[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /diy/ recommend me a good pair of tough gloves to use while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12
File: MW15_MP4X_75_H_Web_735x918.jpg (109 KB, 513x918) Image search: [Google]
MW15_MP4X_75_H_Web_735x918.jpg
109 KB, 513x918
Can /diy/ recommend me a good pair of tough gloves to use while fucking around with power tools and rough work?
>>
What kind of rough work?
Different gloves for different kind of work.
>>
>>982822
working with barbed wire, broken glass, cleaning branches in the backyard, that kind of stuff
>>
File: image_61172.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image_61172.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>982828
I find these gloves with the rubbery bullshit on them are pretty good for doing that kind of stuff
>>
>>982821
get any pair of cheap leather gloves

HF even has free gloves with coupon and purchase
>>
>>982833
those hobo freight gloves fall apart during use
>>
>>982834
beats getting better gloves covered in grime, dirt, asphalt, etc
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 800x725) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 800x725
Get a pair of extrication gloves. They basically indestructible but incredibly comfortable.
I have a pair of TNT that I won and keep around the house for /diy/.
>>
how about a pair of Man hands you fucking sissy, Do some fucking labor work, and get some man hands. Your BF might love when you put your rough hands on his Smooth body.
>>
>crashing this thread with no survivors

You guys know about good gloves for metalworking? The common cheap ones are tough enough for fucking around with metal plates and shit but I need gloves that can give me enough dexterity for tracing and fitting too.
>>
>>983138
Dude, you should really keep your sexual fantasies to yourself. I mean, it's all good, but we don't need to hear about it every chance you get to tell the world about your homo love. Geez..
>>
File: Concept-TraffiGLOVEjpg.jpg (69 KB, 600x231) Image search: [Google]
Concept-TraffiGLOVEjpg.jpg
69 KB, 600x231
>>
>>983144
how the fuck does the orange glove with no finger tips get a medium cut protection?
>>
>>983141
I use this line of gloves called Atlas, they are like the ones posted further up with the rubbery shit but its a lot thinner and they actually form fit, so I can manipulate little screws on marking and measuring equipment no problem. Just do NOT use them with spark making tools, the upper section of the gloves just magically disappears the second it sees sparks. But honestly if I'm doing a lot of welding I just stick to my tig gloves and take one off if I need to use calipers or anything
>>
>>982821
>working with power tools
>not understanding gloves
>>
>>983154
once you cut your fingers off then theres less chance to be cut
>>
>>983154
The glove with the lowest cut protection is lined with knifes on the inside
>>
>>982821
Bitch mittens.
>>
>>983138
>>983186
Maybe OP doesn't work with pussy materials like you do.
>>
>>983154
They're task specific. You wouldn't generally wear the finger less unless what you were doing required the dexterity.
>>
>>983189
Maybe when you've been a plasterer and got hands like sandpaper like me then you won't need gloves.
>>
>>983204
As I said, pussy materials.
>>
File: Muppet Operator dreams over.jpg (376 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
Muppet Operator dreams over.jpg
376 KB, 1024x760
>>983186
Its all bitch mittens until an accident happens and you truly fuck yourself up because you were too "manly" to wear proper protective equipment and only have 30% functionality in your dominant hand
>>
>>983205
what do you consider not pussy materials? plaster damages your hands worse than any other material I've worked with.
>>
File: PIP-34-874-A.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
PIP-34-874-A.jpg
388 KB, 1200x1200
>>982828
I use the MaxiFlex gloves for that kind of work.
http://www.fullsource.com/maxiflex-gloves/pip-34-874/

about $4.00 a pair and last about a month of moderate use. Used them to clean out shithole houses and tearing out drywall. they are still thin enough for dexterous work as well
>>
>>983223
Metal, framing lumber, things like that.

Things that can actually slice or stab your shit up just from grazing them.
>>
>>983228
Plaster literally ruins your skin. Try working as a plasterer for a month then tell me plaster is a "pussy material" whatever that's supposed to mean.
>>
>>983189

i work with steel in a fab shop, FUCK GLOVES YO, only manlets and women complain when they get steel sliver or slice their palms open. just like welding, your bitch hands cant handle 500 degree fillets, you dont belong in a fab shop
>>
File: letmeguess.jpg (14 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
letmeguess.jpg
14 KB, 500x281
>>983231
>>
>>983231
>ruins your skin
Boo fucking hoo, you should write a letter to Marie Claire or Cosmopolitan to publicly denounce the evils of plaster.
>>
>>983251
If you really did weld you'd know better than to disregard the well-being of your most important tools.
>>
>>983280
Unless you're one of those scrubs who call themselves welders and do only semi-auto processes.
>>
>>983277
When your skin get so dry that it cracks. I've had cracks in my skin that go from the bottom of my thumb to the centre of my palm. I'm a plasterer and general builder so I work with kinds of shit but plaster is the worst for your hands.
>>
>>983284
>not washing your hands with pic related
bro you should cut off your hands.
>>
>>983305
It doesn't work the plaster just sucks all the moisture out of your hands. I've done a lot of lime rendering when it used to be a bit more popular that shit burns the hell out of you hands.
>>
>>982821
I had a pair of those. Holes in the fingers within a week of wearing them while doing concrete work.
>>
>>983317
Damn man, get some nitrile gloves or something
>>
>>983317
my friend has a chronic rash that gets infected into walnut-sized pustules once or twice a year and it's because for ~10 years he never wore gloves doing painting, tiling, and mudding. it all started from the dry, cracking, and itching from getting that shit one his hands. one time it just got worse and never went away. it would be wise to seriously limit that kind of exposure.
>>
>>983317
Tried that lanolin shit like udder relief/bag balm/corn shuckers/whatever the fuck they prefer in your area?

I've tried three or four and they all work fairly well when I remember to put them on regularly, but I end up avoiding them because they are so gross, and my hands don't get all that bad.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
9 KB, 200x200
The only glove real men require.

>fatherhood is not an obligation
>>
>>982821
>tough gloves
>power tools

Nope. At least not around rotating tools. Glove will get caught and take fingers off or break your hand.

For working with hot, sharp or dirty crap, others have given good advice.
>>
>>983138
>being this mad for no reason at all
You seem the kind of guy that is insecure as fuck, sorry if you don't need to take care of yourself because you're a piece of trash that no one gives a shit.

>>983225
these look nice, thanks anon.

>>983347
they're shit then, right? They kinda look comfy though.
>>
>>983397
>not having a son so you two can /diy/ together
>>
>>983231
This fucking faggot
>>
>>982821
Hey /diy/er, I'm a huge fan of gloves. I have several pairs for different situations. My absolute FAVORITE gloves for general use are the regular plain 'ol Mechanix gloves. Pic related. You can buy them at the big box stores on sale on occasion. They are cheap enough to use and throw out if you need to, but you can wash them by hand and air dry to keep them lasting longer. They are not puncture-proof. I use gloves like >>982831
recommends for stuff like that. Wow, I have lots of gloves though. I'm gonna take a picture and describe the scenario for each. Be back with more later anons.
>>
>>984582
They're okay, but I don't like all the nylon. It will melt and stick to you if hot shit touches it or falls on it.
>>
File: 660-2947.jpg (10 KB, 219x250) Image search: [Google]
660-2947.jpg
10 KB, 219x250
>>982821
I like thin leather gloves with lots of dexterity, ie mechanics gloves or similar. I dunno where you are, but Menard's has some really nice cheap ones for sale that I like. Pic related (5 dollars)

Do yourself a favor though, and don't go for the 1-2 dollar gardening gloves, leather or rubber covered, they are awful. And make sure it has Velcro or something at the wrist to hold it tight.
>>
File: oilrigger_top_1024x1024.jpg (126 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
oilrigger_top_1024x1024.jpg
126 KB, 864x864
Setware gloves are my favorite. This one is marked down to $20 from $60.
>>
>>984695

Setwear that is.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.