[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wine Making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 4i4p22b.jpg (5 KB, 136x210) Image search: [Google]
4i4p22b.jpg
5 KB, 136x210
Ok /diy/, i have 2.5-3g of pure honey feom the keeper and today my buddies mom let me borrow a blue glass 5g jug. I don't have an vaper lock, which is why I'm making the thread, but I've looked over a few /diy/ lock on google. So my question is this, what kind of lock would /diy/ recommend a first time wine maker make?

>pic related

I was thinking about making one like this.

Also general brewing/wine making thread.
>>
>>968215
I would recommend going to a brewing store and paying the 5 dollars for a purpose-built one. It'll be essentially like your picture, but will cost you less and you'll be certain that the materials are food-grade.
>>
>>968226
What happens if it's not food grade material? Honey vinegar?
>>
>>968226

could probably get 2 for $5. don't forget your StarSan
>>
>>968231
I was just going to use white vinegar and double rinse with a couple of gallons of distilled water. I really don't like spending money, that's counter productive when avoidable.
>>
>>968234

okay, enjoy your infections.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-26-22-03-49-1.png (180 KB, 1440x1101) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-26-22-03-49-1.png
180 KB, 1440x1101
>>968279
You know, people have been using white vinegar for centuries as a cleaner right? I'm not to worried about staph or any other crazy bacteria living in the jug. I guess i could do a paroxcide rinse on it if your that worried about my health. Why do anons come to /diy/ and shill for overpriced products?
>>
I used cling wrap and rubber bands for my 5 gallon jug. Then just poked a couple pinholes in the plastic.
>>
File: airlock-s-bubbler.jpg (20 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
airlock-s-bubbler.jpg
20 KB, 600x600
-bloop-
>>
>>968296
See, this looks like something i could make out of stainless steel and a welder.
>>
>>968234
bleach works a lot better than vinegar. A capful or two in hot water will do the trick.
>>
>>968234
I'm confused as to why not bleach?

you know if you poured a gallon of bleach into a 5 gallon bucket, or something that will give it more surface area. after like a few days the bleach will evaporate off and leave the water behind. IE: you can drink a bottle-o-bleach.

so doing a 50x50 mixture of bleach and water, to clean your stuffs you will get better result. as long as you rinse it good, and then let it air dry over night upside down. there shouldn't be any bleachy taste/residue. its not like soap. soaps a real PITA to get out of jars once its in there.. cause of the oils.
>>
>>968215
Just buy a two or three piece air lock off amazon. I like the three piece because a lot of my batches I like to use some pretty hardy yeast in and it can foam over for the first few days and 3 pieces are easier to clean and reuse.
>>
>>968302
>>968303

Vinegar is cheap, i dont buy bleach, and i already use in on my plant pots.

>>968304
I already have lots of stuff to make a lock, the only thing I'm not sure about is the food grade plastics i have, I'll google it tomorrow, or the type of air lock i shoild make. I just really hate spending money on things i can make myself with material i already have or can easily get for free.
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 1076x876) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 1076x876
>>968234
>letting any kind of vinegar near your brew
You do know the kind of bacteria you are most scared of makes vinegar right?

My recommendation for you is to do a 1-2 gallon batch first if you insist on being retarded. After three weeks if you haven't fucked everything up with your lack of proper air locks and sanitation try the five gallons and pray.

You say you don't like spending money but sanitizer and air locks are a pittance compared to wasting enough honey to make 5 gallons of mead. Being a cheap ass can often cost you more money.
>>
>>968511
Romans made wine, I'll get by just fine.
>>
>>968303
>after like a few days the bleach will evaporate off and leave the water behind

The decomposition of sodium hypochlorite in bleach isn't really evaporation. You're gonna get chlorine gas escaping the water and sodium chloride in the water. The water will evaporate and will concentrate the salt.
>>
>>968234
isn't a gallon of bleach cheaper than a gallon of vinegar? ...not to mention the distilled water
>>
File: 1458345196765.gif (38 KB, 408x397) Image search: [Google]
1458345196765.gif
38 KB, 408x397
>>968301
>ITT: people who value their work for exactly $0/h
>>
>>970034
my time is worth exactly 0$ while i'm shitposting on here.
>>
>>970037
See, I actually get paid for it by wine lock manufacturers association, I've waited a long time for this thread.
>>
>>970034
OP clearly is a jobless bum, so that is exactly what his time is worth...
>>
>>969984
Reatrd
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.