[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TOOLS/SHOP GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 56
File: IMAG0012.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0012.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I don't know about you guys, but tools give me a raging hard-on. If you have tools you can do what most cannot, combined with proper knowledge ofcourse.

What's your favorite tool/s?
What's your latest purchase?
What are you thinking of buying?
Which tools do you dream to own?
Whats your workspace look like?
What's your favorite stuff to work on?
>>
oh boy another tool brand war thread
>"what you dont have festool? are you poor?"
>"dewalt4lyfe"
>"dude milwaukee lmao"
>"enjoy your chinese shit even though all tools are made there now anyway"
>>
DEWALT4LYFE
ALL OTHER CHOICES ARE OBJECTIVELY INFERIOR
>>
File: rock.jpg (97 KB, 783x520) Image search: [Google]
rock.jpg
97 KB, 783x520
OP here, ill start

>What's your favorite tool/s?
9" linesman pliers, have used them in so many situations, always find more use
>What's your latest purchase?
Just got the rockwell bladerunner x2, its plastic, but has gotten good reviews, plus i dont have room for real tools...
>What are you thinking of buying?
I need a stick welder
>Which tools do you dream to own?
Everything in a metal shop, fingers crossed to work in one starting in a month
>Whats your workspace look like?
4' wide hallway, only bad thing about the city, no space.
>What's your favorite stuff to work on?
im an electrician by trade, love splicing runing wires. Also anything to do with wood or metal. So soothing. Threaded black iron pipe yesterday on a RIDGID 300, was fun af can't believe i got paid to do that.

>>982889
>oh boy another tool brand war thread
hopefully tonight we can act like adults.
Not going to lie, i do love milwaukee, partly because of their color scheme and logo, also im an electrician and primarily use their hand tools, measuring tape and snips are GOAT desu.
However,m i don't let it dictate what i buy, especially if it's corded, i research all the tools i buy before doing so. Will generally buy refurbished when i can.
bosch js260 not a scratch $50
bosch sander $50
milwaukee 12 amp sawzall $40 beat to shit, but being demolition tool , i suppose its meant to be...

Pic related, the blade runer x2. I bought it because it replaces a chop saw, tabIe saw, jigsaw as well as being ablew to cut all materials id need it too. looks gimmicky but hopefdully it will serve my needs between table saw cuts and metal pipe cuts, and if i ever ned it for a job. Thoughts on it?
Review of tool
https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=r7l_Hdv9pDY
>>
>>982889
/thread
thank you for visiting diy.
>>
>>982889
>>982894
>>982900

You are all cancer.

Try and read the subject

>oh boy another tool brand war thread
No where in OP was there a mention of brand.

This thread was meant to induce the discussions of tools, and the applications they're used in. IT still can be, why don't you fill out the questions and we can find out.
>>
>>982926
MILWAUKEE4LYFE
ALL OTHER CHOICES ARE OBJECTIVELY INFERIOR
>>
>>982927
I love how the last thread devolved, except it was
>makita makita makita makita makita

Then they actively try to get people who use dewalt and milwaukee and others to defend themselves by unjustly calling all tools not makita shit, and then back handedly call anyone who defends their tools fanboys. Yet they arent fanboys even though they started the whole cycle.
>>
>>982941
MAKITA4LYFE
ALL OTHER CHOICES ARE OBJECTIVELY chink INFERIOR
>>
>>982927
/g/ - brand whores is -> that way
>>
>>982949
>Implying /g/ would know shit about anything
/g/ makes /diy/ look competent.
I figured that the inevitable conclusion of the thread would be brand loyalty shitflinging, and that I might as well get it over with.
>>
Buying expensive tools is stupid imo. If you're like me and use them to death then they don't last long if they are expensive or cheap. But my favourite tool is probably this massive screwdriver i bought from a junk sale because its sick for using to pry stuff apart and as a general persuasion device.
>>
Decent insulated linesman pliers because I use them every day

Fluke t5-600 tester

I'm just starting with power tools and will get a drill/driver set in a couple of weeks

All I suppose

No dedicated space at home

Anything unique that requires a new approach I haven't experienced
>>
File: tumblr_md8a2p7pk11ql48v6o1_500.jpg (98 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_md8a2p7pk11ql48v6o1_500.jpg
98 KB, 500x475
>>982926
This thread is cancer. You are the mutilation.
>>
>>982941
Don't be angry and bitter about the fact you use shit gear that isn't makita. We all have freedom of choice. It's not a crime because you made the wrong one.

>oh boy here we go
>>
Stationary: Record Power 14" Bandsaw
Portable: My makita DTW281 and makita LC1230

Makita DTW281RTJ Kit + 110v charger for site use

Festool Domino 500
A new MIG welder

Pic related

An unorganized dusty shit hole.

I metalwork as a profession so it's a nice change to work on wood at my home workshop and my cars and van.
>>
>>983057
Forgot pic related
>>
File: 1401130710868.jpg (306 KB, 954x694) Image search: [Google]
1401130710868.jpg
306 KB, 954x694
>>983056
>>
>>982876
I dunno about favorite but I enjoy using a scribe probably too much

Tape measures. Try to keep two in my kit. But they only seem to last 3-4 months being used 9-5, 5 days a week.

A rotary tool. Anyone have recommendations? Project I need it for is to carve/engrave deer skulls

Maybe a Bosch glide miter saw. But I'm still good with my 12" compound miter saw.

A residential jobsite. I do most of my tinkering there after work ends. Its great cause most of the time I have the painters spray lacquer stuff for me for free. Theyre lacquering woodwork in the house anyway and most of my stuff only needs like 3 or 4 passes anyway.

I make a lot of floating shelves on the side. I build em, stain em. Painters clear em. And co worker installs em.

People have been eating it up, willing to pay what my coworker charges(which is criminal,but hey its lucrative) So its bringing in consistent side money which is never bad.
>>
>>983070
The worst part, it isnt bait but he truly believes it.
He admitted he hadnt used anything but makita because thats what his coworkers used, and then complained and said other brands are shit because they come from chink factories, ignoring the fact Makita comes from china too.

Its delusion, not bait
>>
>>983089
>not bait
>hooked
>>
File: download (5).jpg (8 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
8 KB, 280x180
>>983089
>>
>>983099
>>983098
It may have devolved into "only pretending to be retarded" or bait territory, but the guy is an utter retard
>>
>>983103
Keep posting guy, everyone's interested.
>>
>>983108
Keep posting bait pictures, its contributing much more
>>
File: Screenshot_20160423-142024.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160423-142024.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
>>983001
So how are you working on live voltage, but don't have a drill/driver? I'm asking because generally helpers won't work on live for a while, let me guess your boss supplies them? If so, hat's great, i miss having supplied tools on the job when i worked in solar installation.

>>983057
Damn dude, seems like you got a lot going on, can't wait till im at that level with stationary tools. I'm possibly getting a job in a metalshop in a months time, any tips for reading ? safety? etc.

>>983078
>Tape measures. Try to keep two in my kit. But they only seem to last 3-4 months being used 9-5, 5 days a week.
Not to be a shill here, but i've had my milwaukee tape measure for over a year, always drop it, abuse it , etc. It has a coating on the metal tape that doesn't allow it to rust or dent easily, the catch is extra large, only thing you might not like is the magnet at the end, but me for personally it's good when measuring for high hats and such based off aluminum studs.
Btw care to detail your floating sahelf business a bit, i'd love to do sidework like that, or at least make some for myself.

Pic related, its my 4x2 shelving unit, where istore 90% of my tools. Computer is there to mock up what it would look like, i think im going to build a table alongside my shelving unit, and then cut out the obtrusive leg, and support it via wood framing or metal welds.
If i had a secondary computer outside my bedroom i would never have to bring filth to my kb and mouse and everything else!!!!
>>
>>983089
>everything is made in China
can you stop spouting this shit like its fact? - Dont doubt, everything YOU have may be Chink crap, still dont make it true for everyone.

Makita has factories everywhere, they even make tools in Bongoland, ffs.

My glorious DeWalt XR (a proud AMERICAN Tool Manufacurer) was Made in Europe.

In Fact, the only things GUARANTEED to be utter chinashit is all the far-eastern owned crap still pretending to be AMERICAN, like Milwaukee, or utter shit-tier junk like Ryobi (could throw that straight into a Shenzen landfill, save the 2-way shipping cost.)

Basically, any brand owned by tti, Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc. wih these once-reliable brandnames now being raped, abused and scammed to those poor unaware idiots in Home Depot. - now, these are all GUARANTEED cheap chinese crap, I'd agree with you there, and this utter cheap chink garbage (Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc) should be avoided at all costs by the discerning toolbuyer.
>>
>>983122
Dewalt is usually the only power tools I buy because they aren't made in china. I've got a XR combi and their gas free nailer.
>>
>>983122
Just ignore that guy. He's just bitter about not being correct. He constantly pours the same all chink shit rhetoric.
>>
>>983116
>Damn dude, seems like you got a lot going on

Being honest I can't remember half of what I've read and I feel like I've learned most during hands on experience.

As for safety the biggest thing I will say is protect your eyes and lungs and don't get complacent. As soon as you're bored, fed up and stop feeling as interested, is when you will have an accident.
>>
>>983089
Odd, cos I'm holding my new Makita impact wrench now, and it's made in Japan, you double nigger
>>
>>983166
I have makita stuff made in England and Finland and Sweden. He's full of shit. Doesn't like the fact it isn't all just brand shit from TTI.
>>
>>983169
>>983166
m-muh makita
>>
Obvious market research/shill thread is obvious.
Try /g/ faggots, they have fanboys you'll appriciate.
/diy/ is about projects and problems to be solved, not "muh tools".
Fuck off
>>
>>983187
Odd one out.
>>
>>983166
>electric impact wrench

for what reason
>>
>>983187
must be new here, these threads go to the limit every single time they are posted
>>
>>983258
Try working on a car once in your life and maybe you would understand.
>>
>>983262
>must be new here
Been here since the board was new

>these threads go to the limit
Bumps to keep shill threads visible.

These threads are a recent development.
>>
>mfw shills saying their product is actually 'made in x' not china

100% guarantee that every component is made in the same factories that TTI and others use and then shipped to wherever they are assembled.
>>
>>983279
>pretends to work on his car
>doesnt own an air compressor

lel
>>
>>983290
>tool discussion threads are new on a board about /diy/

Even though you clearly ARE new, that implication doesnt even make sense.
Hand tools used to get more threads, but "what tools to buy" threads have literally always been here.
>>
File: 1460940499150.png (860 KB, 809x747) Image search: [Google]
1460940499150.png
860 KB, 809x747
>>983304
>go to junkyard to get parts
>they dont allow air compressors in the yard
>>
>>983320
>he can carry his air compressor around

Oh wow
>>
>>982941
Makita used to be good but now its all chink shit. All my 25 year old makita corded gear works like new. With the 18v gear i go with milwaukee because muh colour scheme
>>
>>982898
>electrician
>Milwaukee
Would have never guessed. Best sawzall I ever used was a 70s Milwaukee. All metal, kind of uncomfortable, and very heavy, but it took down everything I put in front of it
>>
File: IMG_4179s.jpg (786 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4179s.jpg
786 KB, 1920x1280
>>982876
Muh 3/4" socket set and ratchets, the best part is they were free, all snapon branded.
Metabo drill chuck, idk how the fuck i went this long with the stock, it wasn't even spinning true. Oh and also a set of sutton drill bits, they are very sharp though the nitride coating is already dulling after a few hours of use.
TIG torch, planning on diying a rectifier and current/waveform controller, anyone know of cheap IGBTs that don't suck?
CNC Mill
a tip
engines and electronics

pic related is old chuck
>>
File: images (2).jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
5 KB, 275x183
>>983296
OK mate.
>>
IMO makita is shit and Milwaukee is the best. I personally use Dewalt because I have connections with excellent pricing. Milwaukee are the most versatile tools on the market.
>>
>>983545
Nice bait.

What comparable tools are more versatile when they're made by Milwaukee?
>>
File: ryobi impact.jpg (82 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
ryobi impact.jpg
82 KB, 490x490
I've been using the shit out of this lately.
blown away by its performance, especially when considering it costs a third of brand name competitors.

only stupids spend lots of money on tools.
>>
>>983561
Did you also join Ryobi Nation and have an opportunity to win prizes, share your Ryobi power tool experiences and receive exclusive offers for Nation members?

>who the fuck needs Hilti.
>>
>>983570
hilti is OK for specialty tools like jackhammers and core saws but their cordless lineup is super gay and overpriced. Same goes for festool. I want a domino so bad tho.
>$1000+ for a glorified biscuit joiner; nope.jpg
>>
>>983116
Basically we figured out we can get roughly 4 shelves out of a sheet 4x8 of plywood. They're basically a mitered box with 1 open side to mount to a 2x4 they're 4" tall X11 3/4 deep x however long.usually 1 @ 4',1@2', 2@1'. Three people are involved. Me I build it,stain it, convince painters to shoot it,coworker who installs, and the interior designer my coworker's wife is friends with, who "sells" our product. 300 is the flat rate. It's split 3 ways,but my coworker and the designer take the hit on the materials. Which basically one sheet of stain grade birch(usually,sometimes alder)and maybe a 2x4x8 if we don't have any scrap on the job site. And maybe a small can of stain if they choose different than what we have on hand. I can knock a set out in 2 hours.

I tried a Milwaukee tape. And I couldn't justify the price compared to the pair I can get for the price of one. Basically I measure so much all the time that the hook looses it give and play or the tension thing that reals it in gives way.
>>
I buy literal chinashit brands and skip the middle man altogether.

I have only been pleasantly surprised so far.
>>
>>Tool thread

>>No air tools

>>"Tool" thread
>>
File: Screenshot_20160424-205912.png (433 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160424-205912.png
433 KB, 1080x1920
>>983580
>>
>>983614
where can you find these, I am interested

All I see are shit that cost just as much as the big names
>>
>>983632
not everyone works in a garage or on a rooftop
>>
>>983651
Yeah, some people change their oil in their driveway and think its sweet to pull their drain plugs with a cordless impact driver.
>>
>>983614
I ebay'd a chinkshit wet polisher for polishing stone and I'm quite please with it. Even the diamond pads are holding up well. God bless yellow people and their sweat shacks.
>>
File: comp shelf.jpg (1004 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
comp shelf.jpg
1004 KB, 1520x2688
>>983614

I own a drillmaster 4/5" grinder from HF. IT's been solid so far, though i dont use it too much but still been 8 months so far.....

>>983561
Good buy dude, ryobi tools are dirt cheap, decent build quality.

Anyway, built a rack for my new workstation last night ...

Remember guys, this is also a workspace/shop thread. Feel free to discuss setups. Right now, im organizing all the tools, sprays, parts, electronics, etc. So much to think about, so little time....
>>
>>983800
those hobo freight 4 inch grinders are the only good electric thing they carry.
>>
Computer mounted, now testing what rgb leds would look like, ordererd white to test as well. I believe i also need spotlights, 12v leds would be ideal, some kind of bar likely...
>>
>>983527
god teir set up
>>
>>983561
only problem i have isthe non slide in battery pack eventually the clips holding the battery in in pic related wear and the battery starts moving around and not staying in firmly
although if you take care of your tools unlike dickhead demolition workmates of mine im sure you can avoid this
>>
I've decided against getting carpal tunnel and want to buy an eletric screwdriver, instead of just going for a cheap one I wouldn't mind spending a little extra $ and getting something that will last, any suggestions?
>>
>>983927
Good luck getting an answer in this minefield, cant have an opinion about a brand without getting shills raining upon you

Go to a hardware store and buy the one you like the best
>>
File: 20160324_185729.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160324_185729.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>982941
Kek. I was the OP of that thread. It was a shit show
>>
>>983927
Milwaukee fan boy checking in. I like their 12v screw driver. It was actually pretty powerful too.
>>
>>982986
>tools don't last
>uses screwdriver as pry bar

Your tools don't last because you abuse them you stupid fuckwit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-25-13-34-17.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-25-13-34-17.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>983122
Made in the usa WITH GLOBAL MATERIALS

Aka china.

God how are you all this stupid.
>>
File: compuplight.jpg (835 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
compuplight.jpg
835 KB, 1520x2688
>>983807
Now that i think of it, i did have a cordless drill from them, it was shit......$20 though, cant expect much.

>>984069
Me too. I can't front, i <3 FUEL

>>984070
This

>>983842
Forgot muhhh pic

Anyways, more questions time.

>how do you light your shop?
>are you happy with it? How wouyld you upgrade it if not?

I'll start.

>how do you light your shop?
My lighting is so fucked, threee high hats

>are you happy with it? How wouyld you upgrade it if not?
i have 2 T8 4 bulb fixtures, but i can't mount them. its really a shame.
Thinking ill get some led bar, maybe one that you get for jeep roofs, what does /diy/ think?
>>
>>984073
You've used the worst example going. SBD own more brands than you could shake a stick at; I would not be surprised if they make a lot of components in house and outsource all what they produce.
>>
File: (1) Samlet.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(1) Samlet.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I finished my personal tool collection recently, got everything I might need for electrical work without using my companies tools. If you didn't notice Bosch is my choice of power tools.
>>
>>984086
*all what they don't produce rather.
>>
File: (2) 10.8v.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(2) 10.8v.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984087
>>
File: (3) Drill.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(3) Drill.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>984089
>>
File: (4) Feinsag.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(4) Feinsag.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984090
>>
File: (5) Feinsag.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(5) Feinsag.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984092
>>
File: (6) Slagdrill.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(6) Slagdrill.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>984094
>>
File: (7) Vinkelsliper.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(7) Vinkelsliper.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984096
>>
File: (8) Sekk.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(8) Sekk.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>984097
>>
File: (9) Sekk.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(9) Sekk.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984098
>>
>Ctrl+f "Snap-On"
>0 results

It's like you all use inferior tools and are poor shits.
>>
File: (10) Sekk.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
(10) Sekk.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>984100
>>
File: (11) Sekk.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
(11) Sekk.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>984102
>>
File: (12) Sekk.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
(12) Sekk.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>984103
>>
File: (13) Arbeidsbukse.jpg (1 MB, 2896x2448) Image search: [Google]
(13) Arbeidsbukse.jpg
1 MB, 2896x2448
>>984106

This is the stuff I have in my pants
>>
File: (14) Loddebolt.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
(14) Loddebolt.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>984107

Rest is not so interesting.
>>
>>984101

gb2 /o/
>>
>>984097

Have you used the grinder much? How do you like it?
>>
>>984110

Lol I don't even frequent /o/ it's just there's nothing that compares to Snap-On in the end I have inherited/share over 100k worth or snap-on tools and toolboxes with my dad and yeah a lot of side tools you use can be something else but Snap-On sockets and wrenches and air tools and power tools are just top notch.

In the end all that matters is what gets the job done but I love shit posting also.
>>
>>984111

The grinder is really good, but I expect a newer brushless version to come out in 2016 from Bosch seeing as some competitors have made brushless grinders. Also, grinders chug battery life very fast. You should consider getting 4AH battery packs or higher for grinders, I'm considering going from 4AH to 6AH for the grinder. But I ususally only use it for fuse boxes and other small tasks.
>>
>>984114
Anything branded snap on that is not a hand tool is an imported piece of shit that costs double what it's worth.
>>
>>984119
yeah, fuck Snap-On & their Ursury. Buy RYOBI Kwality Shit and Live like a Free Man.
>>
>>984129

>not being able to pay cash for your Snap-On
>>
>>984119
>Anything branded snap on that is not a hand tool is an imported piece of shit that costs double what it's worth.

I bought pic related for $30 at costco a few months ago. It's also the only snap on thing I own.
>>
>>984133
This is what I just dont get about Snap-On
They have been a high quality exclusively made in the USA tool company since the 20s.
They have built a following that actually pays full price for their tools, enough so they can keep tool truck guys in business making profit.

They bought out BluePoint and outsourced them as their cheap chinese brand maybe 15-20 years ago. They bought USA williams and outsourced them, they bought swedish Bahco and outsourced them.

They have their import lines.

Why are they badging cheap chinese pocket screwdrivers, flashlights, ratchet straps, pocket knives and all other sort of cheap drivel and selling it at the store?

I cant imagine anyone actually pays 600$ for their chinese 1/2 lithium impact when you can get an equivalent power and battery life and quality from Makita for 300$.

Their rebadged imported welders cost literally double what an equivalent Miller costs.

Are their really that many nigger rich mechanics out there buying this shit?
How is selling a cheap flood light at costco not cheapening the brand?

At what point does marking up an imported tool not start making nationalistic tool buyers get mad?

Hell they took off the USA badge on their ratchets for a while, trying to gauge how well their audience would take it and there was a huge uproar till they put it back. I dont see the endgame by importing more stuff when the core group of buyers only buy it because its USA made stuff
>>
>>984111
>>984115

I bought the same battery grinder when it was first released from Bosch. I think it was around 2008/2009. Cost in the region of £450. Ive used it daily ever since only having to replace one battery. Cool pack batteries hadn't been released when the grinder had, so one overheated and wouldn't work. It's solid.
>>
>>984133
Well you've paid double for outsourced chink electronics. The evidence is there.
>>
>>984144

Chinks manufacturing is fine, as long as it's not a chink company hiring them and cutting corners when it comes to parts/materials/assembly.
>>
>>984081
Those LED bars are DC only I believe. I could be wrong though, I'm far from an electrician. You can get LED strips on amazon with wall plugs all day, then just wire your own switch.
>>
>>984140
I'm pretty sure they only make as much as they do because they have payment plans. Think about it, you're at the shop, some rusty shitbox rolls in, you break a tool on it and nobody else has the tool. Bam, snap on truck comes buy, you can get the tool and worry about the price later.
>>
>>984144
>Snap-on strategically licenses the Snap-on brand to carefully selected manufacturing and distribution companies for items such as apparel, work boots, lighting and a variety of other goods, in order to further build equity and market presence for the company’s strongest brand.

Those products aint outsourced, the brand is - Snap-On Name-Whoring, basically - junk like the LED 'worklight' above (and that fucker aint even waterproof, jist, $5 junk) has as much to do with Snap-On itself as Milwaukee Chink Tools Inc. have to do with the USA now - namely, fuck all. They dont make em, the name is jist rented. But >>984140 is spot-on, some brand dilution is inevitable with punting this shit in costco etc. - cant imagine the truck guys would be overly amused either.

End of the day, it still a near $10 billion publicly-traded firm tho, sure the shareholders really GAF about whether Snap-On's rep will survive another 50 years or not.
>>
File: 159.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
saws and air buckets
>>
>>984194
I have that Skil table saw, its a piece of shit and I want to upgrade
>>
>>984165
The breaking the monotony of work to go out and play with brand new tools, then getting them without paying outright for them has got to be one of the big factors.

I think you are right, without the trucks and the payment plans they wouldnt be nearly as successful. The convenience is great
>>
File: x2.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
x2.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1000
>>984087
Damn dude. I like it, must have spent a fortune.

>>984107
Nice wera drivers, id like a set one day

>>984194
That milwaukee chop saw though.
>tfw no air compressor > tfw even if i had one no space for it
Also, i wish i could use my bosch 4000 tablesaw :C

Really hope this bladerunner does me good, anyone at all ever heard, seen, or tried it???
>>
File: IMG_20160126_190004901.jpg (628 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_190004901.jpg
628 KB, 1280x720
>>984081
My toolbox is a 16x8 trailer. Here's the inside. Bask in its glory.
>>
File: 20150617_170409.jpg (257 KB, 2125x1195) Image search: [Google]
20150617_170409.jpg
257 KB, 2125x1195
ICS concrete chainsaw. It's a very capable tool.

A Milwaukee Propex Expansion tool for the pexplumbing.

Been cutting a lot of holes in concrete lately for ventilation ducts, need a dedicated tool rather than just drill bits.

I'd love to have a large thermal lance to carve granite with.

Dark. Damp. Cold.

Anything concrete related. So much stuff you can do with concrete.
>>
>>984240
Will you use CFLs or LEDs for lighting your bunker?
>>
>>984194
I have one of those skill saws and its an absolute fucking turd, but I use it because I dont have a reason to upgrade since I dont use it much.
>>
>>983132
>inb4 waiting 5 seconds for the spring to wind up after pulling the trigger.

I dunno pneumatic all the way.
>>
>>984245
LED. Lots and lots of LED.
>>
>>984235
It's not very practical though is it.
>>
>>983561
One thing about ryobi is they have all these weird tools that nobody else makes
Like they have a lawn mower that runs off the same batteries their drills do
Also a cordless miter saw and even a garage door opener.

Its like theres guys at the ryobi design office saying "hey man what should we try next, an 18v portable hdtv?"
>>
File: Capture.png (95 KB, 291x298) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
95 KB, 291x298
>>982876
I like these little cutters, they fill the gap between side cutters and scissors perfectly.
>>
File: 1452636544211.png (61 KB, 276x225) Image search: [Google]
1452636544211.png
61 KB, 276x225
Hello /diy/, got a somewhat vague question for you guys

Any suggestions as far as brand goes for combo wrenches, wedges, levels, pipe wrenches, ect.? Any thoughts on what kind of harness + lanyard I should go for? Any specific tools you think I should go for?

I've already got a gangbox that I got for pretty cheap, just need to fill it up with some tools. got about $2000 to spend.

Just started getting into being a boilermaker at a refinery and am sick of using all of the shitty company tools and harnesses.
>>
File: 1440314034380.png (126 KB, 240x242) Image search: [Google]
1440314034380.png
126 KB, 240x242
>>984107
Won that Terminator set as a safety award. GOAT screwdrivers.
>>
Where can I buy china versions of this

http://hansenglobalinc.com/our-products/socket-trays/

Please and thank you. eBay and Aliexpress have been no help. I'm also looking for wrench trays
>>
File: 818339182_5_1000x700.jpg (65 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
818339182_5_1000x700.jpg
65 KB, 1000x563
>>984302
If you're looking for a basic set of speed/combo wrenches, I'd recommend mastercraft maximum. The swivelling heads are fantastic; my only real issue with them being that the 7/16 wrench locks up the odd time.
>>
>>984240
Hello bunker bro, that's a nice atv
>>
>>984274
I find it's very effective for me.
>>
>>984302
you cant really go wrong buying wrenches, unless you are in super tight spaces. The cheaper brands have thicker heads.
Pipe wrenches you want to avoid the super cheap stuff, the teeth on them dont last at all
>>
I'm trying to find a decent power tool brand. I currently just own a 12v nextec craftsman right angle impact drivier. Love the shit out of it.

Been looking at ryobi, ridgid, and dewalt, but really don't know what I should go with. Now I know that dewalt is rated the best for working and blah blah, I don't care. I just need to know what a good choice would be.
>>
File: new_tools.jpg (221 KB, 1170x854) Image search: [Google]
new_tools.jpg
221 KB, 1170x854
>>985649
Dewalt is what? Ha.

Makita.
>>
>>985652

Makita still feels shitty in your hand. Also, a billion drill duplicates doesn't mean shit. Bosch has the biggest battery tool selection.
>>
>>985781
>Makita still feels shitty in your hand.

Say what? The brushless xt is the most comfortable driver I've ever used. The flat back is a nice bonus when you have to drive long screws in odd positions. Dewalts round back slips when you try to use your knee or other part that isn't the palm of your hand to apply force.

I can't speak much about bosch. The only bosch I own is a big ass rotary hammer drill. Great tool.
>>
>>985816

All the makita's i've held and seen have been banged up tools that no one cares for, they doesn't feel or look like a professional tool.

Maybe they use some better materials/designs for the brushless drill.
>>
File: 2013-12-30_21-11-50_742.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2013-12-30_21-11-50_742.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>985831
They've gotten a little better.
>>
>>985846
>Pictured: Father/Son incest
>>
>>983580
My company exclusivley buys and uses Hilti tools.

I don't really have a problem with any of their stuff except for the drills. I always replace the chucks on there with Jacobs 700 series chucks instead because the stock ones are plastic shit.
>>
>>983800
I like how you moved your bong out of the picture you filthy degenerate.
>>
>>983304
Not the person you were responding to, but I have a makita air compressor and a Dewalt 20v impact wrench. Each has its place
>>
File: 20150810_161308.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20150810_161308.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>982876
guitar & amp tech here
>favorite
Hakko fx888 like yours for electronics
My japanese diamond files and pull saws for guitar work
>latest purchase
radiused sanding blocks and a .5mm ryoba for fret slots
>thinking of buying
pickup winding machine
>tools I dream to own
pin router and the sideways fretting rig that Leo Fender used
>workspace
like a bomb went off (pic related - electronics bench)
>favorite stuff to work on
I love to do any kind of restoration work on old guitars and amps. Fixing fucked up gear is a great feeling, especially when you see that look on the customers face. Currently finishing up a back-off resto of an early 50s gibson L50.
>>
File: 20160309_112523.jpg (909 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160309_112523.jpg
909 KB, 2048x1152
>>985867
And this is my guitar bench. Guitar is a 30s kaykraft venetian
>>
>>982876
My favorite tool is a pair of 16" Chanel Lock Pliers.

These things have saved me on so many projects it isn't funny. It's never the first tool I pull out, but it's almost always the last one I need.

My second favorite tool is an orange Pony brand bench mounted vice. I finally made a new set of jaws for it after 10 years of use.

I love my tools.
>>
File: shed.jpg (165 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
shed.jpg
165 KB, 1000x1000
How much space do you need for a decent shop? Looking at getting a 10'x10' shed but not sure it would have space for a bench, mill/lathe combo, and other tools.
>>
File: Stop-HammerTime.jpg (82 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Stop-HammerTime.jpg
82 KB, 800x600
>>982876
Why do all my problems look like nails?
>>
>>986350
a 10x16 would be a better size for a small shop
>>
>>986404

I built a 10x16 and would agree that is the minimum. 10x20 would be even better and fit within most cities as well without needing a permit.
>>
>>986407
>10x20 would be even better and fit
Even a costco carport is 10x20. You'll run out of space faster than you think.
>>
File: before after shed.jpg (172 KB, 960x360) Image search: [Google]
before after shed.jpg
172 KB, 960x360
>>986412
so much this
>>
>>986412
>>986407
>>986404
I'll have to look into what's allowed in my area.
>>
>>984288
They make some shit I would kill to get on my battery tool line

>tfw no 6 port charger
>tfw no cordless finish router
>tfw no 18v hand vac
>>
>>986428
>>986404
>>986407
>Maximum size is 8’ by 10’ by 8 ½’ in height, including skids, foundation or concrete slab.
turns out can't even do 10x10, well that sucks
>>
>>986430
The trim router is pretty badass and I use it all the time. You can also get a 1/8" colley for it and stick dremel and rotozip shit in there.

>mfw 18v/2amp cordless dremel
>>
>>982876
18 V EC Brushless Socket Ready Impact with 1/4 In. Hex and 1/2 In. Square Drive

very happy
>>
>>987047
Bosch
>>
What is the difference between an "impact" drill and a normal one? All google gives me is what a impact driver, not an impact drill, is.
>>
>>987226
impact driver = impact delivered to rotational axis of bit (moar torque)
hammer drill = percussion impact delivered in line with the bit (more smash)
impact drill = 404 page not found
>>
>>984524

>teeth on them just don't last at all

I just cut new teeth with an angle grinder in about 2 mins
>>
>>985652

>9 drills
>10 impact drivers
>3 angle grinders
>5 power saws

So they are the gran turismo of tools?

>we have 500 cars. Never mind the fact that 50 of them are r34 sky lines and 40 of them are miats and the rest are duplicates of eachother
>>
>>986430

>18v hand vac

My whole cordless line is green shit ryobi.

The hand vac is useless. I bought it to speed up cleanup after working (hotel maintenance here) but it is way too loud and the intake is way too small for anything and even then it doesn't pickup sawdust.
>>
>>983116

That's a big bong
>>
>>985652
Sure it looks impressive when you put minimum of 2 of the same tool on display
>shit guys the lineup doesnt look impressive enough, put 19 drills in front of it!
>>
So what about sockets, guys? I told myself, "hey snap on sockets are pretty expensive, I think I'll get this larger set of SK sockets for cheaper and they'll go with the old SK ratchet my dad gave me."

I got them today and 2 look like pic related. And on some of the smaller sizes, the hex opening isn't even centered. Should I return them and just get snap on?
>>
File: IMG_20160502_175008_724.jpg (322 KB, 1630x917) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160502_175008_724.jpg
322 KB, 1630x917
>>987888
oops, pic related
>>
File: 19[1].jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
19[1].jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>987890
>>987888
Yeah, SK is no where as good as it used to be. They had a bankruptcy a few years back but it started well before then. Their old stuff was good though.

With Snap On you are paying for the warranty. They are good tools but unless you will super need to have a replacement socket off the truck TODAY no questions asked then you don't need Snap On.

Wright, who have been in business since 1927, still make their tools in the USA. All of them. Not some of their shit in the USA and a bunch of it in China or Taiwan. They can be had on Amazon but I dont know if you can get the cheaper elsewhere.
>>
>>987892
Nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I've got to admit that Wright's website has always turned me off a little bit. It's so basic and shitty. But that's a dumb reason to not buy their tools. I've heard good things about them, and they're made right near me in Northeast Ohio, so that's pretty cool too.
>>
>>987892
And any opinion on Proto?
>>
>>987888
>>987890
Look into Armstrong stuff.
It is rebadged Matco for half the price.

Matco shit seems to not have as big of a market as Mac and Snapon but are every bit as good.
>>
>>985781
>in your hand

Not in my hand, no. In your hand perhaps.

>>987543
>>987255
>line up of tools are the same shape
>therefore they are all the same tool

Niceeeee.

>>985831
Were they some really cheap G range DIY tools or?

I have a 2010 DHP451 that still takes a daily beating. I have makita rotary hammers from the 80s that still strike like they did then. I've actually never had any of my makita gear fail on me bar a side chuck which was my own fault for jamming it.
>>
What do you guys think about oscilating tools? I will soon be moving to an apartment and won't have a place to work. A friend is fine with me working at his place but i can't keep tools there. So i was thinking i could use it for simple shit and it's portable. I can easily carry that in my trunk with some other shit like a jigsaw and a drill. I mostly do woodworking for a hobby so i could get by with smaller shit. I will miss being able to build furniture and other heavy stuff. But who knows maybe i could build a table using a jigsaw and a hand saw and a large amount of time. Maybe i should challenge myself
>>
>>987940
>What do you guys think about oscilating tools?

They are useful for small plunge cuts, and ripping out tile/grout

Thats it, absolutely worthless otherwise.
>>
>>987941
I still found having one pretty useless after trying one out for removing grout. Returned it after a day or so.

Just think of an angle grinder with a burned out arbor and you'll get one of those.
>>
>>987941
>>987942
So it's a no then. I think I'll buy a sander and a rotary tool for some engraving and stuff like that.
>>
>>987942
I got a dremel one on clearance, realized it was kinda specialized and its just sat. I plunge cut a square hole in a cabinet, which was about all ive found a use for it.

I only mentioned tile and grout because that was the main purpose of the original FEIT tool IIRC.
Ive never personally tried it
>>
>>987944
Well I bought one for that purpose and cutting plaster board. Turned out I could cut plasterboard faster and neater with a jab saw/pad saw and it was quicker to use a diamond cutting disc in my battery grinder along with a grout rake.
>>
>>988024
Not sure why they got so popular with all the big name brands in the last year or two

Regular homeowners arent really gonna use it for anything
>>
File: 49-00-5450.3[1].jpg (34 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
49-00-5450.3[1].jpg
34 KB, 520x520
>>988024
>it was quicker to use a diamond cutting disc in my battery grinder along with a grout rake.

I need to regrout my kitchen. Anyone use one of these? Seems like it would make quick work of it.
>>
Hey guys, I didn't want to spend the money on Snap-On sockets, so I bought a set of no-name sockets made out of chinesium from the auto parts store. This was a few years ago and I've worked on multiple cars since then with this set, including engine/trans r&r and suspension replacement. I haven't broken or rounded a single socket yet. What am I doing wrong? I thought I needed to have Snap-On or SK sockets in order to achieve this kind of durability.
>>
>>988137
I don't trust those blades. Every time I've seen them used it lead to chipped and scratched tile. Just use a grinder and a shopvac.
>>
>>988222
>this kind of durability.

A few years and a few uses?
Amazing!
>>
File: 75A1LSG-IP_USA_overview.jpg (8 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
75A1LSG-IP_USA_overview.jpg
8 KB, 250x188
>>982876
Pic related. Panasonic 14.4v. impact driver. When I first got it it had more torque than the Makita 18v that everyone else in Australia seems to default to.
Impact driver is my favourite tool that I didn't know about

An old Ks-12K Table Saw. After some tuning and modification it's working really well.
I also dug up an old Waldown drill press. It's running well too with a new belt...

I could

Proper machines that you can't move around. Jointer, Thicknesser, Panel saw. maybe a CNC. Pretty much everything that Frank Howarth has.

a double garage. pics soon.

Recycled hardwoods.
>>
>>988410
How are panasonic tools?
I have a few of their laptops, they're pretty nice.
>>
>>983258
Yes, it's like nobody really has a use for such a thing, just because you don't.

I'm a mechanical fitter, a big, powerful impact wrench makes my job 100x easier.
>>
>>983561
Yes, only stupid people spend lots on tools.

It's as if they depend on them for a living or something. But wait, what happens when you need a more powerful tool and Ryobi only make DIY tier stuff?
>>
>>984115
I have the Makita brushless grinder and it's pretty good on a 4ah battery, pleasantly surprised. Bosch version should be good when they release it
>>
File: IMG_1904.jpg (467 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1904.jpg
467 KB, 1600x1200
>>988562
idk wat?
>>
>>988581
Gee Anon, how come your mom lets you have THREE impact drivers?
>>
>>988586
I only see two
>>
>>988555
The tools are great. Possibly a little bit expensive. Last a long time. Powerful. Generally very reliable.
And super fucking light. I often get to the end of a day, or a break, and I take off my belt and I've had my 14.4v impact driver hanging off it for an hour or more and I've forgotten about it.

The only problem with them, and any tool shop rep would agree: their company sucks as far as service goes. Apparently if things do need service or repair, they are slow. You'll never find them on sale anywhere.

Also, if you're looking to build a kit, the other tools in their range are prohibitively expensive. I've had my eye on the hammer drill/chisel thing, and it's about a grand $aus.
>>
>>988643
I'm a Burgerstanian, so it's probably cheaper around here.
>>
How to pick the correct drill?
>>
>>989166
Buy Milwaukee
>>
>>989181
UH ILL HAVE U KNOW THAT MOWOOOOOEKEE IS CHINK SHIT SAME AS DEWALT AND PORTER CABLE AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU FUCKING POORFAG BUY MAKITA YOU STINKY CHINK I BET YOU DONT DO REAL WORK WITH YOUR CHEAP TOOLS GO SUCK MOWOOKEES COCK SOME MORE WHILE YOUR CHINK DRILL BREAKS.
>>
I don't really into power tools too much, but I need a basic drill. I'll be keeping it in my tool box for the rare occasion that I need it, so I'm thinking of getting a corded one rather than cordless. What's good? Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Fein, Bosch? Thanks.
>>
>>989181
correct drill, not brand
>>
>>989189
I've used all the ones you listed except for fein, and they're all pretty good. You really can't go wrong with most of them.
>>
>>989194
Yeah, I guess for my basic needs I probably won't notice much different.

>>989184
This guy is pretty adamant about using Makita though.
>>
>>989196
I'm joking, there's some guy on here who explodes and derails threads attempting to purify them of all unclean non-makita users.
>>
>>989199
lol I just assumed someone was shitposting. I don't make it over to /diy/ too much. I guess it's a little more civil here than /k/ or /b/.
>>
>>989189
Less important than the brand is the type.
If you're going to carry it around a lot and not use it much, weight is going to be important. If it has a specific use, make sure it's really good at doing that thing.
>>
>>982876
Oh boys, just go to the scrapyard, get tons of working or damaged tools, repair them and apply fat, have huge amounts of decent tools. How can you not exploit the stupidness of the average retard who thinks his drilling machine is broken if the coal blocks are used up.
just got 4 Bosch battery drillers and a chainsaw yesterday
>>
File: DSC_0574.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0574.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
This big old drill is the best drill I've ever used. my boss owns it, he doesn't remember when or where he got it. The name plate on it says July 4 1923.
>>
>>984087

Og hvor mye av dette har du betalt for dine egne penger? :)
>>
>>990448
what does that thing weigh, anon?
not dissing it either, jist curiosity.. f'sure, be the only damn thing in this thread still working a century later.
>>
>>990448
that thing has massive transmission gears
>>
>>990448

I love it.
>>
>>982876
>hurr milwaukee because murica
>>
>>984302
For levels, stabila is known to be some of the best. Or check out sola I bought a set of them and they are amazing for the price.
>>
About to buy my first power tools (drill/driver combo apparently), and my instinct was to go with the same brand my father used - Makita. Specifically because he's not a brand loyalist, but rather has used the same few tools for as long as I can remember. I can't think of a stronger endorsement than that.

Then I found out about RIDGID lifetime warranty, including battery replacement. Is there any reason NOT to go with them? Like, is the warranty a bunch of BS they don't live up to? I haven't seen any suggestion of that in my research.
>>
>>991405
Milwaukee hasnt been made in the USA in like a decade, everybody knows that.
>>
So basically, what your all saying is i should just buy hand tools at yard sales, goodwill, and pawn shops.
>>
>>991669
Their warranty used to be good, it's changed and their don't honor it for the most part, look it up on places like the garage journal. Lots of people switching to other brands. No real reason to get them now that they cut back the warranty
>>
>>992814
That's a good place to start if you can find quality tools that aren't abused. No pawn shop near me ever has a good deal though
>>
>>990448

That's the freedom drill
>>
>>982876
>Favorite tool
Hakko FX-888D, or my Radioshack auto stripper
>Click-clack click-clack, new relay's installed

>Latest purchase
Harbor Freight cordless impact and some deep sockets.

>Thinking of buying
A quick-change chuck adapter so I can use my HF alumitanium bits

>Dream of owning
A nice CNC machine. I'm working in a herp-derp version made of old scanners and a dremel. Maybe a welder.

>Workspace look like
A mess. It's bad. I should clean up...

>Favorite stuff to work on
Muh soldering. There's something satisfying about seeing something you've been working on light up without letting out the magic smoke.
>>
>>990448
>This is the drill they used to attach straps to Captain America's shield
>>
Wow. This thread. It's a good example of why I don't visit /v/
>>
>>992814
>pawn shops
Usually a big price gouge IME.
I mean like a beat to shit ratchet and socket set selling for 80 bucks when it was 100 bucks new.
>>
Favourite tool; 3.035.T Axe "Professional Type" from Prandi. Italian company that makes gorgeous axes.
Most recent purchase: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pickaroon-Northwood-1100-120-CM/dp/B00IMCQ71E It's called a pickaroon. A loggers tool for picking up logs, dragging and turning.

I also have alot of older hand tools, mostly chisels and wood carving equipment.
>>
File: newtable!.jpg (924 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
newtable!.jpg
924 KB, 1520x2688
>>982876
Hey guys, finally had some time off work so i got busy fixing up my workspace. Today i framed out the coffee table you see in op.
Before you shit on it. I used what i had to frame it and it is not meant to be a piece of art, just functional Still deciding on how to frame out the near right leg(rn its just a 2x4 leg) Im thinking a cantilever arch to the floor with a 4x4. then a 4x4 in the middle between the legs, i will also be screwing the table into the wall for added stability.
Also, i still need to add a lower shelf for tools and storage, etc.
Not sure how i want to go about it exactly , will likely use 3/4" x 3" wood as im running low on stud lumber.
Or i could use, shitty ikea surfaces that are leftover from broken beds, etc....
Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.