[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you do this? You know, use tools in ways not originally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: 8964572462.jpg (88 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
8964572462.jpg
88 KB, 1280x721
How many of you do this? You know, use tools in ways not originally intended.
>>
>>980043
You're just asking to die. Use power tools the way they were meant to be used.
>>
>>980043
This is very useful, if you plan on cutting 1/32 thin foam.
Thats about it
>>
>>980043
"Got leftover money in your flex plan for the year? Have I got the drill for you!"
>>
>>980063
>You're just asking to die.
Please explain how he could die from that.

>Use power tools the way they were meant to be used.
But drills are designed to drive an arbitrary-sized shaft at a variable speed. I'd say OP's use falls under that category.
>>
>>980081
It doesn't.

It'll jam up and stall under any substantial load. If it were not the case tool manufacturers would sell table saws with 300 watt motors to save money rather than the more commonly found average of 2200 watt motors.
>>
It might cut balsa wood. It leaves out the most important part of a table saw though. The fence. Why would I ever want to use a table saw with no fence? Luckily for the user there is probably not enough power there to seriously injure yourself if you tried to run some wood accross it.
>>
>>980081

Have you ever used a corded drill? Ever have it snag?
>>
I have been looking for a table saw to cut origami
>>
>>980116

Kick backs turn into stalls.

Kek

But exactly. Where is the fucking fence?
>>
>>980130
>Where is the fucking fence?
The blade caught it and threw it across the room.
>>
I've usually got a 1/4 to 1 hp electric motor lying around and like my finger and tools, so I never do that.
>>
>>980117
lol this.

the drill will flop the opposite direction with your wood right there and then god knows what happens next
>>
I bet you guys would flip if you saw my Dremel-powered table saw.

Of course I'm not trying to rip 10 feet long pieces of 6 inch thick oak on it in 30 seconds nor would the OP. I fucking love that thing though.
>>
Most unusual thing I've done with a power tool is making cove cuts with a table saw. It's why I toss the blade guard when I took my new saw out of the box. Well, rabbit cuts as well.

I've also used wrenches to make new handles on my chest-o-drawers (welded on threaded rod and instant handle), and a long wrench for a lever handle on my recliner (welded it to where the old handle went).
>>
I'd probably re-purpose an angle grinder first before even thinking of using a drill as a table saw.
>>
Plebs. You're supposed to table mount a circ saw like you would a router. THATS how you home brew table saw.
>>
>>980195
>I bet you guys would flip if you saw my Dremel-powered table saw.

They made one. Its for really small cuts. The blade is only 4 inches. Unless you are some retard that calls a rotary tool a Dremel...
>>
File: FL0UI6OGH8AB1EH.MEDIUM[1].jpg (48 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
FL0UI6OGH8AB1EH.MEDIUM[1].jpg
48 KB, 600x338
>>980593
...in which case I have you covered on that end too. Again, its used for cutting really small stuff.

Either way, using a drill as a real table saw is a flat out joke. I've never seen a sable saw worth a damn that wasn't at least 3/4th HP on the low end of the power scale. They generally start at 1 HP for little benchtop saws (8 to 10 inch blades) and rapidly go up from there.
>>
>>980593
I own one of these, never really cut anything with it because its shit.

Harbor Freight currently makes one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDp962Y9YU
>>
>>980117
And then what? How would he die?
>>
>>980593
I have that exact one. Which is what I was talking about.

>>980596
They are awesome, you are just using it incorrectly.
>>
>>980043
Yes but not as retard as that. Drills are not meant to be continously running to be used like this.
Even an angle grinder has more chances to stand longer.
>>
>>980669
>They are awesome, you are just using it incorrectly.

What exactly is it suited for?
>>
>>980043
You can find a normal circular saw at a garage sale for $20 that would work better than that.
>>
>>980598
The "saw" could flip up in the air and cut your fucking dick off.

I used to work for a popular trailer company assembling trailers. Not only was this job a nightmare, but also very dangerous. We had 220v dewalt corded drills and I saw more than a few broken wrists as a result of bits catching.
>>
>>980815
>The "saw" could flip up in the air and cut your fucking dick off.
Well yeah but he probably wouldn't die. Maybe get cut up a little or lose a finger at most. People often exaggerate the dangers of DIY tools, is what I'm getting at. Unless you're using it to trim your beard, a circular saw blade on a drill isn't inherently life-threatening.
>>
>>980834
>a circular saw blade on a drill isn't inherently life-threatening.
There's a big difference between bravery and stupidity
>>
>>980834
Clearly you have never used a table saw.

All it takes is a little sawdust on a painted garage floor for someone to slip, fall, and find a 10" sawblade spinning at 3,600rpm inside their chest cavity.

Underestimating the dangers of power tools is the first step to fucking yourself up with one. A healthy amount of caution has given me over 10 accident free years of daily power tool use.
>>
>>980815
no, your grasp of mechanics is wrong. The kickback would all be self contained within the saw, there is no way that the saw could flip up in the air. worst case for that is you end up with a DIY sawstop, where the kickback pops the saw arbor/drill out of its mount and drops the spinning sawblade down. Which if you have the saw suspended by the table on a workmate or on two sawhorses or something, could be very bad, but it would not fucking flip the saw.

well, unless youre using a thin arbor, in which case a kickback COULD snap the arbor and let the saw climb the workpiece into your face, i guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 160x160
>>980595
Nice! Got a Gyros blade on there?

Also make me a mini mitre saw.
>>
File: 84656_L.jpg (139 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
84656_L.jpg
139 KB, 650x650
>>980706
Model/Miniature making usually. Like tiny pieces of wood. There's even other tiny power tolls for doing that. Dremel just happens to be the cheap version.

http://www.micromark.com/power-tools.html
>>
>>980854
>All it takes is a little sawdust on a painted garage floor for someone to slip, fall, and find a 10" sawblade spinning at 3,600rpm inside their chest cavity.

All it takes is a dust collection system and/or a 2 mins break to sweep up as you work. People who don't keep their workplace clean as they work get what's coming to them.
>>
>>980927

how cute
>>
>>980815
>>980916
Yeah, this.

But it's missing a riving knife and blade guard, which puts it square in the butt-clenchingly-risky category of power tools.
>>
>>980929
You sweep after every single cut brah?
>>
File: spin_prod_242734901.jpg (24 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_242734901.jpg
24 KB, 333x333
>>980927
Why don't you even into elitist model tools
>>
>>980964
>Proxxon

I always like to flick through their catalogues and laugh.
>>
File: 1012075526_af38890d97.jpg (53 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1012075526_af38890d97.jpg
53 KB, 500x333
>>980043
Like this?
>>
>>980974
A friend of mine has that attachment. His dope whore girlfriend loves it.
>>
>>980043
That picture is so funny! thanks for the laugh!
>>
>>980974
I read somewhere of a case where the blade cut through the dildo and ravaged a girl's vagina.
>>
>>982431
Yeah I read that article too, idiot just shoved the dildo onto the blade thinking it was going to be fine instead of making an actual attachment.

"This thing can cut through metal and wood...I'm sure some soft silicone should be able to withstand it."
>>
>>980043

I turned a n old drill press into a nigger rigged milling machine, does that count?
>>
>>980974
On a related note, could you use a concrete vibrator as a sex toy? What would it feel like? Has anyone tried this?
>>
Why use a drill when a washing machine motor does the job better?
>>
>>980967
Proxxon tool owner because I don't know any better here. What's your alternative for us non-Murrikan 230 V master race?
>>
>>983113

Well here's a bunch of Spaniards trying to shake hands with one, I'm assuming the reaction to shoving this in your busted anus would have a slightly different reaction from the audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGU4TQULLw
>>
>>985218
Anything is a dildo if you're brave enough.
>>
>>985218
>>985227
Having done some research, I have only found one story in which someone claims to have used one for sex. According to a poster on fisted.com (this should give some indication of the type of person we're dealing with) he used a concrete vibrator inside a pvc pipe to nig-rig a sybian for his wife. This poster claims that at first, the intensity was to much for her, but she eventually got to the point where she could ride it consistently. She proceeded to cum six times, and then fainted. I have no idea if this story is true, but I will continue my search, and report back.
>>
>>980043
BUt howw did build it?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.