[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinga we made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 109
File: 2016-04-12 20.57.34.jpg (1 MB, 3771x2121) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-12 20.57.34.jpg
1 MB, 3771x2121
Hey diy I know it's nothing special but I made my frist cutting board today and it turned out okay. What have you made recently.
>>
>>977560
Looks nice. Congrats. The first projects are always the hardest
>>
>>977562
Thanks
>>
File: IMGP9949.jpg (859 KB, 2048x1355) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9949.jpg
859 KB, 2048x1355
>>977560
nice work OP. looks quality, 10/10 would use that cutting board!

today i made a couple "dead kitten" wind muffs for my location/field recording mics. i've made larger ones last year for a pair of studio mics so i was familiar with the process and got a few things right this time that i didn't get last time. i already tested them out and they work fucking fantastic, and they sound good too.

the pelt of faux fur was $3, I used about half of it for the two mics and some thread and about 8" of double sided tape. SO i figure each of the muffs cost about $1 in materials. the absolute cheapest name brand ones i could get would be about $30 each, going up to about $150. can't wait to get /out/ and use them!
>>
>>977575
That's awesome. I used American walnut and hard maple for my board. I messed up the edges a little when I used my router it bit on one of the corners. I soaked it in mineral oil.
>>
>>977578
ah was wondering what kind of finish you used seeing as you just did it today. as i understand it min'ral oil is the go-to for cutting boards. i can't notice any flaws desu, looks good from here.
>>
>>977590
Thank you. I'd like to get into end grain. But I think I need to refine side grain frist. Then I'd like to move to add more different species of wood like purple heart.
>>
File: 01010011100010100111100.gif (106 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
01010011100010100111100.gif
106 KB, 260x260
>>977560
>>
>>977575
Yeah man, audio equipment is expensive as dicks. I made a temporary pop filter for my desktop mic out of a pair of womens stockings (the kind that only go over the foot) stretched over a wire ring that's clipped onto the stand with a bulldog clip. Yet music stores sell a small circular disk of mesh for $20-$50 that does the same thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>go fishing one day
>bring with me only my fishing pole, lures, "rolled tobacco", and my leather man surge
>walk about 15 minutes to my fishing spot
>right by the edge of the water
>put rolled tobacco in mouth
>take out lighter
Today'sgonnaberight.png
>my smokes fall in the water
Wakemeup.mp4
>fuckfuckfuckfuck
>pull it out asap
>it's soaking wet senpai
>try drying it off with lighter
Cont.
>>
>>977694
>drying it it the lighter only made it worse
>burnt holes everywhere
>in panic, I look around
>see bamboo
>fug yes
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>977694
>remember bamboos have sections and a clean, hollow core
>perfect
>cut one section near the node, another after the node
>cut hole on top
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>977701
>cut off another section for the bowl piece
>perfect for packing bowls
>drill small hole in the middle
>flip and make rough grooves to sit on the pipe
>measure then fix
>made sure it fit flush on the pipe
>proceed to rub the bowl piece on the pipe to achieve a seal
>wash and inspect everything
>pack bowl and enjoy the rest of the day
>>
>>977705
>>977701
>>977695
>>977694

son, i am proud
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>977705
This was the final product.
Wasn't that awesome of a project but it was just unexpected. Never made a pipe before so it was pretty cool, thanks to my leatherman surge. Ended up catching a few bass and enjoying the trip.
>>
File: P3050002.jpg (556 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P3050002.jpg
556 KB, 1600x1200
Making a 3/4 length dane axe (1m handle)
Using Hickory (lighter wood) and Wenge (darker wood) sandwiched together with epoxy resin
>>
File: P3080006.jpg (529 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P3080006.jpg
529 KB, 1600x1200
>>977716
Also drove and epoxy'd some oak dowel through it every 25cm to give it some sheering strength along its length. Epoxy is good at making stuff stick together, but lateral forces are something else so the pins are kind of necessary.
I'll cap them over with some recessed brass plate

Also did some shaping with the angle grinder + sander pad to shape it down.
Its roughly 40mm deep by 25mm wide, which is shaped in an oval to help with the feel and orientation of the blade, which is still to turn up... hopefully by the end of the week
>>
File: P3150008.jpg (542 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P3150008.jpg
542 KB, 1600x1200
>>977717
Today I finished off the brass inlay along the sides of the handle.
Cutting out 3mm shim-brass plate, forming them with a hammer, then spent quite a while with a chisel and dremel to carve out the shapes. Then pound them in with a hammer to make sure they fit up ok, pull them out, CA-glue to fix them in there and a bit of clamping.

After that it was a lot of file work to shape them to match the 0 contours of the handle, then working them down with 40-80 and finally 120 grit sandpaper until they're nice and shiny.
Shiny is good
>>
File: IMG_20160203_163608206.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160203_163608206.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
My school has a really cool maker space that's free for anyone, so I used a laser cutter to engrave one of Gustave Doré's illustrations from Milton's 'Paradise Lost' into a woodblock for senpai since it's her favorite book. Pretty simple project, I need to learn Inkscape and how to into industrial design because I plan on making furnishings for babby's first apartment. once I learn how to do those 3-D jigsaw puzzle-like shapes and fuck around with the metal shop I should be fine.
Also,
>400 grit sandpaper
>mfw.jpg
PS, If anyone has guides on woodworking or on how to build a timed light, that'd be awesome.
Another cool project id like to do would be to use arduino to build a light-based lamp that would get gradually brighter as I get closer to my alarm
>>
>>977672
yeah idunno why they jack the price on pop filters and wind muffs and puches and stuff. unless you're getting a big fancy blimp rig it really isn't rocket surgery
>>
>>977672
>I made a temporary pop filter for my desktop mic out of a pair of womens stockings
i know the struggle

my one buddy and i recorded an entire album for a recording class at college singing one of my wife's thin socks...
>>
>>977717
epoxy is not the right adhesive fyi. it is stronk in the right circumstances. but it doesnt wick or flex like polyurethane wood glue will. you done goof'd. adhesive is all about surface area. the reason dowel is used to join things instead of just sandwiching things together and gluing the flat surfaces is because it increases your surface area. reorienting the grain like this doesnt help the strength of the beam though. it just reduces the chance of delamination from shear forces being applied across the beams.

wood glue is stronker than wood btw. applied properly it turns two pieces of timber into one piece of greater strength than if they were a single solid piece all along.
>>
>>977772
as someone who hunts. I've always wondered if rabbit pelt would work good as a microphone muffler. Rabbit skin is VERY thin.
>>
File: fur_2-300x225.jpg (20 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
fur_2-300x225.jpg
20 KB, 300x225
>>977835
nah real pelt is no good. it has to be porous. faux fur backing is loosely knitted in an almost burlap type texture. you can basically see through it (and thus hear through) just fine. pic makes it looks thicker and more substantial than it really is. it's 60% air holes and you can pull the strands apart by hand if you really wanted to.

now, the rabbit fur would work great to neutralize wind but the skin would muffle the sound way too much
>>
>>977560
What types of wood went into this? I like the dark accents. I'm still working on my cutting board, I've oiled it once and still need to sand down the grain that was raised before oiling it again. i didn't make it from scratch, got two pieces of maple and glued them together after squaring them up and planing the finish off.
>>
File: saw-stand01.jpg (31 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
saw-stand01.jpg
31 KB, 800x1067
>>977560
So I finally got tired of using saw horses and a piece of plywood for a miter saw stand. In fact a couple weeks ago I had it setup on cheap ass plastic saw horses in my garage. I go inside for a few minutes and hear a loud crash. The setup collapsed and broke off the little foot circled in red. Don't buy those cheap ass saw horses.

So I buy a craftsman universal miter stand but my miter saw is over 20 years old. Bolt holes line up in front but it doesn't even have any in the back. Just a half circle support. SO I grabed a couple 1/2"x4" bolts, some washers, a bit of copper pipe and a couple catwalk connectors for network cabling.

[1/2]
>>
>>977849
read thredd pls
>>977578
>American walnut and hard maple
>>
File: saw-stand02.jpg (41 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
saw-stand02.jpg
41 KB, 800x1067
>>977560
Works fine now but the cross members on the mounting bracket look like they are not going to handle the mighty Makita's weight. I'll cut some 3/4" ply and bolt that under it when I get a chance.

[2/2]
>>
>>977852
Thanks.
>>
>>977851

having a miter saw. making your own cutting board but not first making your own stand or saw horses for the saw to live on. hmm?
>>
>>977560
i often wonder how wise it is to use these wooden glued up cutting boards

you cant throw them in the dishwasher

you cant really cut uncooked meat on them because you cant clean them well

every time you use it you expose more toxic non-food safe glue into your food

these are better off used as food presentation plates. dont be a dummy, use plastic cutting boards
>>
>>977895
Is this bait? Humans have been cutting raw meat on wood for tens of thousands of years. Titebond 2 is non toxic, anon, and that's when it's not even dry yet. If you don't have the brains to wash your cutting board with dish soap after using it, you have bigger problems. Still scared? Hit it with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and let it air dry.
>>
File: aged-black-angus-roast-beef.jpg (50 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
aged-black-angus-roast-beef.jpg
50 KB, 350x250
>>977899
i've been chopping raw meat on my wood for years, sometimes with and sometimes without mineral oil >:D
>>
>>977899
>>977895
I wouldn't trust glued ones unless they're sealed very well and made with a non-toxic glue, but the ones that are just a big solid plank of wood are fine
>>
>>977919
Kek!

>>977921
If this really bothers you, you might not want to ever eat at a nice restaurant, or eat anything pre-packaged, or eat anything grown outdoors...
>>
>>977895
>i often wonder how wise it is to use these wooden glued up cutting boards

It's not wise to put wooden cutting boards in he dishwasher at all. It'll fuck them up in no time.

> you cant really cut uncooked meat on them because you cant clean them well

I use them all the time. I clean them all the time. It's perfectly safe. The wood have natural bacteria inhibitors. Plus if you let it dry completely everything will be dead anyways.

If you're paranoid about that stinky chicken you cut up to put in someones air vent then you can use a weak bleach water solution.

> every time you use it you expose more toxic non-food safe glue into your food

Everyday I turn on the ol telly and there's another story of someone dying because they used a wooden cutting board. EVERYDAY!

>These are better off used as food presentation plates. dont be a dummy, use plastic cutting boards

Plastic ones might have their place but I think they're shit. Deep cut marks that are hard to clean. I've never been able to get a good result resurfacing one either. Whose the dummy, plastic cutting board shill?
>>
>>977871
>aving a miter saw. making your own cutting board but not first making your own stand or saw horses for the saw to live on. hmm?

I'm not OP. I was just showing off the redneck engineering I did the other day. I didn't build a miter saw stand because, in this case, it was far easier and cheaper to buy one. $60 from Sears shipped. I couldn't build a better one for that price. It also folds up for storage which is important to me and tiny shop.
>>
>>977940
Actually, use ammonia or vinegar, bleach binds to anything organic, so most of it gets wasted breaking down the wood and doesn't kill bacteria.

Tightbond is foodsafe http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/food-safe-glues/

Basically, the studies are a wash on which is safer.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food-safety/article/which-cutting-board-safest
>>
>>977926
>If this really bothers you, you might not want to ever eat at a nice restaurant, or eat anything pre-packaged, or eat anything grown outdoors..

Actually, fun fact, you can't use wooden cutting boards in food prep in the US. Which is totally retarded but that's how the govt is.

>>977895
>every time you use it you expose more toxic non-food safe glue into your food

All common wood glues are non-toxic. Titebond 2 and 3 are approved for indirect food contact.
>>
>>977995
>Actually, fun fact, you can't use wooden cutting boards in food prep in the US. Which is totally retarded but that's how the govt is.

To clarify, that is commercial food prep (restaurants, and food producing factories). It does not meet requirements.
>>
>>977795
Normally, poly's do the job- except when it comes to resinous, oily tropical hardwoods like the Wenge- which are a bit of a shit.
Stuff like Titebond just sort of bounces right off, beads on the surfaces and refuses to cure, so I figured marine epoxy is probably one of the most evil substances known to man and can hold a boat together, it'll do for this little job. The flexural and shear strength are pretty good on this product so it should hold together ok, (though it is insanely rigid), I'm sort of more familiar with the epoxy's than most other glues due to a stint in a fibreglassing and panel beating workshop.
>>
>>977895
I hope this is bait, though if you're a youngin' I'll let you slide since the public school system taught you this bullshit.

Wooden cutting boards actually kill bacteria as they dry. I've been cutting up raw meat on wood cutting boards my entire life and never had food poisoning- I'm 26.

Wooden cutting boards only require a wipe with warm soapy water and a rinse to clean. If you let shit sit overnight you might have to scrub.

Titebond 2&3 ultimate are both food safe. I buy the 3 ultimate because it's an interior/exterior food safe glue so I can use it in a cutting board as well as other projects that don't sit in my kitchen 99.9% of the time.

Plastic cutting boards have a greater tendency to develop bacteria films than wood, as they do not inhibit the growth and the cut marks leave great places to grow that cannot be cleaned by hand.

Plastics cannot be wiped down after cutting raw meat and then immediately used for food that won't be cooked for this reason.

If you must use plastic you NEED to put it in the dishwasher after use regardless of what you cut on it because the bits of food and juice stuck to that plastic will harbor bacterial growth.
>>
Op here I used title bond 3 for my board and it is safe trust me .
>>
>>977995
I was actually speaking more to just others touching food in general, gloved or not, and the general mindset that food must be completely sanitary and sterile from seed to plate. I did not know that wooden cutting boards aren't approved for restaurant use in the US, though I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info. Great choice with Titebond 3 OP!
>>
>>978035
You can't even have knives with rosewood handles anymore in food service. Someone in the late 90's early 2000s came up with the idea that wood cutting boards harbored bacteria (despite no reported cases of illness from their use). This idea was perpetuated long enough to put the majority of wood board manufacturers out of business, but was eventually proven false. It's pretty much the same case as MSG. Or GMOs. Or unprecedented rises in global temperature, but I digress.
>>
>>978084
not all of those things are the same situation anon, save it for /pol/.

but anyway, i remember my parents throwing away our wooden cutting board because of that. they bought a glass one which is fucking torture on the knives (not to mention everyone's ears). we're back to wood now. keep it oiled, cleaned, and dry and 's'all good
>>
>>977575
How much you want for one of those merkins?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin
>>
>>978084
There's all kinds of crazy in the food industry.
One of my fav memories growing up was helping my grandfather during christmas butcher and prep the meat on this single piece of square cut spotted gum tree, had iron bound sides made by a blacksmith and worn down in these beautiful curves.
It would have dated back to the late 1940's and weighed about 30kgs back when he was a shearers cook.
To clean that up, quick scrub with some warm soapy water, then white vinegar and then rub in some beeswax if it was drying out in spots.
>>
File: IMG_20160413_222503226.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160413_222503226.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
I made this step so my crippled old hampster can get to his wheel
>>
File: 1413708835945.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1413708835945.png
10 KB, 500x500
>>978313
you're doing god's work anon
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Nothing too cool, but I made a quick-n-dirty shop stool last night from a cracked bike frame. Spread the dropouts and hacksawed the front triangle off... The cuts aren't great because it was half past beer-thirty and I wasn't exactly sober.
>>
>>977707
This is cozy.
>>
>>977694

When you say "rolled tobacco", you mean your pipe is for "tobacco only", right?
>>
>>978330
Sure
>>
>>978094
Things being perpetuated based on false pretenses? I think they're pretty similar.
>>
>>978804
>despite no reported cases
probably true regarding the cutting board, but that doesn't apply to everything in your post, and it doesn't apply to everything in your post a lot
>>
>>978084
Yeah, that's because they do.

Their porous structure makes them pretty-much uncleanable.

The black sludge that comes out when you scrape one should be evidence enough.
>>
File: 20160315_211631.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160315_211631.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I built this a couple of weeks ago and still working out the kinks. It's a dust collector for a concrete grinder. I'm starting a concrete grinding/polishing business and decided I didn't want to spend $6k on a dust collector (vacuum cleaner).

If anyone is interested I can post pics of my finished garage floor.
>>
>>978820
Bamboo cutting boards are naturally antibacterial, you wash them with warm water and they destroy the bacteria on the board.
>>
File: 91hEEu9CAHL._SL1500_[1].jpg (312 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91hEEu9CAHL._SL1500_[1].jpg
312 KB, 1500x1500
>>978845
>Bamboo cutting boards

Suck. I don't know if it's the grain or what but my bamboo cutting board is sitting in the back of the cupboard. I hate cutting on that thing. Like if all my other boards are dirty or something I'd sill rather cut on a paper plate than bamboo. It's an irrational dislike.
>>
>>978820
So you keep one for vegetables only and one for meat. Only the outside of the meat touches the board, and as soon as cooking begins the outside (the part that touches the board) is pretty much instantly taken to what, at least 350°? Nothing survives 350°. Inside the meat is sterile. This is why you blue rare steak eating guys don't get sick, and why wooden cutting boards are not a problem. Just cook your meat, anon.
>>
>>978860
Meat is porous. The reason you don't get sick is that the meat hasn't gone rancid and that the human stomach destroys bacteria. Humans can eat some pretty nasty shit and not get food poisoning.
>>
>>978820
ever heared the word tannin wood has a
antibacteriall substances in it

a scratched plastic board is also porous but doesnt have tannin
>>
Plastic is cheaper. And most people are cheap and won't pay for quality wooden cutting boards.
>>
File: give a dog a bone.jpg (77 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
give a dog a bone.jpg
77 KB, 636x636
>>978313
U dun good frend
>>
>>978843
Lets see
>>
File: P3289550.jpg (1 MB, 2352x1764) Image search: [Google]
P3289550.jpg
1 MB, 2352x1764
Wallet for a friend.
>>
File: P3289553.jpg (1 MB, 2352x1764) Image search: [Google]
P3289553.jpg
1 MB, 2352x1764
>>979311
>>
File: P3289554.jpg (795 KB, 1568x1176) Image search: [Google]
P3289554.jpg
795 KB, 1568x1176
>>979311
>>979314
>>
>>979123

I bone my dog?
>>
>>979315
looks really good anon, very profesional.
Do you have any information in leather working, books or so, that i could learn from?
>>
>>979339
Thanks.
I started out not log ago by watching youtube videos, but it seems like with leatherworking is very dependent on your patience, ability to plan and attention to detail. Also you gotta be prepared to fuck your first project or two, some things just come with (a little bit) of experience. Things like using an awl to pierce leather so that holes on both sides are aligned
>>
File: 20160417_195835.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160417_195835.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Op here I made a smaller one today. I'd love to get a plunge router to make a hand hole for it.
>>
File: P1010306.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
P1010306.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>977560
I cant figure what is that for. Its just for cutting food on it or what?

Here is some tĂ³tem I made this fall, it was an attemt to summon the fimbulwinter.

I failed, but I will try again.
>>
>>980098
By the way, is that is for food, I hope you are using only natural barnishes.

You can do the hole with a drill and sand paper but it will take you a lot.
>>
>>980105
Of course it's for food. Have you tried sacrifices to the totem?
>>
>>980120
I only use mineral oil on my projects so far it seems to do the job.
>>
>>980121

>Have you tried sacrifices to the totem?

Not really. A cat died this Winter but that does not count I guess.

>I only use mineral oil

I dont know if there are any problems with that, but take into account that you are eating your barnish so take care.
>>
resurrected this
>>
midway
>>
>>
final product ... was a old lp storage shelf... now is in the kidlets room for a knickknacks
>>
>>980759
phew fantastic work! 10/10 would store my shotglasses on
>>
>>980759
That's a really nice deep finish

>be a shame if someone was to 'crayon it' when you're not looking.
>>
>>978321
What is cozy mate
>>
File: 20160409_224324.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160409_224324.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
This is my workbench that I'm currently working on. Just need to make drawers.
>>
>>981524
That's nice.
>>
File: 20160420_204844.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160420_204844.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Hey op here. I made a smaller cutting board / serving board today. I also added a step I sanding with 60,80,then 120 girt sand paper.
>>
File: IMG_4705.jpg (214 KB, 864x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4705.jpg
214 KB, 864x1152
Welding has taught me how ridiculously overpriced a lot of furniture was.
>>
>>981720
I like it. To bad I don't know how to weild
>>
File: 20160420_210908.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160420_210908.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Frist coat mineral oil.
>>
>>981736
nice! i would love to serve pic related on that
>>
>>981737
I'd make you one.
>>
File: 1399642853536.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1399642853536.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>978313
That's beautiful.
>>
File: 1.jpg (574 KB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
574 KB, 2250x1500
>>977560
This knife.
Currently machining a RivNut instalation tool.
>>
>>977575
nice, i have to make a blimp for a shotgun mic. Wonder if i can find a perforated sheet metal to make it
>>977707
A true McGiver. Really cool m8!!
>>
>>981792
That's awesome. I'm gonna be making more cutting boards. I'm gonna change up the size and layout. But when I finally make one for myself I think I'm gonna but some pattern welded chefs knives. But damn their expensive.
>>
>>981797
pattern welded is the same as damascus?

I want to forge a few chef knifes too. But it's winter here and the forge and anvil are outside. Plus it's a Coal Forge, it's hard to start a fire with coal.
The only thing positive is that a friend giftme an electric air blower, so i can throw away that fucking hand driven blower.
>>
>>981800
I believe they are the same in appearance. I think its different when it comes to the compounds in the steel when they talk about new Damascus vs the orginal kind. but I'm no knife maker so I'll have to check up on it. A beautiful well oiled cutting board with a damascus chef knife would be a great thing to have.
>>
File: 130267.jpg (176 KB, 2000x1489) Image search: [Google]
130267.jpg
176 KB, 2000x1489
>>981807
Probably they are the same.
People tend to talk about how the Katana was damascus..but it's not made of damascus.
There are lots of myths in knifemaking, like all the "milenian" japanese techniques.

I would love to make something like the Boker Saga knifes, but with damascus/hamon
>>
File: P3230002.jpg (506 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P3230002.jpg
506 KB, 1600x1200
>>981800
>pattern welded is the same as damascus?
Pretty much in the contemporary era.
In the old timey days, it was made in Syria, India, western China, some parts of the Philippines and a couple of parts of Europe. The eastern areas primarily used Wootz crucible steel and a few locally made steels and irons hammered and folded together during the forging process, main advantage being that you get a bit more value out of 'bits' of good steel mixed in with other steels/irons when you're low on raw material and can make a much larger piece of metal out of them all without compromising the integrity.

Now, we mostly do it for looks-
eg- my axe head made out of 1095 carbon and 15N20

Course, could have made it out of straight 1095 or another of the tool steels, but its not as pretty :)
>>
>>981816
That is beautiful. I'd like a good knife out of that. I'll have to check it out online. I mean a good axe would be nice as well. But if you made that then you are very skilled by the looks of it
>>
>>981818
I picked it up years ago from a smithy and have finally gotten around to putting it on a handle, also have 3 kitchen knives of the same metals which need to handles too and they'll be going to my nephew when he finishes his chef's apprenticeship.
Mostly I do lighter metals like brass, aluminium, bit of engraving and carpentry- though if I get the space, time and gear I'll do a bit of forging... but at the moment, lack 2 of the 3 :(
>>
>>981816
Oh, i see, it's like viking swords. Those were made with three twisted and welded rods, and you can see the line that join them because has slightly more carbon than the rest (because the charcoal forges does that)
>>
>>981824
Very nice. I can understand the time and gear and space issue. I think my next buy is a plunge router so I can add finger groves and juice trenches I'd like that take things up a notch.
>>
>>981825
Some of the Scandinavian metalwork from the viking era used a few more techniques with their pattern welding like putting a more flexible steel in the centre, then the outer edges would have a harder, high carbon steel on them. The Celts and Saxons did the same too if I remember correctly.
>>
>>981827
So you should make some pattern welded knives and make cutting boards and make them a matching set. For example the handles are made from the same wood that is used in the cutting board. Epic cheif gift. Or BBQ epic gift
>>
File: P3230002.jpg (497 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P3230002.jpg
497 KB, 1600x1200
>>981833
Heh, I've got to head out to a timber place some time soon, maybe tomorrow.
Its like a candy store really, all this nice timber and usually come out of there $100 lighter. They've got a couple of pieces of African Blackwood and Gamboon ebony I'm kind of keen on, but might be a bit rich to make a cutting board out of!
They have a fair bit of spotted Gum which is pretty tough and makes a decent cutting board out of I might nab though
>>
>>978854
I'm with you bro

I dont know why. but fuck bamboo cutting boards. they're weird as fuck
>>
>>977995
>Actually, fun fact, you can't use wooden cutting boards in food prep in the US. Which is totally retarded but that's how the govt is.
It's not. Wood cutting boards are not sterile. Restaurants use plastic because it can be sterilized easily and quickly. Wood can't be sterilized in any efficient manner.
>>
>>977764
>Milton
Good taste
>>
>>982017
Wood often is treated with Propolis, a product that bees make that is anti-bacteria.
Any porous suface will grow bacteria.
Plastic is easily scratched and generates an ideal place to bacteria to grow.
>>
>>982062
gee wiz guys. some goofus on 4chan said something so it must be true.

get lost kid.
>>
>>977560
looks good, could use just a touch more oil on the side I think
>>
File: 20160401_113236.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160401_113236.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>979297
Shit bro lost track of this thread here it is
>>
File: 619PxbOHdzL._SL1200_.jpg (79 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
619PxbOHdzL._SL1200_.jpg
79 KB, 1200x1200
>>979415
First: very good work there m8
Second: consider pic related. They are chinese, but they only cost me 12 euro on amazon. Try different sizes. I use the smallest ones for a wallet and the biggest ones for long stitches
>>
>>982089
Google motherfucker. Do you use it?
>>
>>982089
Do you realice that your own argument can be used agaisnt you?
>>
>>982362
Well there are new studys out that state wooden boards are just as safe as plastic ones. Now for commercial use fda has its rules for whatever.
>>
File: Photo0006.jpg (57 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Photo0006.jpg
57 KB, 480x640
Built this extension on my mums house sorry about the potato camera. It's not quite finished yet.
>>
File: 1444577919255.jpg (85 KB, 485x492) Image search: [Google]
1444577919255.jpg
85 KB, 485x492
>>
File: 20160423_162510.jpg (765 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160423_162510.jpg
765 KB, 2048x1152
A smal leather card wallet I made. Nothing special but it serves its purpose.
>>
File: IMG_20160422_204650.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160422_204650.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
I got a dewalt 740 radial arm saw, a drill press, a work bench, and a worm gear circular saw for $300 off Craigslist. Rust on the drill and saw wasn't too bad. Cleaned it up and made a new table for it. Don't know why these aren't more common. Like a combo table saw and miter saw.
>>
Zaxbys fag here. Pooping and browsing and saw this dumb shit. Our meat cutting boards are a type of wood but I'm not sure what type.
>>
>>984229
>Zaxbys
dur maybe its the plastic type of wood because wood is not safe to cut uncooked meats on
>>
>>984172
Nice find and nice table
>>
>>984172
'Cause radial arm saws scare the fuck out of idiots. They are their natural predators. They like to take bits out of people that get careless around them so idiots don't last very long around them. There are only two kinds of people that use radial arm saws. That that are careful and those that learned to be careful. That latter group are generally missing fingers. Radial arm saws and manual transmissions, dying breeds of a forgotten age.

To be real though safety is a big part of it but also because chop saws are cheaper and easier to keep zeroed in. Radial arm saws can do a fuckton of jobs with the right attachments (have a run through an old DeWalt catalog sometime) but they are kind of a chore to work with. That are kind of like a Shopsmith in that way. DeWalt made the best of the best though. While that isn't one of their best models it will blow anything mode for Sears/Craftsman (Emerson) out of the water.
>>
>>984250
Cut cooked meat only
>>
>>984172
>Like a combo table saw and miter saw.
Yep they're an all-round excellent saw for lots of things when you really need the space or don't want to pony up the cash for 2 powered saws
>>
>>984172
>>984381

Any opinions on the Dewalt 7770? Picked one up for $35. Some rust on it but everything moved smooth. Have held off on adding one to my shop but at that price it was too hard to pass up on.

Also got a old ass drill press for $15 (no guarding what so ever on the pulley system) and some benchtop motors im going to restore and hopefully post some pics as i go about the process. For $2.50 each i snatched up all 5 the guy had. there is a 1957 craftsmen and an emerson for sure. but the others have grease gunked all over outside and its hard to tell.
>>
File: 20160426_151629.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160426_151629.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
So i am making a coffee table,
It was an old lampshade and the wood i puth in that thing is oak.

I made a tripod out of taxus timber(?) which is currently drying in my shed, will post that later.
>>
File: 20160426_151700.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160426_151700.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>984587
You can see the taxus timber im talking about in this picture on the right.
>>
File: 20160426_141927.jpg (622 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
20160426_141927.jpg
622 KB, 1300x731
finished welding and painting my custom offset smoker today, it's a reverse flow. All 1/4" steel. Just in time for summer.
>>
File: WP_20160427_08_11_40_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160427_08_11_40_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>
File: WP_20160427_08_12_01_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160427_08_12_01_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>985112
I fuckin' tried to get these pictures the right way
>>
File: WP_20160427_08_12_20_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160427_08_12_20_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>985114
anyways, it's cheap but it works, I've never been the polished kinda person, never owned a suit and prefer to be outside so I like it.
>>
>>985093
Pretty fucking nice, I missed travelling through the southern US a few years ago and every man and his dog had a smoker or did slow cooked bbq.

>>985112
>>985114
Cool bit of design, if you wanted a bit of an industrial look I reckon if the shelves where metal it might look a bit more complete. Maybe somthing like checkerplate or distressed, rusty sheet steel given a coat of lacquer to arrest the corrosion.
>>
>>985093

love it dude, the ax is a really nice touch.
ive only ever used a webbed smokey mountain before, do these things smoke at a similar temp to the drum style?
>>
>>985093
>All 1/4" steel.
You were planning to use it as a nuclear shelter too?
>>
>>985112
I really like the look of these types of shelves. I'll build some one day.

I've never seen one like this before, did you weld those support plates to the pipe somehow or it that a commercially available part? I thought that pipe was iron. Welding iron?

I don't know pipe.
>>
>>985093
>All 1/4" steel.
Jesus Christ?!? No wonder you need the counter weight. Nice job anon. Would eat your cue.
>>
File: 4L_zvtz2YRN.jpg (142 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4L_zvtz2YRN.jpg
142 KB, 1920x1080
>>977560
I'm trying to make one of there with my fiancé
>>
>>985224
Wait till you've been married a couple of years, it'll kill your sex life. Pic is related, right? "Woodworking" indeed...
>>
>>985093
oh my god this looks dank as fuck
>>
File: IMG_0322.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0322.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2048
Finally found the right materials for a little desktop monitor pedestal in the trash.
>>
File: IMG_0322_rotated.jpg (475 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0322_rotated.jpg
475 KB, 667x1000
>>985310
alright, let’s try that again
>>
File: IMG-20160427-WA0013.jpg (494 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160427-WA0013.jpg
494 KB, 3264x1836
I made a coffee table today
>>
File: 20160427_135537.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1448) Image search: [Google]
20160427_135537.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1448
>>985129
>>985136
>>985138
>>985215
>>985261

Thanks! The 1/4" steel really helps with heat retention and efficiency.

I fired it up today to practice for a big cook for family and friends this weekend. All I had to do was throw a split of pecan wood on it every 1.5hrs to hold a constant 250F air dampers half closed.
>>
>>985347
dig the salad bowl base
>>
File: 20160427_172615.jpg (391 KB, 1500x524) Image search: [Google]
20160427_172615.jpg
391 KB, 1500x524
>>985542
Smoked a pork loin and corn, as you can tell there is plenty of real estate, probably more than I'll ever use kinda went overboard. The pipe is 20"x50".
>>
>>981726
>literally just bigger cold joint soldering
>or maybe high intensity hot glue if you're hobbylobby tier
>>
File: IMG_20160410_140452.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_140452.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
Made this for someone. It turned out okay.
>>
File: IMG_20160426_210820.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_210820.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Got my attiny45 based soldering station finally done, it uses a hakko 907 clone handle. The case is just from some old shitty 20$ iron.
>>
>>985561
turned out fine. since you're the one who made it, you see all the flaws and mistakes. from an outside perspective. I can say it turned out fine. I can clearly tell what it is.
>>
File: mic.jpg (3 MB, 4392x2596) Image search: [Google]
mic.jpg
3 MB, 4392x2596
Replaced the innards of a Shure 55 super with the guts of an AKG D880. elastic hair bands make good shock mounts
>>
>>985224
>having to actually try to have a baby

How does it feel the be genetically worthless?
>>
File: 1375658514323.jpg (77 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
1375658514323.jpg
77 KB, 570x428
>>978313
>>
>>985678
No it's more that I'm not trying to not anymore
>>
File: 20160409_195527.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160409_195527.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Jus dis
>>
File: mics_before_after_01.jpg (1 MB, 1600x4188) Image search: [Google]
mics_before_after_01.jpg
1 MB, 1600x4188
>>985615
noice moite! i refurb mics myself. sometimes i can save the innards and sometimes i can't. i try to keep it as original as possible of course. i pickup/buy cheep neglected rescues and turn them around to sell to collectors, or better yet, musicians/engineers
>>
>>985939
I dig the second one - that's a beaut.
>>
File: IMGP9930.jpg (2 MB, 3405x2269) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9930.jpg
2 MB, 3405x2269
>>985966
that's a 1943 Astatic DN-50 "Commentator"

It was ruined in a garage for decades so I couldn't save the dynamic element. I replaced it and reqired the whole thing to work with an XLR (originally was the Astatic proprietary 3-pin connection which was all rotted-out). Would have been nice to keep the Astatic connectors so it would universally connext to all Astatic stuff but it wasn't possible. Either way, it's a very cool collectible and it's useable, still hoping to find the right buyer for it.
>>
File: IMG_20160429_015710.jpg (1 MB, 2721x2504) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_015710.jpg
1 MB, 2721x2504
Just built this entertainment center. Still working on the doors for the towers though. Ordered some hidden hinges and still figuring out how I'll put them in. Its made of MDF so it is really fragile. Hinges go in the 1/2" door so there's a chance of splitting the MDF. After that's done I'll be starting on a TV stand.
>>
>>985581
psst.. what is it?
>>
>>978313
I realy like it whats his name
>>
>>977560
Did you stain those lines on there? It looks good, nice design
>>
>>986302
You don't stain cutting boards. That is a different type of wood, probably walnut.
>>
>>986205
Sweet job man. I'd take the TV out fit a desk bench in there add some built in lighting and turn it into a beastly battlestation.

How much did you spend on materials? roughly.
>>
>>977995
>>977997

I think the main reason is plastic is easier to apply the colour coding to (red for meat, green for veg, etc)
>>
>>978319
Hah Fuckin beautiful
>>
>>986355
4 sheets of MDF about $140
New tools about $150 (sander, blades, clamps, jigs)
And paint, 1 gallon flat black
Pretty happy with it. Was my first real furniture project.
>>
>>981720
Is there any thing to support beam?
>>
>>985970
I got a boner looking at this picture
>>
>>985093
Looks like a face. Eyes, chef hat, moustache... Motherfucker, you built a self-cooking robo-chef, didn't you?
>>
>>982116
very nice anon. what product do you seal concrete with?
>>
>>985542
nice nuts
>>
File: cvr91fD.jpg (862 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
cvr91fD.jpg
862 KB, 2560x1440
I made this coffee table.
>>
File: 16.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
tbale w/benches
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4032x2524) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4032x2524
I was having *inspiration* again, so now you have it:
Carrot mage vs pea-hydra.
(Blown and/or flameworked glass, all of it.)
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4032x2418) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4032x2418
>>987320
A few extra angles.
>>
File: image.jpg (715 KB, 2425x2776) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
715 KB, 2425x2776
>>987321
>>
>>987003
pinterest made that coffee table
>>
File: P_20160502_090019.jpg (4 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20160502_090019.jpg
4 MB, 4096x3072
Made me a box of hard drives.
Goodness do I love laser ply.
>>
>>987320
>>987321
>>987322
so cool anon. i want that peapod m8
>>
File: untitled.png (156 KB, 318x427) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
156 KB, 318x427
>>987342
Why don't you try one of these next time?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182044204119
>>
>>987374
Don't look at me like that.
And because it takes more than 8 ports to reach salvation.
This is expandable, hooks off two SAS cables, and takes up half a PCI-e slot.
>>
>>987374
Also a backplane isn't a case, it's a fucking backplane.
You still need to connect it to something, so I'd still have my sas card, and I'd still need to power it off all those fucking molex plugs, instead of the custom molex-to-10x-sata cable I made.
It'd look nice if my PC wasn't GLaDOSing it all out like she just saw SHODAN walking past in something cute.
>>
>>987374
Also, that shit's all SAS plugs, I'm full on sata nigga
>>
File: IMG_20160501_161953.jpg (1 MB, 1564x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_161953.jpg
1 MB, 1564x1564
Does it count if it's our job to make things?
>>
File: 20150713_220407.jpg (833 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20150713_220407.jpg
833 KB, 2560x1536
>>977853
I got a craftsman mitre saw from my dad as a gift, did not know they had a stand i could buy... I built this bench about a year ago so i could cut long mouldings because my house's were all painted over and me and my brother ripped them all off drunk the night I bought the house so they "wouldnt be in the way" when i painted.
>>
>>987392
I used like 25$ worth of 2x4s and a few 4x4s i had leftover from yard projects. The plywood was free, from crates that aluminum printing plates are delivered to printing presses in.
>>
File: IMG_20160501_212255901.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_212255901.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>986280
Charlie
>>
>>978854
>>>978845
>>Bamboo cutting boards
>Suck. I don't know if it's the grain or what but my bamboo cutting board is sitting in the back of the cupboard. I hate cutting on that thing. Like if all my other boards are dirty or something I'd sill rather cut on a paper plate than bamboo. It's an irrational dislike.
Bamboo cutting boards are too soft. They tend to make your knife slow
>>
>>982116
Sorry for late reply, anon, i don't check in too often here. I highly recomend covershield U140 (or is it 144) for garages. It's a polyurethane sealer so it does create a film over your concrete but it's the best sealer I've come across. By the way, I've use pentrafinish, diamatic ultrafloor, husqavarna and volcom.
>>
Derp, this reply >>987455 was meant for >>986952
>>
>>987379
Those aren't "SAS" plugs, they're SAS/SATA.
They fit both.
I actually had to model the thing in CAD before I figured it out.
>>
>>986797
yes
>>
>>986375
if the pips have screw holes on the lower part that pin it to the wood he wont need a support beam
but like if i were him and i had welding equipment/the skill needed to make such great looking welds id do both
>>981792
something something team of 40 surgeons
>>
File: 1389918594092.gif (628 KB, 427x347) Image search: [Google]
1389918594092.gif
628 KB, 427x347
>>984172

You know how people say something that does everything, does none of them well?

Every single shop I have been in with a radial arm saw has never had one that is zeroed in.

That being said I still want one cause they be handy.
>>
>>987320
Would you ever blow something for someone because I had a really cool idea but I lack the equipment money and talent to do myself?
>>
>>986338
You sir are correct they are made of walnut
>>
>>987630
Not really, plus I'm in Moscow right now anyway, so shipping it out of here intact would be easier said than done (we have notoriously bad postal service here).
Try asking flameworkers in your area — I was doing most of my initial training in PA and there are some very talented people in that area.
>>
>>987717
That's a shame, because you are extraordinarily talented. I'll definitely look into someone local or in PA or somewhere.
>>
>>987320
this is rad as hell.
>>
>>987626
>tfw university radial arm saw was zeroed in
>>
>>985742
classy.
>>
File: 20160503_210718.jpg (3 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210718.jpg
3 MB, 2976x2976
I made a bunch of sterling silver wire crystal crowns for my sister.

Interesting experience, this was the first time ive worked with silver and i learned a lot, the entire thing has got me in the mood to try some jewellery making.
>>
File: 20160503_210726.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210726.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>987954
More pics incoming.
>>
File: 20160503_210745.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210745.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>987955
Second crown tiara thing...this was more difficult than the first.
>>
File: 20160503_210751.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210751.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>987957
the first crowns crystals had nice 1.5mm holes in them so i could thread the thickest wire (1.5mm) through it, sandwich another piece on the back and then secure them further with thinner gauge wire.

the holes on these ones were like 0.5mm or so, just meant i had to get a bit more creative with things.
>>
File: 20160503_210808.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210808.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>987958
This entire thing was pretty much purely experimental, i did some research online which was basically looking at pictures but as far as technique goes it was thread crystals and wrap wire.
>>
File: 20160503_210815.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160503_210815.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>987959
this did end up being the most technically impressive one, the wire frame behind it was (in my humble opinion) well thought out, it did exactly what i wanted it to do.

all in all about 15-20ish metres of sterling wire between the 3, 1.5mm for the frames and 0.6mm and 0.5mm for the wrapping.

maybe about 3-4 hours work for the lot of them.
>>
>>987954
>Crystal
Looks like blue-ish beryl?
It is just colored cut glass?
>>
>>987965
Most likely, for the price that was paid its what id expect, i think they were advertised as "quartz" (the white ones at least) but im no geologist, i dont know shit about rocks.
>>
>>987954
Probably worth your while to get some silver-solder, propane/butane torch and some flux to learn how to braze. Silver's a fairly easy metal to work with
>>
>>987433
i love him. thanks for the pictures :)
>>
>>987967
I actually picked up some various solder when i bought the wire, extra easy, easy, medium and hard ive still got plenty of leftover wire and some bead wire i bought because it was on special on the site i bought from, i would have liked to buy some square wire but maybe next time. Ive already got a butane torch but i want a hose for it and a finer torch, we used to use plain old borax as flux in highschool jewellery class and i'll probably pick some of that up tomorrow, (they sell those grinding cones and dishes at the local hardware) along with the hose i want and a fine tip for the torch.

Ive getto rigged a ring mandrel from the end of a hammer (its this weird fully metal one) and my plan is to start off with some hammered silver stacking rings, they seem to be pretty on trend right now. I just made a bent wire bangle thing...turned out ok but it needs some tweaking.
>>
>>987980
Easiest way to make rings if its a softer metal is to get an electric drill with variable speed, length of dowel or rod that'll fit in the chuck- drill a hole in the end, pop the wire in the hole and slowly wind the wire around the rod.
Most drill only take 10-12mm bits, but you can fit one of them in the end of the rod and it'll do ok. Beats hand-forming the shit.

>some poor cunt that made some chainmail once.
>>
>>987990
How did i not think of this...i feel really stupid.

Thanks for the advice, i'll add some hardwood dowells to the list as well.

Dont have a drill at the moment (its on the long term list) so i'll just wind it by hand.

Thanks again.
>>
>>977672
I did this but using a coat hanger and lint from my tumble drier. It was a little delicate but it worked fine.
>>
I finished making my son about 6 months ago. He turned out beautifully. Can't wait until he learns how to toilet.
>>
File: 2016-04-21 09.12.58.jpg (1 MB, 3771x2121) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-21 09.12.58.jpg
1 MB, 3771x2121
I finished this today.
>>
>>988372
Noice, what woods did you use?
>>
>>988393
Maple and walnut
>>
>>986375
Nah, she really wanted it as two pieces of metal with a board in between, it's screwed in from below.

It seemed pretty solid when when I tried it.
>>
>>981792
Something something 1200 surgeons.
>>
I'm working on a couch made of recycled materials. No pictures yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 600x384
>>988738
>a couch made of recycled materials.
>No pictures yet.
Go-go gadget imagination!
>>
>>988752
It looks like a very organized pile of trash right now.
>>
>>988755
What this guy said
>>
>>988372
isnt it better to use plastic cutting boards because you cant really clean a wood board well?
>>
>>988794
Used to clean mine with coarse salt rubbed into it, then rinse it off and a quick wipe with some white vinegar
No one seemed to ever die from anything.
>>
>>988794
Plastic boards are shit. With some do diligence and proper cleaning wooden boards are just fine.
>>
File: 2016-05-05 14.01.39.jpg (1 MB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-05 14.01.39.jpg
1 MB, 2448x1836
Finished building this about two weeks ago (well everything except for the actual tank itself). Still debating on whether or not it was worth how much of a pain in my ass it was.
>>
File: 2016-05-05 14.02.08.jpg (988 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-05 14.02.08.jpg
988 KB, 2448x1836
>>988944
and the other side
>>
>>988944

How on earth did you mature that tank in 2 weeks?
>>
>>988948
Oh sorry I guess the wording I used there was kinda retarded.

I had the tank put in about a month and a half ago on a big ass microllam platform I built.

I finished the cabinetry/millwork around the tank 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>988949
>>988949

Oh awesome. Was expecting some dead fish for a minute.

Its a really great job mate. Something ive always wanted to do but is a huge task having a suitable space plus fitting it all in well.

Great sutff, keeping it fish only?
>>
>>977560
Nice OP. I hope you don't want a bigger tv anytime soon.
>>
>>988944

Looks reel good, top notch wood work. Just don't care for the small tvs.
>>
>>987380
Dunno why I really fucking enjoy your stairs though.
>>
File: Bankje.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
Bankje.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>977560
I made this bench today
>>
>>988957
I will be putting some snails in there soon. I might add an eel at some point too.

>>988966
It's my office and my kitchen, I don't need big tv's in either of those rooms. The big one's in the living room.
>>
>>977851
fox your goddamn power cable
>>
File: ZKN1.jpg (491 KB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
ZKN1.jpg
491 KB, 1600x2400
>>988372
Really like your cutting boards, finished off my nephew's chef's knife, for the most part its done.

Paler wood is Lignum Vitae, which is only marginally harder than the bolsters... god damn its tough timber. Centre is Purpleheart and covered in 5 coats of polyurethane varnish, with the bolsters made from brass and nickel.
Went for a hidden tang look which is a lot more work to do, but I think it adds something to the practicality of the knife. Was also after balance and a good chef's knife should have a balance point somewhere around the forward bolster as it relieves strain- plus this is a work knife and not a wall hanger so its meant for all day chopping and slicing. Meant its maybe not as 'pretty' looking for the trade off of practicality.
Steel is 1095-15N20 with a hardness of around 59-60, haven't put a proper edge on it as most chef's tend to like to do that.
>>
>>989256
That's awesome. Hook me up with one.
>>
>>989256
Crossposting cu/ck/ here. Nice knife. Would use at work every day
>>
File: 0928343.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
0928343.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
Made a monitor riser, used a staining method that one anon suggested using steel wool, viegar, and coffee. The feet are just bearing located with headless screws.
>>
File: D3.jpg (486 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
D3.jpg
486 KB, 1200x1600
I built and fit a pair of double doors for a friend. Never made or hung a regular door before so was anxious that I fucked up the sizes. Everything worked out ok though.
>>
File: D4.jpg (457 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
D4.jpg
457 KB, 1200x1600
>>989392
Another view for prosperity
>>
>>989392
>>989394

Looks good but double doors are retarded unless they are double full width.

Too narrow on their own to really go through head on without hitting anything unless you have the body of a child and certainly not while carrying anything.
>>
I made an AC wiring detector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adtThp7bnhU
>>
>>989407
It's like a 4 foot door opening, asshat. A single leaf 4 foot door would be absolutely retarded.
>>
>>989407
>implying you're meant to use only 1 side of the door at a time

you're not a smart one are you
>>
File: IMG_2612.jpg (351 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2612.jpg
351 KB, 1600x1200
>>989332
i like it
finished this coffee table yesterday, dried enough to handle today.
>>
>>989407
Basically what the other guy said. One giant ass 960cm wide door that blocked off the whole hall would have been retarded. They don't lead to a room either to clarify. It's was just a pretty deep alcove before the front door that my buddy keeps his gear for work in. It's an apartment block and they got a kid on the way so they wanted to segregate that area off.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 109

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.