[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time poster here needing a helping hand from a locksmith/carpenter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
First time poster here needing a helping hand from a locksmith/carpenter on ways to fix this raggedy back door of this rental unit. The door has been shouldered in multiple times by an ex-roomie that's not allowed to be around the house anymore and looking for ingenious ways to get this doorway sturdy. I got a few pics but can take more from preferred angles. My own thoughts on this to show my own (in)experience? Is digging further into the green beam with a reciprocating saw and then nailing a 2x6 to it so the new lock and door can have some bite and support. I gotta ask here since my Chinese landladies and their Chinese 'contractor' are just really clueless.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Damn sideways pictures, am on my phone
>>
>>967492
>rental unit

It's not your job to fix it, you call up whoever you're leasing it from and get them to fix it, if it was your fault then you pay, if it's something that happened naturally then they pay. Only good thing about renting a place is not having to pay a plumber/electrician/glazier when shit breaks.
>>
>>967492
That wallpaper!

Get a crowbar and pry it out. Replace with new lumber.
>>
>>967499
It's cheap rent and these two landlady sisters are hot af.

>>967500
Crowbar idea sounds great. Pry out the old, hammer new studs in then get a locksmith over here to deadbolt it in?
>>
>>967507
You can make the hole for the deadbolt in the frame with a drill, forstner bit and a chisel.
>>
>>967512
There seems to be old drywall right beside the old dingy support beam, leave that or dig into it so I can double up on the new wooden beam?
>>
You would prob. get more ideas if you posted a picture of the hot land ladies!
>>
File: deadboltstrikeplate[1].jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
deadboltstrikeplate[1].jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>967492
Old wood is kill. CAREFULLY remove it and replace it. Use a flat prybar for this step. You don't want to damage everything around the bit you are removing and make more work for yourself. A reciprocating saw is good for cutting in half nails and screws if you can't get to the heads. Once replaced get yourself a deadbolt strikeplate kit. Pic related. The kind with long screws, not the dinky little ones. This spreads the load out when someone tries to kick in your door. It wont keep a truly determined fucker out but it will make it a lot more work.
>>
>>967507
>It's cheap rent and these two landlady sisters are hot af.

Post pics of landladys. Or no more free advice.
>>
looks like its been kicked in 20 times. Buy a steel kick proof lay it into jamb. ugly but fixed. and secure.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.