[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your take on sculptable steel /diy/? http://rop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: steel.jpg (104 KB, 766x1024) Image search: [Google]
steel.jpg
104 KB, 766x1024
What's your take on sculptable steel /diy/?

http://ropeculture.org/2016/04/22/ferrocement-sculptable-steel/
>>
>>983523
bamp
>>
>>983523
>>983524
>posts thread
>immediately bumps
>poorly written article
>old technique
sage
>>
File: 1461104848076.jpg (68 KB, 960x615) Image search: [Google]
1461104848076.jpg
68 KB, 960x615
>the fascist workshop
>>
>>983523
>What's your take on sculptable steel /diy/?
What I have read of this method is that if you want to use this type of construction, generally you should limit it to VERY small single-story buildings, or to single-story domes. The reason is that this kind of construction really doesn't have a lot of tensile strength, and a dome structure tends to distribute structural stresses evenly where conventional (box-shaped) construction does not.

Within its limitations (small/single-story buildings) it is very cheap and easy to do--and using spray-foam on the inside makes insulating it easy as well. I've read articles where people said that they built 1 or 2 outbuildings first before building their house, and they learned enough doing the little buildings that the house construction went very well, despite being a lot larger.

Always looks like kind of a hippy thing tho. Prolly not much resale value.

------------

I think it makes a lot more sense than conventional 'modern' construction: "hey, lets cut a tree into 1000 little pieces and then nail them back together in the shape of a house!" That is just plain dumb in modern times; it is way more labor-intensive than necessary.
>>
>>983523
Not as cool as interlocking bricks, mang
>>
I've got half a bag of quickcrete and some 1/4" WWF.
I think I'll try to make a jug with this trick.
>>
>>983532
I found the authors writing style to be rather humorous
>If the race war fails and God decides to cleanse the earth in a great flood, you’ll know what to do…
Your not buying into this are you OP?
Inb4 zog.
>>
>>983523
Let's get this straight. This is not "almost the same strength as steel" as the author claims. This is literally reinforced concrete (the term ferrocement is silly to me, seriously, would you call RCP ferrocement then?) with a different type or reinforcement. And you cannot get the same results from 1 inch thickness of this as from a properly reinforced concrete section.

By the way, I once used this technique (with the help of several other people) to build a 10000 lb concrete whale. It was the only way we could do it, but it sucked ass, and I would never want to do it on a large scale, or a house.
>>
>>984467
>10000 lb concrete whale
We demand pics, anon
>>
>>983523
This will surely help modern architecture in producing even more appaling structures.
>>
>>983523
"If the race war fails and God decides to cleanse the earth in a great flood, you’ll know what to do…"

actual quote from the website. jeez Louise.
>>
>>984467
>By the way, I once used this technique (with the help of several other people) to build a 10000 lb concrete whale. It was the only way we could do it, but it sucked ass, and I would never want to do it on a large scale, or a house.
Why not?
Wouldn't it be faster and easier than cutting and then nailing together several thousand pieces of wood?

This kind of construction is common in modern zoos, where they have lots of sculpted rock walls everywhere. That's all concrete-on-mesh.

This is also used on many modern (cheaper) building façades. The basic shape is built up with textured styrofoam blocks, and then a thin layer of fine cement is plastered over it.
>>
>>984539
Faster and easier? No, there is a lot of prep work that goes into it. We probably could have framed 3 houses for the man-hours we put into it.

And I like to think we have higher safety standards for the structure supporting people than the fences holding in animals. I wouldn't trust this anyway, chance of poor consolidation, huge air voids, and cold joints.
>>
>>984539
Facades are not structural by design btw
>>
>>984493
Here it is, the owners didn't let us paint and fucked it up doing it themselves, so here's a prepaint picture
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.