[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my shower is leaking, dripping from the ceiling below. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: shower.jpg (105 KB, 539x304) Image search: [Google]
shower.jpg
105 KB, 539x304
So my shower is leaking, dripping from the ceiling below.

I specifically put the shower head facing directly the drain for 5 minutes, nothing. Sprayed it on the edges, and it started leaking. So it's leaking from the grout

How do I resolve this issue?
>>
Silicone?
>>
>>963425
geocel 2300
>>
Remove old sealant from the bottom edge of the shower and redo it properly.
>>
>>963427

Yeah, it is silicone grout as far as I'm aware, and it looks like it's disolving. The shower was only installed 6 years ago though :/
>>
>>963430
Scrape out old grout. Replace it. If it leaks again the problem is behind the tiles, in which case BRACE YERSEL
>>
>>963425
also check if it leaks only when you're inside the shower. sometimes your weight makes the floor sag and reveal new gaps.
>>
>>963472

It is worse when I stand in it, although it leaks even without me in in.
>>
>>963431
>6 years

It won't be the grout that has failed.

It will be the silicon bead around the shower tray rim.

>>963473
This bolsters the idea of it being the silicon seal bead.

It's a flexible seal so it will get worse when you're in it if there's already a break.

Remove and reseal but put weight on the tray when you reseal it.

Same principal of filling a bath with water while the silicon sets.
>>
>>963425
put some termites on it, they will fill the cavities
>>
>>963496
>forcing this meme this hard in multiple threads to desperately try to make it catch on.
>>
>>963425

How were leaks prevented before the invention of silicone sealant?
>>
>>963425
i had a customer call me over to see what was leaking with one of those type of showers in the pic a few years ago.
the foam in the bottom had compacted and cracked which made the base sag some and disloge from the shower walls a little bit
>>
>>963553
Badly.
>>
>>963553
was I the only one who was more interested in the roof repair than the conversation going on in this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMuam1MObtI
>>
>>963425
gotta use your caulk
>>
Sell your house and buy a new one with no leaky shower, if it happens again repeat the process
>>
File: DARES yur problem.jpg (26 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
DARES yur problem.jpg
26 KB, 900x506
Tile setter here
>>963431
Cementitious grout cannot ever seal anything. It's porous and is actually a good way of moving/evaporating moisture rather than sealing.

OP definitely has a failed joint if the leak starts/stops this quickly, so yeah, silicone. And this time actual silicone not latex gap filler. You'll have to get everything good and dry though.

The real issue though is all the wet stuff behind the tiles, and more importantly why you don't have a functioning membrane. As I fist pointed out the grout is not a seal in any way so you need a proper waterproofing system to barrier the structure from the water. You can attempt to seal it using epoxy grout but you need zero movement (only works with prefab cement walls affixed to non-jointed slab flooring).

TLDR: expose the wet as best you can, dry it out till it's like a popcorn fart, reseal it with 100% silicone, and hope the rot doesn't set in and there isn't enough flexibility to tear the seal.

http://www.abis.com.au/waterproofing
>>
>>964182
i think you are wrong because there IS waterproof silicone and it is a major bitch to get off... not dissing you as a tile setter but just saying there is good silicone thats water proof.
>>
>>964202
I don't think that means what you think it means
>>
>>964202
As far as I know there isn't a silicone sealant that bonds through water, but that would be awesome so show me where I'm wrong if that's the case.
>>964205
What he said
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.