[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would it take to (1) unclog the drain, (2) fix diposal,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160324_091225.jpg (405 KB, 2617x1902) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_091225.jpg
405 KB, 2617x1902
What would it take to (1) unclog the drain, (2) fix diposal, & (3) install a hand sprayer thing? How much would a plumber charge?
>>
File: IMG_20160324_091235.jpg (632 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_091235.jpg
632 KB, 2448x3264
>>966819
>>
File: IMG_20160324_091241.jpg (799 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_091241.jpg
799 KB, 2448x3264
>>966820
>>
>>966819
1. get a snake and do it yourself
2. whats wrong with the disposal
3. get a T fitting and add the sprayer

A plumber is going to charge you a whole lot more than you want.
>>
>>966822
Okay will it fit in sink hole though (5 small hole openings). Should I just unscrew the catcher and clean? I'm worried when I screw it back, it will leak. 2. Don't know, 3. the t fitting connects to source or end by top of sink? Ty
>>
>>966829
A snake goes right down the sink, you may have to pull a catch off if its too small

As for adding the T connector, you would do it right after the water valve where your sink is hooked up right now.
>>
Plumber here. You're not gonna find a plumber to do that without replacing the plumbing up to the wall and without replacing the disposal for a new one. Granted you will get a good job, but that's just not how plumbers work. They will make no money if they replace tiny gaskets in old systems and have to return when another part in the system fails.
On the west coast for a plumber to come and replace drain to the wall and new disposal you're looking at 500-800 with the drain unclog and the price of the new disposal.
To add a hand sprayer, that depends on whether your sink is stainless or cast iron.
>>
1) draino
2) a disposal wrench
3) a sprayer kit

Diy - $30
Plumber - several hundred
>>
>>966829
>>966856
A 1/4 inch snake will fit through a typical strainer basket in a kitchen sink.
Have you ever used a snake motor-power snake? If you snake from the top of the sink you will have to get it to go around the trap which can be tricky. The snake can bind up on you and shoot out of the drain or twist around your hand and injure you. It is also typical with an old and badly-done system such as the one you're posting for the snake to just completely break the pipe or break the seals on the joints.
If you think the stoppage is at the trap then you should not be worrying about re-sealing it. It will re seal just fine.
>>
>>966859
>>966856 here
Highly advise against Drano. If it doesn't in clog it and you will be down 30 dollars or so on all the bottles of it you bought and you will then have a drain stopped up and full of a caustic chemical. Good luck having to snake it then or getting a plumber to snake it.
I've had to deal with the exact situation and you better believe I charged more because I was wrist deep in a caustic chemical.
Disposal wrench will work if there is something just stuck in the disposal. If it's anything else it won't work. OP would you mind elaborating on what's wrong exactly with the disposal? Will it just not turn on?
>>
>>966856 here again
OP if you want to clean out the trap just undo the two nuts on either side of it. The one right underneath the T fitting is a simple compression joint. There will be a small plastic or rubber washer on the pipe that the nut compresses to create a seal. You can usually just tighten up just fine. Worst case a box of new plastic or or rubber gaskets should be about 2 dollars. The other nut looks to be a union where the seal is created by a gasket built into the arm going to the wall. H
This should seek fine. The nuts are likely hand tight if not you will need pliers. To undo the nuts, when looking at them from a birds eye view, spin them counter-clockwise.
>>
>>966856
>On the west coast for a plumber to come and replace drain to the wall and new disposal you're looking at 500-800

That's pretty reasonable. Maybe it Texas it would be closer to 500. Thank you.
>>
>>966880
Dont be a little girly, you can replace all that shitball plumbing with new PVC for like 25$. You can even put a brand new disposal in for like 75$

Doing it all yourself isnt actually that hard, its just you have 3-4 small and separate projects ahead of you.
I have faith in you though
>>
File: IMG_20160324_091249.jpg (606 KB, 3264x2164) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_091249.jpg
606 KB, 3264x2164
>>966889
I'm just not sure how I'd install the sprayer or T fitting here.
>>
>>966893
That piece on the left comes out and you mount the sprayer there. Easy enough.
But how do you supply water to it? Honestly I have never seen a hand sprayer that doesn't come with the faucet. Usually the sprayer connects tk the faucet and the temperature of the water is controlled by the mixer in the faucet and there is a diverter to have water come from the faucet or the spray.
In your case the only way would be to some how rig a sprayer to connect straight to the water supply since your faucet is not sprayer compatible. You will only be able to connect to hot or cold supply. So you will always either have only cold water or hot coming out of the sprayer.
You would accomplish this by
-replacing one of the angle stops(the valve your facet supply hoses are connected to) to a 2 way angle stop
Or
-placing some kind of t-fitting directly on the existing angle stop. So that answers your question about the T.
What kind of t? Couldn't tell you. I would just replace the angle stop with a 2 way but that involves shutting off the water to the building.
So tl;Dr
You can rig a sprayer hose but it will be crappy with no temp control. If you want it done right you have to buy a new faucet that comes with a sprayer.
>>
>>966859
Get the fuck out, draino is no bueno.
>>
>>966898
This guy knows, OP.
>>
File: dranoe.png (63 KB, 202x350) Image search: [Google]
dranoe.png
63 KB, 202x350
>>966944
for you anon, with love
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.