[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
homemade hearing aid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Hearing-Aid-F-139-.jpg (12 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Hearing-Aid-F-139-.jpg
12 KB, 400x300
so i want to build a hearing aid, since i can't use discrete parts (transistors, resistors, condonsators) for obvious size reasons.

what are the ICs i could use ?.
1.5V is my current.

thank you
>>
>>964828
>condonsators
>1.5V is my current.
move along, nothing to see
>>
>>964830
>you must be a native english speaker or i'll make fun of you
drop dead, kid
>>
>>964828
Eastern bloc electronics.inc trying to steal muh 'murrican patents again?
Use an LM328 minimum voltage is 3V so use w 2, 1.5V cells
Those things run with 2 in series just so you know.
Alternatively you could build one off a decently biased transistor
And add an in ear headphone to the output and a mic to the input.
>>
>>964839
alright i found a DSP that doesn't need to many parts to work.
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=RHYTHM%20R3920
however is expensive as fuck, cheaper than a full hearing aid but sill.
>>
>>964841
Idk, how serious your want to make this or how much time/effort/money you want to put in to it.
There are some super sensitive and precise smd op amps out there that run on fumes.
At some point i heard someone talk about these things, and they mentioned the hardest part was getting the right frequencies amplified to hear speech and not just all the noise, so i guess some new fangled filtering might be needed.
A high and low pass filter would do the job, if your really up to the challenge use a band pass filter to get the right harmonics.
Keeping it small will be easy if you can make your own circuit board and get it reflow soldered. As smd components are much smaller.

Tho on the other hand an LM328 amp circuit is a kiddy build that you could adapt for your needs and if you don't plan to use it as an actual medially approved device (e.i. getting a pass on a physical) feel free to butcher it every with way you like.

Using a crystal earpiece will also have better results since it's more responsive at low voltages.
>>
>>964848
thanks for the post, i appreciate.
>if your really up to the challenge use a band pass filter to get the right harmonics.
thats what i was thinking of doing, if i went with analog

> LM328

it needs a 3V minimum supply, thats twice what i have.
>>
>>964828
I actually worked at an audiologist office for several years and know quite a bit. These devices are not nearly as simple as they seem and if you do it wrong you will likely end up with a worse hearing loss.

Also doing the calibrations without an audiologist can result in further damaging your hearing. I have dealt with a lot of people ended up with worse hearing after getting their hearing aids from retailers. It's not worth making your hearing worse.
>>
>>964910
What a surprise, a professional discourages /diy/. Into the trash it goes.

>>964828
Just use a low-voltage op-amp and a 3V button cell. Nobody's gonna want an AAA battery hanging off their ear.
>>
>>964949
>What a surprise, a professional discourages /diy/. Into the trash it goes.

I, a non-professional, will elaborate. If your hearing loss is noise induced, sticking a bigass amplifier in your ear can and will exacerbate the problem.

If your hearing loss is caused by a bone defect in your stirrup, specific frequency bands will be harder to hear. Amplifying bands other than those will cause noise induced hearing loss.

A hearing aid does a lot more than amplify sound. It's worth reading some of the literature on how these things work before assuming the audiologist is being protectionist.
>>
>>964961
DIY isn't about safety.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 741x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 741x567
>>964961
>>964992
Modern hearing aids use a dynamic bandpass to amplify the person talking to you and cut the people in the background who aren't.

You're not going to make that yourself, any more than you're going to make your own smartphone, mill, or processor.

Do it for fun, sure, but you owe it to yourself to use something less shit than your home-made frankenprosthetic.
>>
>>964949
>>964910
What a surprise, a professional discourages /diy/. Into the trash it goes.

Yeah, I hate it when someone who knows what they are talking about tries to save an anon from fucking themselves over! We should delete this board!
>>
>>965072
>Yeah, I hate it when someone who knows what they are talking about tries to save an anon from fucking themselves over! We should delete this board!

Or we could just help the OP without nitpicking his premise. When someone asks "how do I build X" and someone else responds "no, don't build X!" that isn't exactly helpful. Your idea that the board can't exist without professionals or professional nutriders discouraging everyone without 12 years of college and $100,000 in tools, is silly.
>>
>>964999
>You're not going to make that yourself
but you can see >>964841
the DSPs are available for sale, you just need to solder the components together.
>>
>>965298
So what, you're making a raspberry pi by buying a bcm2835 and putting it on a board?

Seems legit.
>>
>>965298
they're also programmed with proprietary software. its the difference between building a computer from parts and building a computer by designing your own motherboard and writing your own operating system. if you could do the later then you would be able to afford the $4000 for a pair of the best units on the market.

>>964999
they're less fancy than that. I know, Ive read the brochures. they dont actually do half of what they claim. the big difference is the telecoil function, bluetooth functionality, the bandpass filters and overlays.

I had to research all this shit for a friend who had tinitus and a band of hearing loss for years and the hearing aids fixed the problem quite well. they can be tuned to emit an anti-white noise that tinitus sufferers hear to sort of cancel out the noise and apparently train the brain to not hear it anymore. he was blown away when I turned on the telecoil in his phone and he could use the phone, something he hadnt been able to do for a decade.
>>
File: simple.jpg (126 KB, 861x598) Image search: [Google]
simple.jpg
126 KB, 861x598
>>965318
are you a retard or just trolling ?

even a chimp can put this together.
>>
>>964828
you can build pretty small circuits yourself if you use SMD parts and wire them together directly, skeleton-style
-however-
I'd agree with the hearing-aid guy: hearing aids aren't just simple amps (at least, in first-world countries they're not).

If you did a Walkman-style one you might have better luck. You'd have the mic mounted on/near the earphone, and both the mic and earphone wires leading to a belt-mounted case that has the batteries and circuit in it.
>>
>>964961
Thank you for elaborating when I was too drunk to do it properly myself. Exactly if your hearing loss is a nerve issue then the sound is still reaching the cochlea so even if you can't perceive it you are still susceptible to noise damage and simply turning up the volume can lead to further noise damage.

If its a defect which prevents the vibrations from even reaching the nerve then you need to make sure you are not unnecessarily exposing yourself to noise.

>>965321
The software is a big part and I personally know of one company which sold several tiers of a specific model hearing aid which was secretly the same hearing aid with a software lock on some features.For a while they would occasionally send it with the wrong software and patients would end up with nicer hearing aids than they paid for.

Some brands are worse than other about making claims when they really sell over priced garbage that feedback and sound like tin. There are a few which did a pretty good job at having the hearing aids communicate to figure out the direction the sound was coming from and do some smart filtering.

>>964828
Before actually building this device I would recommend testing your hearing to make sure you know what to amplify. I would recommend going to an audiologist and getting your hearing tested professionally so you have an accurate idea which frequencies you need to boost.

If you don't want to do that I would recommend performing test of your own on both ears with as reliable audio equipment as you can get your hands on. Noise proof room if you have it. This will most likely be pretty inaccurate but it will at least give you a better idea of what you need to amplify.

Try not to amply the frequencies that don't have a significant loss. If there is a range with a minor loss I would just leave it alone to protect your remaining hearing. Try to edge on the quite side to protect your remaining hearing
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.