
>>984862
Y'all are are just content to see ( and maybe even would enjoy seeing anon ) anon get dragged around in a circle, wouldn't you? Pic related.

>>984878
I'd guess this anon has said the answer better than anybody else in the thread so far. If you need specific projects just try doing what the tool was made to do: undo knots, screw screws, cut/puncture things and use the pliers to pull/trim the wick on your zippo or something.
>>
>>985188
>>984878

Multitool threads are the worst.
It's either some kid who doesn't know how cheap a basic set of good hand tools cost.
or
Some anon trying to show off his $150 chunk of useless metal and hoping everyone will justify the purchase for him.
or
It starts off as the first, and turns into #2, because different people like different multitools, but apparently some models have reached meme-like quality status.

I've tried many times with many 'quality' tools, and have never found a multitool that didn't disappoint me even at easy tasks.
If you think a multitool is a good /diy/ tool then you need to re-evaluate your hobby.

These threads really belong on /k/ or /out/ but there have been so many faggots asking about them there that even those boards are tired of it. Very few of these threads are /diy/ related.

All that TL;DLR being said,
>>984741
>>984745
By the autistic way of shitposting by these two, I would say they are the same anon.
>>
>>985190
OP here; sorry about that. I posted my tool in the EDC Knives thread on /k/ now. I'm just starting to learn about tools and would love you recommendations on a proper set of tools. The reason I posted here was simply because I thought of the item as more of a utilitarian tool than I did a weapon.

That having been said I thankfully only paid about $40 for mine on Amazon. I wanted something cheap for only the most basic of tasks ( like I said earlier, I know this won't replace a proper tool kit ).
>>
>>985198
Nah no problem.
Your thread isn't that bad, it's just most multitool threads devolve into faggots flaming each other.

I can make a list of tools
Top tier
alright tier
and Meh tier
when I have time later today.
/diy/ might also give you some suggestions.

>That having been said I thankfully only paid about $40 for mine on Amazon
I guess if you're gonna buy a multitool, cheaper is better, that way it's not so bad when you lose it/ break it/ drop it over a mountain and die because your arm is stuck under a rock.
I never understood people who pay $200 for a meh version of like 15 tools.
>>
>>985198
OP don't worry about some of these assholes, I really don't understand the hate going on here. Sure a multi tool isn't as useful as anyone that has ever bought one has hoped, but it still has it's place.

Spending 40 bucks on a tool that might save your ass multiple times on the road or wherever you go isn't a bad investment.

As far as DIY'ing, maybe people here can be constructive (see that pun I just did there?) And help out. You don't put together a full set of tools all at once, but there are a few necessities in my opinion.

Hand tools:
Hammer, screwdriver set, pliers, needle nose pliers, wire cutter, measuring tape, T-square, some clamps (I like quickgrips, but I also find a couple of C-clamps a necessity), either a crescent wrench or a set of wrenches depending on if you do auto work

Power tools:
Drill (most like cordless, but I love the power from a corded one), circular saw, maybe a grinder (I do a lot with steel though, so that's why I use them)

And most importantly, most of the time when you start a new project, you'll find you need a couple more tools. Don't let it stop you from doing the project, just buy them and add to your tool collection.

If any other anons want to be helpful, tear my list apart, or add to it. Stop bitching that OP hasn't been doing this for years.
>>
>>985208
Yep
Honestly look for a used tool box, it doesn't need to be pretty it needs to work and an old tool box usually out last the junk they make now a days unless you spend way too much on something you're going to be tossing around

Basics don't leave home without tools(read everyday carry for the tool box)
- good sturdy knife, usually a folder with a simple straight edge you can sharpen on a stone or some sand paper if you need to or at least a utility knife
- a good sturdy pen, marker, or pencil, what ever floats your boat, just make sure its marks a fine point that you can still see and can be removed later, i like the fine tipped sharpies and a uniball pen and a simple bic 0.7 mechanical pencil
- a straight edge of some kind something that doesn't bend easily and doesn't break when you drop it and something that you knife won't cut into
- a simple wooden handles hammer
- a few screw drivers of various sizes, don't think you're being clever and get one of those ratcheting screw drivers the shaft on them is usually too fat to fit into tight holes with smaller screws plus the cheap ones suck
- good sturdy scissors and maybe a pair of dykes
- a simple adjustable wrench
- a decent set of channel lock pliers
- 2 tape measures one small 6-10 foot and one 25 foot
- safety glasses that fit tightly against you face

I gave my sister one of these kits when she got her first place though i bought her a plastic tool box since i doubt she was going to use it all that much

And all in i spent like $60 including the new tool box so $40 should get you on your way pretty well, i wouldn't use a tool bag i damn near lost stabbed my foot when the bag split open from my brother putting in an extended utility knife back in to the bag at the bottom
>>
>>985198
You can do most things with a cordless drill, drill bits, handsaw, hammer, tape measure, spirit level and a adjustable wrench.
>>
you could have gotten a skeletool for about 40$... I picked up an extra for 30 when they had them on sale for christmas...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leatherman-Tool-Group-Skeletool-7-in-1-All-Purpose-Multi-Tool-830846/202580925
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.