[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is that gasoline I smell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 2Q==.jpg (5 KB, 208x243) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
5 KB, 208x243
/mower thread

Would there be a practical benefit to using sta-bil to treat gas for a mower during the summer time?

It's usually a few weeks between mowings, depending on the weather. Last year it was a real pain in the rear to get and keep going. Took it apart multiple times to check to see if it was the carburetor.

Slightly unrelated: Anyone converted one to run off propane? I tried before but I probably need to use a regulator before the valves. And now with gas being cheaper, I don't know if it would be cost effective. Though having the darn thing actually start reliably would be nice...
>>
>>983418
Shitty mowers are a pain to keep running in general. Back when I was poor I would just buy already running ones for the lowest possible price every few years from estate sales and shit. We're talking $20 for old whatever branded stuff. Eventually I picked up a used Snapper from back before they got bought out and that thing just runs and runs and runs.
>>
You wouldn't want to put stabil in the mower but the gas. If you want a mower that starts but something with a Honda engine. They last forever. The real bitches to start are the tiny two cycle engines on weed eaters and blowers. I bought4 cycle commercial troybilts and have been happy with that for about 5 years now. If it gets hard to start they offer a multi use electric starter for them too. There might be a push mower with something similar.
>>
For the price of stability, I put it in every time I fill my 2-1/2 gallon can. Use that can for mower, snowblower and for chainsaw/trimmer mix. Always know there is stability in the gas so whenever the mowing or blowing season ends there is stability in the tank.
>>
>>983737
Fuck auto correct. You know what I mean.
>>
>>983418

Every year

Replace the oil, gas in the mower and check the spark plug. Then buy a fresh tank of gas to use for the year and dump out any old stale gas and use fuel stablizer or whatever in it.

All my shit starts right up.
>>
>>983418
I don't think I've ever seen them that cheap but I have gotten some out of the trash before

>>983735
I added some to the fuel I had left from fall, considering it ran okay, I'm guessing it helped

I'll try to run it empty each time

>>983752
there shouldn't have been any gas left in the mower from last year, the plug was also replaced in the fall...the oil should probably be changed though, I might do it when I sharpen the blade
>>
>>983757
oops, meant to quote >>983436
>>
Can I use Marvel Mystery Oil to mix fuel for my two stroke mower? I have a ton of it, and it seems light weight enough.
>>
>>983418
just learn how to clean your carb. its most likely clogged.
add a fuel filter and a shutoff or drain to remove old gas.
most "gas" is a mixture of octaine and ethonol and a bunch of other crap.
when it breaks down it forms a brown jelly mixture that blocks regular fuel flow.
buy "medium" or "89octane" grade from a high quality gas station.
try to find non ethonol gas at motorcycle or racing shops or at airports.
>>
I bought a corded mower so I don't ahve to worry about oil, gas, or batteries. It was a dirt cheap walmart special marked down at the end of the season.

Life is sweet.
>>
FUCK I HATE GAS CANS THESE DAYS. IMPOSSIBLE LET NOT TO SPILL IT EVERYWHERE. Raggeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>983762
bump
>>
Can I use oils from the automotive store? I only ask because my operator's manual explicitly states to not use special additives and most, if not all, of the oils sold at autozone et al come with their specially formulated blend to prevent rust and other stuff.
>>
>>986036
have done it (it was the right oil specified)

if you're worried, get oil that is specifically for mowers/small engines
>>
>>983418
just use a gas can that has a proper seal and store the mower empty and you will not have any problems

hell I keep my gas in a shit gas can all winter long and it still works great
your not storing it for 10 years dont waste your time and money

if its a push mower and you want it to start easier prime the fuck out of it
my shit mower from the 80s starts first pull if i prime it
>>
>storing gas
Am I the only one that goes to the gas station every week?
>>
>>986056
I don't think most people buy only enough gas to mow the one time, plus, what about when you use more than you thought you needed? why waste gas going back to put more in the tank?
>>
>>986036
You can use car oil in your mower.
The additives they are talking about is like any kind of sludge removing additive like lucas oil or seafoam you get in a separate bottle. The oil wont stick to the parts like it should which isnt great with how small engines throw the oil on everything to lube it.
>>
>>983781
>putting higher octane or ethonol free gas in a fucking mower
I see you like wasting money
>>
>>983762
no
if you are in a pinch just use normal oil, it will smoke but work fine.
>>
>>983831
This. Instead of pushing it into the tank and using that to open the flow, which invariably spills because I can't see how much is in the tank, I have to pull back the collar and try to pour it. Pain in the ass.
>>
>>986084
If you just keep it pressed down, it will stop filling because it can't get air in the can.
>>
>tfw it's raining
>>
>>986094

Mind fucking blown
>>
What the hell is going on in this thread? I've had the same push mower for over 10 years and it starts up on the first few tries.

Every year:
>clean filter
>change oil & spark plug
>don't run with gas that's been sitting in it all winter long
>>
File: coach.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
coach.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>986621

Thats why the hook on those is further back on the nozzle.
>>
>>986622
I dont even do that

I have a 10 year old yard machine push mower and It still has the factory oil hell I have only added oil like twice and I rarely even check it like maybe once every year if that
runs great and starts first pull if you press the prime ball like 10 times
also I use gas that has been sitting all winter in a can that does not even seal and have not had a problem yet
>>
>>986622
>>986817
Just checked mine today, had six month old gas, not enough to cut the lawn. Poured 8 month old 50:1 2 stroke gas in it, primed it three times, one pull and it fired right up. It's a piece of shit Briggs too.
>>
Need to buy a good mower this week. Better to buy used/new? Any brand recommendations?
>>
>>988026
buy as old as you can get
the ones built before the 90s were built to last
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.