[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Craftsman in a corner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160328_204557052_HDR.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_204557052_HDR.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
Wife and I are replacing the door trim in our house. We like the craftsman style but there is this strange hallway corner where there isn't enough space between doorways for the chunkier door trim. I considered trying to do a casing that wraps around, i don't actually know how that would look. Any suggestions?
>>
File: casingdiy-2.jpg (6 KB, 163x176) Image search: [Google]
casingdiy-2.jpg
6 KB, 163x176
>>969372
Here's a ref picture of the style.
>>
I'm visualizing some vertical fake joist in those 2 corners.
>>
>>969372

If the casing and head are just s4s lumber (Square edges, no profile) then just run them together like you would with base or crown at an inside corner. Leaving 1" or 1/2" gaps of wall between the edges of the casing at corners looks like shit, and will be an incredible pain in the ass to paint that sliver of wall if you ever repaint another color. It's done the same way in old houses with original trim, just butt everything together and it'll look great.
>>
>>970385
This. I can personally attest to the pain in the ass painting that sliver of wall part. Not worth the hassle.
>>
>>969401
I second this
>>
Very cool thanks for the advice.
>>
Make it continuous, treat it as one cased opening for all 3 doors instead of 3 separate cased openings.
>>
>>969401
>>970406
>>
What do you mean there isn't room? Can you not use a table saw? If the doors/drywall run at an angle, then just measure the difference between the top and the bottom and freehand that bitch home. A little gap is okay, because your shit is painted anyway, just caulk it.
>>
>>971306
This dude knows what's up. Hell you could rough cut it on a table saw and then scribe it down with a belt sander or block plane
>>
>>970391
Dunno why you had such a problem. The sides of the trim can't even be seen, so it's forgivable to be sloppy and just get the paint in there however you can. Just run a strip of painters tape along the trim to prevent getting it on the face.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.