[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decided to make a private garden in my back yard. I'm gonna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 20160424_151753.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160424_151753.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1536
Decided to make a private garden in my back yard. I'm gonna a grow some veggies and other stuff. Started off with these 2x3 96" studs. Buried them about a foot And half deep and added some gravel and dirt for support. I don't know anything about making fences but I had a tight budget and decided to make a cheap fence since its only for the summer. The bags in pic related are trash and garbage that u had in the backyard, mostly dead weeds and old dead corn plants from last year. What would be a good material to wrap around the perimeter of my fence once I lay down the rest of the posts ? I was thinking about getting some chicken wire and wrap it around the perimeter and cover it on the outside with some bamboo rolls.
>>
>>983697
Sorry for the sideways pic let me try to fix it.
>>
File: 2016-04-24_15.28.43.jpg (86 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-24_15.28.43.jpg
86 KB, 480x800
>>983698
>>
>>983697
bump
>>
>>983697
Look for pallets if you are on a budget. I assume you have tools if you are building a fence. Pallets are discarded or given away from a lot of businesses, and can provide some quality material.
>>
>>984703
be careful of the sulphur/Phosphate compounds treated ones tho if you plan on doing any sanding finishing. I was making qt little edging barriers out of pallet and the last one in the pile i picked up happenned to be phosphate treated. my arms looked like I had a full sleeve tatoo removed a week afterwards b/c I was dumb enough to sand them.
>>
>>983697
fyi:
>>>/out/743345
>>
>>984725
>be careful of the sulphur/Phosphate compounds treated ones tho if you plan on doing any sanding finishing.

Oh boy, here we go....

OP I'd wrap it in 6' deer fence. I wouldn't use bamboo rolls though. It will shade your plants depending on the suns angle and time of day. If you're trying to hide whatever .. cough .. you're growing then I suppose bamboo will work fine for the season or two that your fence posts will last.
>>
Anyone ever grown blackberries? I got a root cutting from Lowes that came packed in peat, but it's just two raggedy brown sticks with some roots attached. Been keeping it moist like it says for a few days, but I can't tell if it's dead or not. When will new growth start so I can tell if it's dead or not?
>>
>>985855
Don't think you're going to get blackberries this year anyway, but I could be wrong. Where I am, blackberries (and raspberries) have already sent out new growth for this year's crop. After fruit has matured these stalks "die" and then next year they'll send out new shoots, it sounds like you may have a shot for next year, but you won't know for about 10 more months. Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm only familiar with wild varieties, and domesticated plants may be very different. I'd stick with them though if I were you.
>>
>>984737
>If you're trying to hide whatever .. cough .. you're growing then I suppose bamboo will work fine for the season or two that your fence posts will last.
kek
>>
OP here just finished the empty side today.
>>
>>985855

Yes. I'm on the second season with some Rosborough. Only half my blooms produced but I think that is because we didn't get enough cold weather down here (chill requirement) in Houston. Still..I got some awesome fruits.

Get your roots in the damn ground and get water on them. I used water from my fish tanks which was nitrate rich and the cane when crazy. You should get canes sprouting up during the warm months. If they die back to the ground during the cold months, don't worry about it. You should see the canes pop back when spring starts to hit. Depending on your area and the variety, they can be quite robust...just try to determine if you have a variety that is drought sensitive.
>>
File: 3609104[1].jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3609104[1].jpg
16 KB, 400x400
>>988259
Nice job OP. If you want some posts that are cheap and will last a very long time look into t posts. Your wood posts are going to rot in a year or two.
>>
>>988467
I was going to buy some of these but decided to go cheap with wood for now. Thanks man.
>>
>>985855
I have blackberries, but I never planted them. I have a neighbor somewhere with them, and the birds eat the berries then sit on my back fence and shit, and the next year i had a ton of blackberry plants on my back fence line.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.