[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smart Door Locks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: NormalAppImage(14)(1).png (1 MB, 1373x2083) Image search: [Google]
NormalAppImage(14)(1).png
1 MB, 1373x2083
Anyone used a Smart Lock deadbolt in place of a door handle? I'm looking to add some security to my gun room, but I'd like something I can attach with relative ease.

Otherwise I'd just install it as a normal deadbolt.
>>
>>962916
I have the standard home depot one. Pretty useless without a z wave home automation hub. I control it from an app, but I'd have to use the keypad otherwise. Call me spoiled, but touching the thing defeats the purpose of a smart lock.
>>
Literally door Fedora.
>>
>>962916
Smart locks add convenience, not security. Add more bulk if you want security.
>>
smart door locks are at least 10 years from a good product... dont get me wrong I REALLY want one, but the first thing is... IT CANT HAVE A KEYPAD and IT sure cant LOOK LIKE A SMART LOCK (that screams: PLEASE ROB ME NOW) so right now are no good smart locks
>>
>>962916
just get a magnetic door lock + some arduino and sensors or keypad, and DIY yourself the best "smart" lock there is
>>
>>963836
This.

I want to build my own primarily so my kids can get in and out without keys, but the bullshit on the market is a lock-in travesty.
>>
I took a door cylinder to the locksmith the other day that was probably at least 50 years old. And I asked him to rekey it. It cost me $8. He said let me tell you this nobody has ever repaired one of those electronic/keypad locks or rekeyed one. When it breaks its done.
>>
>>965580
Is locks breaking a common problem you encounter?
>>
>>965580
>a guy who makes a living fixing traditional locks told me I should keep using the thing that's keeping him in business
>>
File: 1433204882220.jpg (68 KB, 843x562) Image search: [Google]
1433204882220.jpg
68 KB, 843x562
>>965580
well they dont really work that way. when commercial electronic locks are installed they're networked to a system. security just adds your tag to the clear list and the lock will open for you now. when they break, yeah they replace the module. but it has nothing at all to do with rekeying the lock. electronic locks arnt "keyed" at all. they dont exist on an independent system.

those electronic doodads people stick on their private homes are shit. anyone whos ever had to replace a car key fob knows that you cant just go and buy one from any hardware store like you can buy a key from a locksmith.
>>
>>965808
How many people get a lock fixed?
I'm sure the guy has other sources of income than 8$ every 50 years
>>
>>965815
Yeah, 3 hour minimum call-outs.
>>
>>965812
Getting back to the original discussion, making a home-use electronic doodad that isn't shit: how do?
>>
>>962916
They're much easier to break.
But then again, locks only keep honest thieves out anyway.
>>
>>962957
>early adopters using hardware that will inevitably rule the "future home"
>hurrrrrrrrrrr le nerd tech fedora GNU/Linux meme

you people are really fucking stupid aren't you. The fucking jews down in hollywood has already brainwashed you fucking retards and given you an insight into what the future might possibly look like with home automation. smart/self-driving cars all the way up to surveillance along with precognition and getting rammed up in the ass without lube by the jew for thinking about calling him out, yet you remain with your idiotic mentality.
>>
File: infinias.png (380 KB, 979x1615) Image search: [Google]
infinias.png
380 KB, 979x1615
>>966026
this is your minimum buy in.
+400$ for a door strike or 900$ for a mag lock
>>
File: download (10).png (281 KB, 1040x652) Image search: [Google]
download (10).png
281 KB, 1040x652
>>966181
although a complete system would also include a UPS and a dedicated silent alarm line if the power goes out.

although its also possible to just use an arduino or rpi and just ping that to switch a relay either from your phone and wifi/bluetooth or a key fob for 5 seconds to let you open the door with something as cheap as this.
>aud32$
it leaves the existing lock and key system in place and just lets you disable the door latch. this way you can use your key or an electronic means of entry. you can get ones that fit deadbolts or whatever.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.