[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Me and my gf both love bugs. We'd like to raise some larvae
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: acagra coa.jpg (106 KB, 880x617) Image search: [Google]
acagra coa.jpg
106 KB, 880x617
Me and my gf both love bugs. We'd like to raise some larvae into beetles, moths, etc. in our free time and taxidermize them when they pass on. Any fellow entomology buffs here that can recommend me books or pointers about this? I really have no idea where I would start.
>>
>>971429

1) find a beetle you like
2) look into the very simple care. usually just order bug, feed bug. They usually come with 'beetle jelly'

It's really that simple, for the most part. beetles are cheap and readily available, so is the food and substrate.
>>
File: DSC_0116.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0116.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>971429
can't help you with books, but here's what i was able to grow at home
pic 1
>>
File: DSC_0121.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0121.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
pic 2
>>
File: DSC_0186.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0186.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
pic 3 (last)

i let the butterfly fly away in the end
>>
>>971429
I grew triops for a while in a tank, was dead easy. There were a few Angel shrimp and other odd things in there. The last couple of triops, Brian and Penultimate Brian were interred into Smirnoff miniatures where they still stay, eternally swimming in the Tsar's choice.
>>
>>971435
>>971436
>>971437

Very pretty! What type of caterpillar is this?

>>971448
And yeah I was thinking about doing Triops too with just a kit though. There's actually a method that's not too costly that you can use to unlock their dinosaur genetics that I've been thinking about doing.
>>
>>971433

Common beetles are cheap, but the ones that are worth ordering are usually 40+ each. I'm trying to learn how to cycle them even in case I wanted to sell bugs as a business.
>>
>>971453
>Very pretty! What type of caterpillar is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papilio_machaon
i accidentally found it on a bunch of dill i pick up from my garden and decided to let it do its thing
just gave her more dill to eat
turned out to be protected species so i dun good, right anon?
>>
File: Buffalo_Bill.jpg (59 KB, 400x490) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo_Bill.jpg
59 KB, 400x490
>>
>>971429
It's relatively easy. Begin by reading as much as you can about beetle breeding. Start with easy species from Cetoniidae family (almost everyone starts with Eudicellas).
The beetles have usually 3 larval stages, a pupa, and the adult imago beetle stage.
L1 and L2 larvae are readily available for ordering, and are very cheap. Or just google your nearest breeder and arrange a visit.
If you start from larvae, you would need a larger plastic box with lid, some soil and a warmer place to keep them.
You should build an enclosure for adults, using a smaller glass terrarium for example, some sticks, enough soil to lay eggs in and some food.
You can harvest soil for the most common species in deciduous forests, but beware, each beetle species prefers a different composition. Soil from under an oak or beech is safe for the beginner beetles though.
Food for adults is as simple as banana or apple slices, or beetle jelly if you want to be fancy.
>>
File: 1458734127080.jpg (33 KB, 460x527) Image search: [Google]
1458734127080.jpg
33 KB, 460x527
>>971526
>>
>>971448
I laughed out loud
>>
>>971429
>when they pass on
pass on to what? do they have souls? do all bugs go to heaven?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.