[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently transplanted some guts from a radio controlled clock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: G181859_98314.jpg (157 KB, 1193x1200) Image search: [Google]
G181859_98314.jpg
157 KB, 1193x1200
I recently transplanted some guts from a radio controlled clock and stuck it in anohter clock that's in an awkward place and often gets forgotten. The ultimate goal is to stick a solar cell in the clock and just leave it to exist. Unfortunately, the clock I transplanted the guts into is all metal, so the radio controlled parts are having troubles pulling the signal. I read about passive resonant loop antennas that you could make and just stick in your attic, and field concentrator antennas that you put behind/near the clock itself to help the signal.
The clock itself has a thin wire looped and waxed around a ferrite rod. in the back of the clock module. What can I do to try and beef up the signal? How would I go about calculating and making those antennas?
>>
What is the frequency it receives?
>>
>>966072
I believe it operates on 60kHz, since that's what WWVB transmits
>>
>>966054
Cool clock!
>>
>>966054
Just make a whip 1/4 wavelength and feed it out of the clock. You could hide it in the face
>>
File: joke.jpg (20 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
joke.jpg
20 KB, 300x250
>>966153
>1/4 wave
>60khz
>You could hide it in the face
>>
Try removing the ferrite rod and running wires out to it outside the metal case. Correct orientation in relation to the station will help.
>>
>>966282
Thing is, we have another one that faces the opposite direction, not perpendicular, and it works fine.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.