[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pedal Cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: PEDALCAR3.jpg (505 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
PEDALCAR3.jpg
505 KB, 1600x1200
How fast could you get a pedal-powered vehicle up to? I want to make a pedal powered car that can go 40, or at least 35.

I was also thinking of using a car battery that could be charged via pedaling to run the thing. My intention is to make a street-legal car, which would involve lights and signals hooked up to said battery.
>>
>>976601
You can make it go 200 if you are strong enough
>>
Good luck getting it insured.
>>
I can say with confidence it's more than likely it won't work as you intend.

Something like this would never be street legal, depending on where you are of course, some third world shit holes aren't so fussy but if you're in say Europe or the US it wouldn't meet NCAP or the US equivalent of minimum road worthy safety standards. And you can't compare it to a bicycle because, well it's not. So that idea is out the window too.

As for powering it, one person, driving that, pedal powered, turning an alternator on general terrain would move at a snail pace simply because you'd have to be an Olympic athlete to keep up with it.

The closest thing to this is those one man lie down pedal with your hands autist bikes you seldom see.
>>
1) You would have to check the laws and power limits for electric bikes in your country
2) Car batteries are heavy and designed to be discharged only 20% or less of their rating, lead-acid traction batteries weight a lot too, LiFePO4 seems to be the new hotness
3) Weight of vehicle + you + batteries would already be an hassle, throwing in an alternator (designed to run at low rpm or using a common one with a gearbox) would make it pretty useless for a normal person.
>>
File: versatron_vector01.jpg (13 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
versatron_vector01.jpg
13 KB, 600x390
>>976601
>How fast could you get a pedal-powered vehicle up to? I want to make a pedal powered car that can go 40, or at least 35.
that is called a velomobile
using 4 wheels instead of only 3 isn't of much benefit really, slows you down a lot for only a minor increase in stability
the fastest velo at the moment is one of the first 2-wheel ones: the peregrin-on-birk, but 2 wheels is rather sensitive to sidewinds so most people use a trike

go to recumbents.com or bentrideronline for English forums
velomobile.de for German

-------

pic related is an ancient racing HPV.
no longer competitive, and not real practical for street use either
looks sweet tho
>>
>>976601
You live in fantasy land. What your talking about is a velocar they exist but do not get anywhere that fast.
>>
>>976601
You live in fantasy land it will never go that fast. Your not orginal at all. Many people have tried and failed at this idea.
Google velomobile
>>
>>976601
> How fast could you get a pedal-powered vehicle up to?
About like a normal bicycle if designed correctly.
Hills are a problem because the contraption will typically weigh more than a bicycle.

> My intention is to make a street-legal car
You actually can do this in many US locales but it must have only 3 wheels and will fall under "moped" rules. You also won't be able to use the sidewalk like you can with a bicycle.

Getting a 4 wheeled experimental vehicle registered and insured is quite a hassle in most places.
>>
>>976601
> My intention is to make a street-legal car
OP I was considering all this a while back and decided to just go with a two wheeled Ebike instead.

If the device has only 3 wheels and is powered by <=1hp with a 20mph top speed it will likely fall under Federal electric bicycle rules, that means no registration or insurance hassles and it can even be used in a bike lane.
A problem is that in most cities there is often very little road shoulder with no bike lane. You
will then wind up upsetting lots of cars that have to go around you and you cannot resort to the sidewalk.
This can be mitigated somewhat by going under moped rules (where allowed) which will allow higher speeds and more motor horsepower (2hp in my state) to keep up with the traffic flow.
One downside is users often report law enforcement stops and trips to court
because the vehicle may appear strange
or be of uncertain street legality.

An Ebike with two wheels takes up less shoulder space, and if you ride responsibly they probably won't bother you for borrowing the sidewalk when needed.
>>
>>976602
If you're not going to fucking contribute, AND post something as funny as this, please refrain from doing so in the FUCKING first place.
>>
>>976988
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the boss of 4chan.
You better do what he says, or... something bad will happen I guess.
>>
File: 3WATV.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
3WATV.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
>>976685
> You actually can do this in many US locales but it must have only 3 wheels and will fall under "moped" rules.
If the OP's vehicle is powered by a motor, there can be another problem.
At the municipal (city) level they will sometimes pass special ordinances, that are directed at <pic related> 3W sport RV's.
I guess they don't want too much sporting, horseplay, noise, or they just don't like them.

This will tend to get inventors of experimental/eco-friendly vehicles tangled up in restrictive law.
>>
>>976601
> How fast could you get a pedal-powered vehicle up to?
Top speed is determined by aerodynamics. The record for a cycle slipstreaming a powered vehicle is 167 mph. For a flat surface with no aerodynamic advantage (tailwind or slipstream), it's 86 mph.

> I want to make a pedal powered car that can go 40, or at least 35.
That's feasible. Look up velomobiles; these are 2-wheeled or (more usually) 3-wheeled recumbent (feet-forward) cycles with aerodynamic fairing.

> I was also thinking of using a car battery that could be charged via pedaling to run the thing.
You'll avoid a shitload of regulations if you stick to pedal power. Electric cycles typically have to be speed-limited, anything above that is a moped or motorcycle which may require roadworthiness certification, driver licensing, liability insurance, etc. 4 wheels basically makes it an electric car, with most of the same restrictions as any other car (i.e. you'll need to haul half a ton of impact cage around with you).
>>
>>976601
>My intention is to make a street-legal car

The idea of a pedal/electric hybrid lightweight 4-wheel vehicle that can manuever on roads
with 30-35mph average trafic speed (90% of streets in some cities) is an intriguing one.

Current US law is not very supportive of this concept. Other posts have good information on the regulatory issues.

One thing not mentioned so far is a class of vehicle called NEV, which stands for Neighborhood Electric Vehicle.
The good news is there is no mumbo-jumbo about the number of wheels used, and an experimental NEV can be more
easily certified than a "real car".
The bad news is the top speed allowed is only 25 mph, better than an ebike, but still a little short for merging with typical
metropolitan traffic properly. There are also tags and insurance needed for operation.
>>
>>977361
It's faggot 12 year olds like yourself that are shutting up this once good site.
>>
>>977726
Quick addendum:
The NEV specification is not specifically for pedal powered vehicles, but I don't believe it prohibits a hybrid human/electric power design.
>>
>>976601
>>
>>976601
Just use a 2-stroke motor less than 49cc and a bicycle. Or buy a moped. Both are regulated the same as a bicycle in most areas.
>>
>>976685
>You actually can do this in many US locales but it must have only 3 wheels and will fall under "moped" rules.
Okay, here is some Factologies:
1. in the USA there is no national-level rules about motorized bicycles, each state has their own laws
2. no state has a law "allowing" motorized bicycles, but some states have laws prohibiting them (in the USA with bicycles, anything not specifically prohibited is usually allowed. with cars it's the other way around: anything not specifically allowed is prohibited)
3. even if the state doesn't prohibit them, some cities have ordinances prohibiting them
4. putting a motor on a bicycle does not automatically "make it a moped" in any US state; a moped is a specific class of federally-defined motor vehicle with a bunch of requirements (other than an engine) that bicycles don't have.
5. 2 or 3 states allow you to register & license a motorized bicycle as a moped (with license plates and everything) but the others don't
6. if it has a motor and that is not allowed and police stop you, then you may get a ticket for "operating an unregistered motorized vehicle on public roads"
7. some states say that a bicycle must have 3 wheels or less
8. some states just prohibit gas engines, but allow electric
9. some states say that you must be 16 or older to operate a motorized bicycle

Many US states don't have any law specifically allowing or prohibiting motorized bicycles.

Even in places where they are technically not allowed, many (US) police don't give a shit as long as you're not doing anything stupid.

In some places (NYC and Chicago are two famous examples) the police are total dickwads about it; they will give you a ticket no matter how slow and safe you were riding.
>>
>>977967
Your post is misleading.
First some background. The term "Ebike" can be used in different ways.
It can refer to a bike that does meet some specification or just any bike with an electric motor.
For this post only lets call an Ebike that has a motor <=1hp and a top speed <=20mph an EBike_bicycle
let's call any other bicycle with a motor on it an EBike_plus

> Okay, here is some Factologies:
> 1. in the USA there is no national-level rules about motorized bicycles, each state has their own laws
For Ebike_bicycles there are specific newer laws, for Ebike_plus's it's more vague and some may fall under long existing moped rules.

> 2. no state has a law "allowing" motorized bicycles, but some states have laws prohibiting them
An Ebike_bicycle is legally a normal bicycle under federal law so to do this they would have to illegalize bicycles.
Several US court cases have already happened on this matter.

> (in the USA with bicycles, anything not specifically prohibited is usually allowed.
> with cars it's the other way around: anything not specifically allowed is prohibited)
This is nonsense. If there is no law then you can do it.

> 3. even if the state doesn't prohibit them, some cities have ordinances prohibiting them
See #2 answer.

> 4. putting a motor on a bicycle does not automatically "make it a moped" in any US state;
Correct, it could exceed the moped HP rating for example.

> a moped is a specific class of federally-defined motor vehicle with a bunch of requirements (other than an engine) that bicycles don't have.
You need to understand that an Ebike_bicycle is the same way now - has a specific Federal definition.

> 5. 2 or 3 states allow you to register & license a motorized bicycle as a moped (with license plates and everything) but the others don't
Not sure what the breakdown is there, my understanding is mopeds usually DO NOT have to be registered/ insured, in any case you
you would be refering to an Ebike_plus.
>>
>>977967
continued...

> 6. if it has a motor and that is not allowed and police stop you, then you may get a ticket for "operating an unregistered motorized vehicle on public roads"
> 7. some states say that a bicycle must have 3 wheels or less
> 8. some states just prohibit gas engines, but allow electric
> 9. some states say that you must be 16 or older to operate a motorized bicycle
> Many US states don't have any law specifically allowing or prohibiting motorized bicycles.
All this is close enough I guess.

> Even in places where they are technically not allowed, many (US) police don't give a shit as long as you're not doing anything stupid.
> In some places (NYC and Chicago are two famous examples) the police are total dickwads about it;
> they will give you a ticket no matter how slow and safe you were riding.
See #2 again.
For Ebike_plus you are right, some places let you zoom around outside of the Ebike_bicycle speed no problem, others may not.
>>
>>978190
> anything not specifically allowed is prohibited)
> This is nonsense. If there is no law then you can do it.

it may be nonsense but the governments got us all thinkin we live in a FUCKING TOTALITARIAN POLICE STATE
>>
>>977967
>5. 2 or 3 states allow you to register & license a motorized bicycle as a moped (with license plates and everything) but the others don't

This website
http://www.moped2.org/mstates.htm
has a compendium of links to state statutes and comments from users of mopeds.

Overall you can sense the legal requirements state to state consist of a confusing hodgepodge of arbitrary regulation.
It looks to me like there are more than 2 or 3 that would allow an Ebike_plus to claim it's a moped.
>>
File: alton_brown_thumb_565x377.jpg (59 KB, 553x369) Image search: [Google]
alton_brown_thumb_565x377.jpg
59 KB, 553x369
>>976988
Easy there, no need to get heated.
If you had an ounce of critical thinking, you'd have asked the question "How fast can you pedal a bike?" and gotten your answer
>>
>>976601
Suppose you stuck with just pedal power.
Imagine a "car" similiar to OP pic (4 wheels) but with totally enclosed aerodynamic fairing.
Assume the operator of the vehicle could indeed pedal to 40mph or so to keep in flow with urban traffic.
So the operator just joins in with other cars and uses intersection left turn lanes etc.

Is this legal in U.S. ?

What classification would the vehicle be in (if any) ?

Suppose the vehicle is in the right lane moving slow at times. Would it be cited for obstructing traffic ?
>>
>>977730
No it's people that rage for no reason that ruin a place, let people tell a joke or two in a thread, what's the worst that happens? He bumps your thread so others can see it easily. People have given you all this information and you're just raging at some joke. People are less likely to help you if you act like a dick.
>>
>>976601
For a 3 wheeled vehicle which is better the 2 wheels in front or at the rear ?
>>
>>978244
some american states allow for up to 750 watts because a fucking horse is a reasonable amount of power on a road without calling it a car unlike the EU standard where a third of a horse is a reasonable amount of power. depends on the state though. 750w gets me up hills at 30km/h and 50 on flatish roads and over 60 on downhill.

texas, vermont, illinois and florida have absolutely no limit on the amount of power though. ebikes are completely illegal in new york.
>>
>>978268
yes. you can ride a bicycle on the road and you must obey all the road laws. a bicycle is defined as a two wheeled vehicle though.4 wheels will get you v&.

what the fuck is with not being legally required to wear a helmet in so many states? that is retarded. I may live in a commie country but fuck me, wear a goddamn helmet you will die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Comparison_of_state_rules_and_regulations
>>
>>978304
>>978305

In 2001, the U. S. Congress passed Public Law 107-319 which exempts electric bikes under 750 watts and limited to 20 mph (with operating pedals) from the legal definition of a motor vehicle.

Some states have passed their own laws, but states cannot constitutionally pass legislation that reduces or eliminates Federal laws. An electric bike is legally a bicycle, so you can use it wherever and however you're able to use a standard bicycle.
>>
>>978305
This post offers nothing to the discussion except some whining about helmet laws and a link to
some Wiki info filled with errors.
Don't trust Wiki.
>>
>>978350
>states cannot constitutionally pass legislation that reduces or eliminates Federal laws
By that logic, a Bugatti Veyron would be a bicycle if you put a bicycle in the boot.
>>
>>978350
I envy americans. I still ride a 750w bike but its illegal in the peoples communist republic of emunistan
>>
Maybe have the pedals wind a spring???
>>
>>976601
Fun play idea to explore but won't work because physics. Pedal a bicycle instead and get /fit/.
>>
>>978375
> By that logic, a Bugatti Veyron would be a bicycle if you put a bicycle in the boot.
How so ?
>>
>>978406
> Maybe have the pedals wind a spring???
In regulatory matters they often cite something like "human power" so spring power or something like storing energy as compressed air
might be identified as "other than human power" when actually used, and you would find yourself in a legal mess.

The concept might be usefull though for managing hills. A springlike storage apparatus could store part of the general
use energy from "human power" or "downhill gravity power" or other, to be used during short hill climbs, non of which would necessarilly involve
a traditional gas or electric motor.
>>
>>978190
>Your post is misleading.
>First some background. The term "Ebike" can be used in different ways.
>It can refer to a bike that does meet some specification or just any bike with an electric motor.
>For this post only lets call an Ebike that has a motor <=1hp and a top speed <=20mph an EBike_bicycle
There is a US federal definition for low speed (<20 mph) electric bicycles now, but it only exempts them from motor vehicle safety rules.
It does not require that the separate states allow the use of such bicycles at all.
http://www.electric-bikes.com/bikes/legal.html
>>
File: twike.jpg (14 KB, 380x262) Image search: [Google]
twike.jpg
14 KB, 380x262
>>976601
Hi Anon, I thought about the same project since few months. In wich country are you ?
>>
I know a guy who has a recumbent bicycle and he said he had done 55 miles an hour pedalling on flat . I guess if you had the right gearing sorted and a light frame you could too .

. i'd stick with your legs as power although light up turn signals would be cool . might be best to have a flag as well so cars can see you
>>
>>976601
Easily doable if you have the correct design and are moderately fit. I mean even 50mph on a bike isn't that much.

If you want to use a battery and have it charged on board, you should know there are current pedal cars that have solar panels. Check out the "Elf". Also, you can use regenerative breaking to help recharge your battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQzLMIXOJ0

You have to remember that for a non-licensed vehicle like the Elf you have to go below 20mph. However, if you get it full licensed, insured, and street legal then you can do whatever you want. Getting safety tests passed may be a problem. It really depends on where you live or even what state you live in. There may be crumple crash test requirements too.
>>
>>976988
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>978350

> states cannot constitutionally pass legislation that reduces or eliminates Federal laws.

The 10th amendment disagrees with you sir.
>>
>>979837
It's about air resistance profile. On a typical bike, at about 30mph half of your energy is spent only overcoming wind. Lowering your profile and using lightweight materials to improve aerodynamic can significantly improve your top speed, both can be accomplished on a recumbent. Plus, a recumbent also lets you put more leg strength into the pedals where a standard design somewhat limits it to your weight potential. Recumbent is definitely the way to go.
>>
>>978350
>Some states have passed their own laws, but states cannot constitutionally pass legislation that reduces or eliminates Federal laws

Nation wide no, but how do you explain the legality of weed to anyone in Colorado?
>>
>>978350
States are their own countries. The USA is like the UN in that respect. This is why some states choose not to abide by some of the federal laws. However, they do have ramifications for doing that. Usually in the form of reduced federal funds for various things like schools and such.
>>
>>978305
But studies don't show that helmets reduce risk of injury anon. Helmet wearing is lowest in countries with most bike riders. Cars drive closer to people wearing helmets, and they obstruct vision and hearing. Plus they're annoying and mess up your hair.

Besides all that, the suggestion that you need to wear a helmet when riding a bike but not anything else is ridiculous. The chances of getting a head injury when riding a bike are barely higher than getting a head injury when walking. And those chances are pretty low. You're much more likely to sustain a head injury while driving a car, but why does nobody whine that car drivers aren't required to wear helmets? It's a huge hassle and expense for a marginal increase in safety.

Plus, even if it were a good idea, why would you want to make it a law? You have the right to wear a helmet if you want, and you can force your kids to wear helmets if you want too. What other people do has no impact on your life. It's not like drugs, where you can at least argue that you don't want people doing drugs near you.
>>
>>979982
That's not how the 10th Amendment works, you lolbertarian retard.
>>
>>980029
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY
Actually, pedestrians sustain more brain injuries than cyclists.

So yeah, let's mandate that everyone wear a helmet when walking around outside.
>>
>>980001
Marijuana is a DEA schedule I drug and remains illegal under Federal Law in all 50 states and territories under US control.

The fact that the Obama Administration has chosen to not enforce the laws passed by Congress doesn't make it legal.

The next President could choose to start enforcing the law any time they wish.
>>
>>976601
How big of a hill do you have?
>>
>>980032

People really need to start asking themselves why Prohibition required a constitutional amendment.

By the 10th amendment, any state law will override a federal law in the United States code, providing the federal law in question is not a power specifically granted to the federal government in the constitution, and the state law in question does not run contrary to the United States constitution.
>>
>>976601
>How fast could you get a pedal-powered vehicle up to? I want to make a pedal powered car that can go 40, or at least 35.

I imagine that as long as you have enough big things turning small things it is possible

>I was also thinking of using a car battery that could be charged via pedaling to run the thing. My intention is to make a street-legal car, which would involve lights and signals hooked up to said battery.

Have fun pedaling for hours to move an inch.
>>
>>976611
>The closest thing to this is those one man lie down pedal with your hands autist bikes you seldom see.

Kekd hard.

Also op, there's a very slim chance that would be street legal forget efficient. Why don't you buy a carriage bike a drive people around to get those sweet fuel points?
>>
>>980032
>10th Amendment
>>980127
this. the guberment pretty much just exists to keep a vanguard to stop jewishness and pirates and perpetual fear of the british returning. the federal government's laws arnt valid regarding anything else. this is why for instance, california's pot legislation was never in contravention of article 6. because although congress had passed laws, those laws were never valid.

I dont know what riding a bicycle has to do with the federal government at all. fuck me, get away from my bike goddamn federalists.
>>
>>979893
>Easily doable if you have the correct design and are moderately fit. I mean even 50mph on a bike isn't that much.
You must be joking, or know nothing about physiology, aerodynamics or physics. MIT published a book called "Bicycling Science". Olympic athletes can put out maybe 1HP, most people will struggle to make 1/10 HP. 50MPH is a big deal, and quite insurmountable to non-athletes. It's all about sustaining the speed with continuous physical output.
>>
>>979994
>half of your energy is spent only overcoming wind
Actually, air resistance is more the cube of the speed, the drag coefficient being 1 for a typical bike, like a box or brick.
>a recumbent also lets you put more leg strength into the pedals where a standard design somewhat limits it to your weight
This is the reason why recumbents can't climb hills easily. You can't put your weight into the pedals.
>>
>>979893
>Easily doable if you have the correct design and are moderately fit. I mean even 50mph on a bike isn't that much.
50 is pretty tough IRL.
The Versatron Vector in an earlier post
>>976673
is from the 1980's, it was the best at the time and I think it was the first to break 50 mph. That was with an Olympic-level rider in it.
most normal (non-bicycling) people can cruise at 10-15 mph on a bicycle comfortably.
Guys with better full-aero velomobiles say you can cruise at 30-35 depending on various factors.

the Battle Mountain bikes are up to 80mph+ now, but they are tiny and cramped, and totally impractical for road use.

>If you want to use a battery and have it charged on board, you should know there are current pedal cars that have solar panels. Check out the "Elf".
the solar panels are expensive and generally contribute very little over all to the usable run times.

>Also, you can use regenerative breaking to help recharge your battery.
this doesn't help much in actual use.
The Bionx systems have had regenerative braking for a long time, and they are one of the best e-bike complete systems around.
(they are also one of the very-very-few that will print actual distance/speed performance numbers)
Bionx users (on endlessSphere) have reported that regenerative braking makes very little difference in use, unless you happen to be coasting down the side of a mountain. Typically, it only adds about 5% on to the total runtime/distances they can get.
>>
>>981112
>50 is pretty tough IRL.

lol No. Get a bike with some proper gearing.

>it was the best at the time and I think it was the first to break 50 mph

That is utterly laughable.

>You must be joking, or know nothing about physiology, aerodynamics or physics.

I've been up to 62mph on the track. A friend oh mine hit 70 something, but he's one of those jock types. 50mph is not at all a big deal that is horse shit. I have no clue what their problem is. I didn't do 62mph for miles on end or anything, that's be fucking retarded.
>>
>>981176
>A friend of mine hit 70 something mph.
No.
>>
>>978897
REAL MOFUCKIN TWINGO HOURS
E
A
L

M
O
F
U
C
K
I
N

T
W
I
N
G
O

H
O
U
R
S
>>
>>978299
2 in the front is far more stable than 2 in the back.

Trikes are much more prone to flipping, while putting to wheels in the front will likely result in spinning out rather than flipping over. 2 wheels in the front with suspension allows the bike to lean some in the corners as well, where as a trike can't lean.
>>
>>976602
Speed and strenght are different things.
>>
>>976601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8aZVLpf-c#t=14
if you power it with an air engine i don't think that we have laws regulating those.
>>
>>979982
Spam post.
Poster throws this out here without explaining how the 10th amendment is applicable to the matters of this thread.
>>
>>976988

i had a roid rage fag like yourself once.

>be me, painter
>cars and industrial stuff (mostly urethanes)
>equipment and materials get pretty pricey, but quality outcome, so pretty expensive
>faggot comes in asks how much itll cost to paint his lifted dodge bro truck
>say "$20 if you dont mind me spray canning it, quite a bit more for a quality job"
>roidfag flies off the handle, slams fist down on the desk
>he continues to threaten to kill me and my family etc etc
>i watch him in utter fascination giant smile on my face
>rest of the shop guys come in (4 guys) to see what the commotion was
>roidfag goes on the threaten them and their families
>begins to claim discrimination (even through we are all white)
>got two nut jobs that work for me, fight at the drop of a hat, getting worked up
>roidfag boyfriend comes in and starts stroking his flat top buzz cut
>roidfag gets tears in his eyes and the two leave
>months later see roidfag with a different color truck, paint hazed and peeling
>was a good day that day
>>
>>978888
Here is a good reason not to always trust websites online

This post
> 978888
references this at the website:

> This means that no State can enact legislation that allows wattages or speeds greater than the Federal Government’s limit of 750 Watts
and a top electric-powered speed of 20 MPH. States can only legislate LOWER wattages and top-speeds (which, to our knowledge has not
been done by any state)

However, if you look at the law:

SEC.38
(d) This section shall supersede any State law or requirement
with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such
State law or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law
or requirements referred to in subsection (a).’’.

then since "...States can only legislate LOWER wattages and top-speeds.." would clearly be an example of "more stringent"
this website contradicts the very law it is about !

In other words this website is BULLSHIT.
>>
>>981458
>what is torque manipulation
You just need someth I need like a 150:1 gear ratio, completely obtainable.
>>
>>976601
Are you the flywheel guy that wanted to use a tricycle for pulling out trees?
>>
>>976601
I can bypass all the messy math explanations why this won't work by asking you one simple question:
Can you pedal a bike up to at least 35mph *on the flat* and cruise for extended periods at that speed?

Really it's a rhetorical question; of COURSE you can't. If you could you'd be a pro cycling star and would have broken all performance records. If you can't do that with a bike, you can't build something heavier and less efficient that will, either.
>>
>>983196
I don't get it. Without a lot of context, you work at a paintshop, and someone came in asking how much it would cost to paint his truck, and you gave him a bullshit answer? I wouldn't have flown off the handle like that, but I'd be pissed if an automotive paint shop gave me an answer like that, and they sure as hell wouldn't get the business.
>>
>>983196
This didn't happen
>>
>>983185

It applies because it says all you pushovers claiming states can't override the federal limitations/definitions are dead ass wrong. The states can define whatever limitations, including explicitly claiming no limitations, including but not limited to power and speed limits as they define a given vehicle, and it is the state law that is to be upheld, even if they exceed or outright nullify federal government permitted limits.
>>
>>976601
Maybe cover the entire body in solar panels for assistance? Legal issues aside, I think you're underestimating how much energy you will need to power the damn thing.
>>
>>983872
Another spam post.

If this were true, then the states could just ignore all kinds of federal laws or pass contrary laws.

So why do you think this is true ?
Do you think we aren't a nation with a national government ?
>>
>>976685
>You also won't be able to use the sidewalk like you can with a bicycle.
/n/ here, please do not do this.

I don't think there's a civilized place on the planet where it's legal to bike on the sidewalk. You are a vehicle, not a pedestrian.
>>
>>978244
>Overall you can sense the legal requirements state to state consist of a confusing hodgepodge of arbitrary regulation.
American law in a nutshell
>>
>>984224

>Another spam post.
Really. WTF am I trying to sell?

>If this were true, then the states could just ignore all kinds of federal laws or pass contrary laws.

They can, and some (like Colorado) are actually rediscovering this. It's called nullification.

>So why do you think this is true ?

Because the constitution actually says so, point blank.

>Do you think we aren't a nation with a national government ?

We are, and the constitution of the United States defines what powers the federal ("national") government has. Anything beyond those defined powers is reserved for the states. I could get more specific but we're already treading dangerously into /pol/ territory.

>>984281
^this.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.