[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building my first AR...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: echo-trigger-2016.jpg (86 KB, 760x984) Image search: [Google]
echo-trigger-2016.jpg
86 KB, 760x984
Hey /DIY/

I'm looking to build an AR-10 as a defensive sporting rifle. By that I mean I'm looking to build an AR-10 that can be used for hunting and range shooting but is able to be carried while camping and used to kill off attacking predators like bears. The thing is I don't know much about firearms and I'm not sure I can afford the trigger I want ( pic related ) if I buy a completed AR-10. Does /DIY/ know anything about building a firearm?

Right now I don't have ANY parts. I do plan on buying vid related and ( same as pic related ) would just like to know how I should go about deciding which parts to buy, etc.

I'd also like some information in regards to what goes into building an AR at each stage of building just to see if building one at home is actually possible in my situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYThNUVZrYM
>>
>>970117
Read the sticky
>>
>>970117
>>>/k/
>>
>>970117
If you don't know about shooting, don't get too geared out. You can replace the trigger later. Perfectly normal parts can get you to 200-300 yards with a 308

Also, full sized cartridges aren't that fun to plink with or train with, so I'd say get an ar-15 and git Gud with that first.

I'm newb too but am stuck having to buy an ar-10 right away because California is trying to make everything illegal.
>>
>>970117
Weapons aren't allowed on /diy/ for some reason. /k/ has a dedicated general for ARs iirc, you should probably ask there instead.
>>
>>970124
>>970125
Ah, sorry guys. I forgot to check the sticky. My bad. I'll head back to /k/.

>>970126
ty for your advice.
>>
>>970117
For the diy portion of your post, yes, you can build one on your kitchen counter in a micro apartment with minimal tools if you want, the AR platforms are basically the legos of the firearm world.

For the safety/common sense portion, I'd avoid any type of release trigger, they just aren't really necessary unless you're that into ultimate precision/gadgets, or you just want to spray bullets. And they can actually be dangerous.

For the rest, yeah bro, ARs are cool, but take it to /k/. Guys there will be able to close their eyes and draw you step by step instructions.
>>
>>970117
Scewing a barrel on an upper is a bitch but is possible to diy.

I do t think you are machining the upper or barrell.

Assembling the parts is pretty trivial.
Milling the lower is hard to completely fuck up but easy to make look like shit.
>>
>>970117
guy in the video didn't hit a single target.
>>
>>970124
Stop being a nigger
>>
>>970129
This.

If you can assemble Ikea furniture, you can build an AR.
>>
>>970117
>Doesn't know what he's doing.
>Wants a $500 trigger assembly on a gun he'll probably fire twice a year.

You've surpassed full retard.
>>
>>970129
>>970323
O.P. here, neato and thanks. >.> You guys have already been a lot more helpful than most of /k/ has been over the past few days. I had gone back like >>970124 and >>970125 said but before going back to the AR community I actually went to the ak-47 community. They were really quick with detailed with answers regarding use of their favorite in terms of what I was looking for and while I know their favorite rifle isn't the perfect fit it seems like it might fit the role well enough to be worth an investment. I'm thinking I'll try an AK or VEPR at the range but I'll keep in mind everything you folks said about how easy it is to build an AR at home.

Cheers to /DIY/ which may just be the most hospitable non-request board on 4chan.
>>
>>970326
>thinks you need a good reason to spend stupid amounts of money on a gun

Non-gun-owner detected. My friend, once you start with them, they become like shoes to women.
>>
>>970117
Now I don't know much about guns, but that article you posted has more Buzz words than a political debate.
>The Echo trigger is made with cutting edge technology
An entire point made of buzz words
>>
>>970336
It's just a new craze. I highly suggest buying one or building one quickly, this was a fuckup by the ATF. They'll be on it in no time.

I'm just waiting for the plans to be released, probably by fosscad. You're pretty much safe to build them, even after the ruling, unless they make their change apply to purchases before said ruling as well.
>>
>>970326
Actually I'd be using it at least once a month + during camping ( as something to defend myself with against predators ) and possibly hunting.

>>970336
Yeah, I didn't put much stock into the poster. The video is what peeked my interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYThNUVZrYM [Embed]

>>970334
And you are correct. I've fired them as a child but want to build my own.

>>970344
Yeah, that is my thinking too in terms of the ATF screwing up. On the bright side buying it now means I can put two shots into a charging bear with a single trigger pull instead of one.
>>
Alright, so where exactly do I begin? I know I'll need paperwork to get a lower reciver for an AR-15 or AR-10 but if I'm right I should be able to buy the rest of the parts which is whatever is in an upper, the sights or optic, and whatever else I'm forgetting, right?
>>
>>970348
You don't need any paperwork in a free state. Just buy online, choose a gun store with the cheapest transfers, ship it to them. Most gun buying sites automatically get their FFL. Go pick it up, fill out the paper they give you, wait your States waiting period, then it's yours. Alternatively, go to the gunshop right when your package ships, then you can avoid the wait.
>>
>>970348
Ohh, and yes. Nothing except the lower requires a transfer.
>>
>>970348
You are correct. I used DPMS, but that was in 1996, and my interest was service rifle competition, so NOT /k/. I know you'll need some punches, screwdrivers, hammer, pliers... My memory is vague at this point, but it was very easy. One thing I don't remember is headspacing? I do know that you will probably need a vise at some point, but not as much as you think you will.

I know that .308/7.62 will take down a bear, but if I were going into bear country it would be the minimum I'd take. Old grizz don't play, anon.
>>
>>970361
>>970363
I found a lower on sale for under $300 in the "scratch & dent" section of an online store that seems like a good deal. Sadly it is for an AR-15 and while they can stop bears you'd have to dump all 30 rounds.

>>970371
You're right about them not playing; that is why I'm looking to build a defensive rifle. I could use a .44 Magnum/.45 Colt Henry carbine but I'm afraid seven shots, even if they all hit ( 10 shots hit from the non-carbine model ) wouldn't be enough. Like you I'm also not getting my rifle for /k/ reasons; I suppose it would be more /asp/ or /out/.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.