[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sliding bush in alternator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 20160424_182243.jpg (746 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160424_182243.jpg
746 KB, 2048x1152
Lads, can u use a hammer to move the sliding bush on an alternator? I'm replacing one but don't have a drill press
>>
File: 20160424_182235.jpg (711 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160424_182235.jpg
711 KB, 2048x1152
>>983657
Have to make the one on the right match the one on the left (bush is on the bottom arm)
>>
>>983657
>>983658
yes, see the slot running down the inside of it? that means it's only held in loosely with friction. super easy job.

put it in a vice so the outer molding is evenly supported, if you don't have a vice you can rest it on a socket that's large enough to catch the bushing, then just use a bar or another socket to drive it out.
>>
>>983657
>>983658
looks like there is some room in that bush to be compressed, maybe with a vice?
hammering it should also work but you would need a really stable base to work with, perhaps an anvil (or anvil like device, heavy stable and with a small hole in it)?
gl
>>
Just mount it and push the bushing in with the mounting bolt. If you hammer it in first, you could go too far.
If you must try to adjust it first, put a bolt in the hole and hit the head so you don't flair the bushing.
>>
>>983657

Put a piece of rubber on it when you smack it, that way you're not getting metal on metal
>>
>>983657
>I'm replacing one but don't have a drill press

Why the fuck would you press it out with a drill press?
>>
>>983719
Was thinkin hydraulic press. Or general squeezing machine.

I've never adjusted on before so I didn't know shit about it
>>
Just tap it in with a hammer, if it goes in too far (which it shouldn't) just use the side of the hammer to tap it back with small swings.
t. former mechanic
>>
Sockets work great. Use a large one below and a small one to match the bushing above. Large c- clamp or hammer does the rest.
>>
>>983686
Awww www man I think this would work. Just tighten the bolt up and let it do the work
>>
Seems to be workin, pics on Friday.

Any amateur boat engineers here?
>>
>>983657
use a c clamp and a socket larger than the bushing...
>>
>>985279
Yeah seems a good idea - should be able to reverse it too

This is where it's going
>>
>>983657
just tap it out with a hammer. you can use a a screwdriver to tap it out the last little bit as well. its not a machined hole that needs to seal so you dont even need to worry about scratching it.

I do this with welch plugs, oil seals, whatever as well. never had a problem. had to bash out an old bush on a control arm by wedging a chisel in the gay and deforming it so that it would slide out as well.
>>
It is a split bushing it is only held in with an outwards spring tensions (the slot closes together when inserted in hole and opens slightly when out) just hit it with a hammer. Ideally a soft faced (plastic or copper) just to save any possible burrs.
Source: mechanical tradesman
>>
>>986675
Yeah man I'd worry about the cast aluminium shattering too
>>
Just bolt it on. When you do the bolt up it will pull the slider into place. That's what they are made for. Don't hammer or press it. Just fit it on.
>>
>>983657
Just fit it. Source 20years in the motor trade. Fitted hundreds of alternator. The slider will slide when you bolt it on.
>>
File: 1462025932905.jpg (178 KB, 1080x1845) Image search: [Google]
1462025932905.jpg
178 KB, 1080x1845
Thanks all. Turned out there was nothing wrong g with the old alternator, just the check light had rusted through.

A light bulb gone! That's all that it was! Should have put more effort into troubleshooting alternator problems

I'll sage as I see no point continuing theread
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.