[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got steel siding over wood siding right now. House is 100 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Figure1-23.jpg (14 KB, 385x414) Image search: [Google]
Figure1-23.jpg
14 KB, 385x414
Got steel siding over wood siding right now. House is 100 years old in North Dakota.

Due to various moving of windows and other nonsense, the steel siding that is 30 years old, cannot be repaired, so just needs to be replaced.

I am going to replace it with vinyl.

Should I remove the steel and wood siding first?

All and all it can't be more than 2" of siding I'd be going through.

People put 2" of polystyrene under siding right? So its not like the nails will be too far out from the sheething to the siding, plus they aren't sitting in polystyrene, they are sitting in steel and wood.

thoughts?
>>
>>962804
Just use longer (than recommended) nails and get them STEEL and GALVANIZED (its worth it);

Did something similar with 30+ years old shed and it's all good since.

BUT its a sloppy job to be done. If you have the time and money, do a proper job, by first removing the old one and THEN applying the new one.

Just my thoughts on it..
>>
Take the steel siding off then decide what you want to do

Idk what I'm talking about tho
>>
I would take it down to the osb/plywood before installing the vinyl. Vinyl isn't difficult of complicated, but it can be screwed up, so why not make it easier on your self? Also, vinyl isn't water proof, so whatever goes underneath needs to be a vapour barrier like tyvek. Wind blown rain can penetrate vinyl., and if you don't have the barrier it whatever is there might not dry out for months.
>>
>>963228
the steel siding on it now is functional and waterproof, also it has an r-factor as it is filled with insulation. the wood siding underneath the steel siding is also weatherproof, as it is still painted from like 40 years ago....

so, everyone says "do it right take off the siding", but what I'm saying is, what is it that makes that right? I'm losing r-factor, sound proofing, and water protection; I'm also spending a shit-ton extra time ripping it off. To gain what?
>>
>>963294
in that case just sand blast the shit out of the steel siding and repaint it.
>>
>>963314
that just won't work for a variety of reasons I'm not going to sidetrack to.

The OP is to ask, what is the advantage to ripping it off, why not just side over it?
>>
>>963316
and we told him, rust may cause a lot of problems. moister escaping will have double time if not more, and if the steel really have such benefits, just sand blast it and repaint it, simple as that, if he wants to add vinyl remove the steel and add vinyl,

after some more years if he decides to remove the steel he will have double if not tripple the effort to do so IF he apply the vinyl on top of it, or imagien simple tasks and maintance over the years
>something leaks ?
>hmm it could be from the inner layer, or the mid layer or the outer layer ?! hm.... lets check the steel or could be something that evaporates between it and the vinyl or the drywall ? who knows... lets remove everything and fix it and put it back togheter

just remove the old shit, fix everything you come across and put the vinyl over.

if you thing its OK with the steel repaint it.
>>
>>963294
>functional and waterproof
Then what the hell are you replacing it for? Aesthetics? Trying to hang GOOD LOOKING vinyl over two layers of previous siding as an amateur is going to be a nearly impossible task.

Like I said before- vinyl isn't complicated, but it CAN be screwed up, and hanging it off of an uneven surface like two layers of siding will likely look screwed up. The professionals know the tricks that make it look outstanding, but an amateur can have good results with a little practice. You can put polystrene behind the vinyl before you hang it too, so your R rating will remain the same.

I also agree with what >>963328 said about troubleshooting future problems, etc. There's a reason you can only roof over once before you have to go back to ply!
>>
>>962804
My vote is strip it all off first. You CAN leave it all on, but you'll be juggling nail depth with every one you drive due to all of it being on an angle; forget using a nail gun. It will be very easy to have some totally shitty looking results. I would say take off the steel only to make nailing easier, but by the time you do that you may as well take it all off and really do it right. Another reason for saying take it off if it's been a while since I sided my house, and I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the correct nail is a roofing nail (for head diameter and weather resistance), and they don't make them that long. At the very least, if you leave it all on, do as anon said and use galvanized nails.
>>
>>963328
Well, the way you rephrased it makes sense and now I agree. Kind of.

The steel is fine except that it is 30 years old, a width and style I do not like, and damaged in several areas due to moving windows and adding doors etc, so it cannot be repaired; but %90+ is just fine.
>>
>>963228
Like this guy says

Take it all off steel an old wood siding then house wrap it. House wrap is designed to let the house breathe preventing rot and shedding water. Right now you probably have tar paper/felt under that wood siding.

Kinda the same aspect of people roofing over old shingles. You just don't know what's underneath.
>>
>>962804
Also, if you strip the steel, either you can recycle and make something out of it, keep it for "rainy" days or just sell it for scrap and take some $$ back for the vinyl cost or something.
>>
>>963341
Ok, in that case I WOULD (and if you agree you could too) try to do this:

>Make it look better and fix just the bad spots for practical reasons.
>If I don't like it after that, then proceed to peel it off and put the vinyl.

BUT if you are 100% sure that its ugly, damaged etc, or whatever reason there is. Just proceed to step two...

and >>963376 is right at some degree
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.