[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>grew up without a dad >had no mentor about tools or craftsmanship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: berry.jpg (37 KB, 439x355) Image search: [Google]
berry.jpg
37 KB, 439x355
>grew up without a dad
>had no mentor about tools or craftsmanship
>worked minorly in demolitions (deconstruction but they called it that anyway)
>want to learn to build

how do I /diy/101? I majorly want to make furniture. How did you fellows learn?
>>
File: 1460783115290.jpg (60 KB, 597x590) Image search: [Google]
1460783115290.jpg
60 KB, 597x590
>>984458
>grew up without a dad
>>
>>984458
Start by putting together ikea furniture.
No kidding
It will give you a basic understanding of how it all works.
Than star doing small things, like a wooden spoon or a cutting board, just to get acustomed with the tools. Than jump to wooden boxes and such, and tha it's just a case of going big.
Also, youtube. There are tons of tutorials.
>>
>>984468
died of heart failure when I was young

>>984469
Are there books for this?
>>
>>984469
This.
>>
>>984469

This is good.

Also op expect things to look shit. Expect things to go wrong as well. Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Oh and youtube! we are lucky as fuck in this generation, limitless tutorials of every job and method known to man. All for free
>>
>>984458
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say stay away from tutorials at first unless you're doing something potentially dangerous. Learning how to fuck up is the first step to learning how not to. Some tutorials will tell you why you're doing what they are showing, but a lot will just say 'do this' with no explanation as to why.

What are you aiming to learn? Wood? Metal? Electronics? A new way of thinking?

That last one is important. Having the particular skills is one thing, having the right mindset to make use of those skills is another. Building things WILL make you see handbuilt things in a new way.
>>
>>984535
Also, I practically grew up without a dad also. I started out by tearing shit apart. Drove my mum nuts. Then I started putting shit back together. Then I started putting it back together so that it worked again. Then I got into computers and started building those. Then I started building and fixing PCs for friends and family. Now I work in IT.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that you just need to get started with something you're interested in or are curious about. Work up from there.
>>
>>984537
pretty much me as well.
got into electronics
worked as service tech for almost 6 years now. quitting next week to go back to school.

a dad might get the ball rolling when you are a kid, but its your interest and work that will make it happen, otherwise its just your dad building shit for you.

mine died when i was 17, i hadn't seen him much for most of my teens.
he taught me a few things, but not much more than a knot and a few words of wisdom.
>>
>>984458
I learnt by working in the building trade it's the best way to learn. But my dad is also a builder so that helped.
>>
>>984535
I wholeheartedly agree, a lot of times tutorials will limit your creativity, and will prevent you from really figuring out what you want, they don't always translate well to doing future, different projects.

They are good tools, but try to go beyond them, if you think you can do something different or better, try it. Even if it doesn't work, you'll learn from it.

Also, another thing, prepare before a project, but DO NOT overprepare. It's better to start something not quite sure of how it will finish than spend weeks or months planning and burn out before you have started. Trust me, in most cases you'll be able to figure out the little things you haven't figured out yet more easily if it's sitting in front of you.
>>
>>984458
>>984458
coming from a single mother household, just start doing shit until success, and don't be afraid to take directions if its dangerous or complex.

That said, dont be afraid to deviate from directions if you want a different/better/customized result
>>
>>984522
I'll add to this, and hopefully not upset this guy.

Expecting things to look like shit is okay... but don't be satisfied if it does. Keep at it, a lot of times where you think the end of a project is doesn't have to be the end. If you think it looks bad, try figuring out what the next step is to make it better. Who knows what that is, whether it is sanding, painting, or what have you.
>>
>>984650

Exactly. Ive had projects where ive literally scrapped the lot and started again. The key is noticing where you fail and not repeating it
>>
>>984458
chieck this thread for starting up inspiration:
>>984580
>>
>>984458
Whatever you do: dont let shit frustrate you.
The learning happens when you messed it up one or two times and then come to the conclusion how you gonna make it work the third time.
Failure is part of the process, it gives you opportunity to learn.

>Maybe that tool isnt suited for a job like this
>Oh this coating doesnt work with that color.. why is that??
>I should've made that piece the other way round so the fibres of the wood dont split

After all that shit you come out smarter. Add time, get skill.
Read up first though, theres is lot of basic shit you dont have to test.
>>
Matthias Wandel. That guy is a woodworking god. His YouTube videos and website are very good.
>>
>>984458
Was in your same shoes a long time ago. Uncle taught me how to use a few tools. Trial and error though taught how to use the rest. Use video tutorials, they help also.

Eventually had an immense desire to make my own furniture from solid hardwood. I did, not without a few mistakes from trial and error though. Watching videos on how to learn basics was my primary method of making.

I will tell you, as stupid as it sounds, be careful with different types of wood. I've never been allergic to anything my entire life, until I was ripping a piece of Olivewood. I had a really bad allergic reaction. Lesson: respirator and sleeves as a precaution now.
>>
Watch the Woodright's Shop
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.