[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of DIY body hacking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12
What do you think of DIY body hacking?
>>
yet another method for cleansing the gene pool

chlorine for everyone!
>>
Disgusting and stupid and I say this as a tranny.

Though I guess if you're not hurting anyone else it's fine.
>>
>>962672
It's too early for body hacking to have a good risk:benefit.

However, if people want to be pioneers, I say let them. Maybe we can learn something from their stupid risk taking.

The one body hack I've seen that comes close to being viable is inserting a small magnet (2mm) into the side of a fingertip in order to better sense magnetic and electrical fields.

If the surgery is conducted with proper technique and sterile procedure, and the magnet is properly prepared and coated then it's not significantly more dangerous than some body piercings and it gives a definite advantage.

The problem is that it generally has to be self surgery by an amateur without any anesthetic, which IMO pushes the risks into the unacceptable range.
>>
>>962675
>The problem is that it generally has to be self surgery by an amateur without any anesthetic, which IMO pushes the risks into the unacceptable range.
Well it doesn't -have- to be but a surgeon's insurance probably won't cover it so they'll likely refuse you outright. Faggots :(
Hope something cool comes of it.

Think some people made a device which can transmit data to you through the aforementioned magnet implant.
>>
>>962679
With what, Morse code? How the fuck do you retain or decipher the 'data'? What data do I need to store under my skin that a fucking USB drive can't hold?
>>
>>962681
Think it's called bottlenose, look it up. I think the simplest way to transmit data would be making the magnet vibrate at a particular rate. Slow = low value, faster = higher value.
>>
>>962679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVTSXA0HTU

Surgeon's insurance definitely won't cover it, and they could lose their medical licence if the board found out they had performed unapproved surgery, even if nothing went wrong.

Best bet would be a piercing/body mod technician, they do subdermal implants.

In terms of data. You could transmit data through it, but it would be largely pointless - it would basically be the same as a smartwatch with a vibration alert.

Better to put a inductive speaker (pretty much a tiny magnet) into a tooth. That way you could listen to audio transmitted directly into your skull by means of an inductive loop.

The inductive technology is the same tech that's used in some concealed earpieces. You wear a wire loop around your neck and it vibrates the magnet in your ear without the earpiece requiring any power.

The problem with them is that they're very quiet. The tooth implant would potentially be easier to hear.
>>
>>962691
Ye, still it doesn't seem like a particularly dangerous 'surgery' even if you were doing it yourself. Really sucks that actual surgeons aren't allowed to touch it though.
>>
>>962692
What are nerves?

Also enjoy if you're ever going near an MR scanner with a magnet in your finger :')
>>
>>962692
It's not particularly dangerous, in that the most likely risk is that you'll fuck up your finger tip, not die. (and if you're smart you would have used your pinkie on your non dominant hand)

Problem is that if you fuck up your fingertip the whole exercise was worse than pointless, and you may not be able to try again on the same finger.
>>
>>962696
If you need an MRI then you have bigger problems. At that point it's no worse than a metal splinter, which a a lot of you /diy/ types have from working on lathes.

The magnet is actually pretty weak (you're not going to be picking up paperclips with it). The danger in an MRI would be burning your fingertip, not tearing off your arm like some final destination movie.
>>
>>962700
Some of the magnets are pretty big.

>>962696
>What are nerves?
Expendable.
>>
>>962701
It's not necessary to use a big magnet, the advantage to implanting the magnet in your fingertip is that it can be tiny since the nerves in your fingertip are so sensitive.

Using a big magnet doesn't really provide any advantage and increases the risks of damaging your finger during and after implantation. You don't want your finger to stick to things or move around too much and damage the surrounding tissue.

Your nerves aren't expendable if you want to feel anything from the magnet.
>>
>>962703
>Your nerves aren't expendable if you want to feel anything from the magnet.
There are other nerves; you're unlikely to kill all of them in the implantation.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (143 KB, 1619x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
143 KB, 1619x1080
>>962706
If you kill the closest nerve then you won't feel enough from the magnet. Even local inflammation can be enough to make it insensitive. In the video I posted the guy got a slight infection in his finger and had to remove it - but before that he noted that he couldn't feel the magnet vibrating.

I'm trying to simulate what it might feel like by supergluing a neodymium magnet to my finger. Hopefully I should be able to feel something. With a bandaid over it it's fairly inconspicuous and doesn't even really interfere with my typing.
>>
Literally body Fedora.
>>
>>962708
I had always been under the impression that it was less "magnet gets moved by EM fields" and more "magnet resonates as it moves through EM field and produces super fucking miniscule amounts of electricity that get picked up by your nerves"
If that's the case, gluing it to your finger won't do jack shit
>>
File: magnetic ring.jpg (95 KB, 1600x1013) Image search: [Google]
magnetic ring.jpg
95 KB, 1600x1013
even if you excuse the whole infection bit, it's a dumb novelty that you can get the same novelty results without drawbacks
even for the most interesting one which could almost have a purpose to someone, you can buy a magnetic ring off ebay for like 5 bucks, or could even make your own.
a removable piercing could be interesting for something who required greater sensitivity for some reason, then you could have a bio-inert bar with magnets on either end of it and otherwise customize

>>962743
it's just vibrations, the reason people can feel a buzzing is because they're feeling alternating current moving back and forth.
DC feels differently, pulling in one direction.
you don't really get a new sense out of it, you're just putting a tool to one of your existing, it's really no different than using a line tester and seeing the LED light up
>>
>>962688
>>962681
Yeah, the idea was that it could help the sense-impaired by providing an ultrasonic distance sensor, loudness sensor, etc. Nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a vibrating glove really.
>>
>>962668
Honestly I think ideas that come from the DIY community for extensions of human ability often have merit, but the ideas for how to implement that often don't. I'm glad the forums exist, because I like to imagine real prostheticians reading that shit and getting ideas.
>>
>>962675
>It's too early for body hacking to have a good risk:benefit.
This is my feeling as well. What's being done right now simply isn't that useful. It'd be neat to be able to see in the dark or have super-hearing, but we are still a long way from that.

Also concerning OP pic: this is just plain stupid. Taking any ordinary device and trying to sew it under your skin is dumb. The only suitable implantation devices would need to be so tiny that they would not cause any physical issues--such as the RFID tags for pets.
>>
>>962769
Instead of implanting that entire device they could have just put the transducer under the skin and powered it through the skin with induction. It wouldn't need to be any bigger than an RFID tag.
>>
>>962769
RFID's for humans isn't as bad an idea as it sounds either, can have all your medical history on there so that if you need to go to the hospital (and aren't concious) they can just get your details with a quick scan.

Also once heard a story of a man who set up his house with RFID scanners for locks/light switches/etc so all he had to do was wave his hand in front of the door/wall to operate things...sure it's a novelty and isn't worth it right now, but things advance slowly.
>>
>>962748
You can still do cool things like feel the shape of a field which you normally wouldn't be able to visualize.

Think iron filings on a sheet of paper, but you can feel the 3D shape in mid air with your finger.
>>
>>962772
I suggested in class once that it might be an idea for people with implants to have the option of having an RFID chip inserted as a sort of medalert bracelet idea.

People looked at me like I was Dr Mengele and compared it to branding numbers on Jews.

I shit you not the argument went Godwin within the first minute.
>>
>>962775
That's dumb though, people already use medalert bracelets, and nobody cries Hitler about that.
>>
>>962774
it's just a novelty though, one that can be experienced without cutting yourself open.

one of the problems that people have had with the inserts is that they react with your body and can be rejected, as well as broken up inside your skin, the solution that people came up with later is to coat it with gold so its bio-inert, and is still most expensive than the 5 dollar ring.
the guy in the thread with the bandaid is more onto something though, custom fit, removable, able to put on the most sensitive part, no real chance of infection.

the only benefit of it being inside is that you could feel pushes and pulls in all directions instead of just tugs and slight pressure on the skin.

I'm a pretty big transhumanity-fag but there just isn't any practical reason to do minor augs without a much higher technology level, especially when we're able to do all these things without having to do augs.
>>
>>962780
The best way to do the implant would be to implant a tiny Teflon coated magnetic pellet using a large gauge needle, similar to the way RFID tags are implanted now.

If the pellet was gamma sterilised (as most medical devices are) then the risk of infection would be very minimal, pain and damage to surrounding tissue would be minimized (over the open procedure), and healing time would be reduced to almost nothing.

Once the risks (and pain) have been minimised like this, the admittedly minor benefit of being able to sense magnetic fields becomes enticing no?
>>
File: Dog_listening.png (54 KB, 226x226) Image search: [Google]
Dog_listening.png
54 KB, 226x226
>>962783
heres an example you might have an easier time listening to

say I had a screwdriver bit, and I attached it to the end of my finger so I could drive screws without having a screwdriver.
that is the situation that implanting the magnet has, I could just as easily always have a screw driver, or more accurate to what I'm saying, a ring that has the screwdriver on it.
I'd then never have to explain to TSA that there is an implant, I'd never have to worry about MR scanners, there would be no healing time and no initial pain, and if and when I found it inconvenient or uncomfortable I could take off the ring and put it back on after, and it could go on any finger including dominant ones without being in the way
>>
>>962784
If the ring worked as well as the implant - obviously that would be preferable, but doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not suggesting everyone should run out and get one, but for certain people I feel like it could be worth it.
>>
File: magnetic-magic-finger.jpg (27 KB, 463x368) Image search: [Google]
magnetic-magic-finger.jpg
27 KB, 463x368
>>962788
You do realize they make little fingers with magnets in the tip, right? Failing that, you can get some small hobby magnets, and just lacquer them to your fingernails. Then the effect is reversible if need be.
>>
>>962803
now fingernail modifications is something I can get behind
9/10 would do
>>
>>962784
>Get in accident
>need MRI
>The MRI machine rips the magnet right out of your finger
>>
>>962806
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magcraft-Rare-Earth-1-16-in-x-1-32-in-Disc-Magnet-200-Pack-NSN0591/204721289
And get some clear nail polish and glom them on. Or go nuts because you're doing your nails.
With this you could also stick them on your toes and see what's underneath you. Not sure how strong the effect would be though.
Never done this before myself, so if you do it, post results.
>>
>>962809
It would be quite strange for a casualty to go straight to MRI, generally a CT scan is what you want for people with unknown internal injuries.

Additionally it would be unlikely for the magnet to be ripped out of your finger. More likely it would heat up and burn you.
>>
>>962814
>>962809

I looked into this awhile back, several people with the magnetic implants have had MRIs and experienced no problems.
>>
>>962668
That looks infected.
>>
>>962820
Its pretty recent judging by the stitches, looks to be inflammation from the surgery rather than infection. There doesn't look to be any exudate from the wound itself.
>>
>>962708
It can take upwards of six months to start feeling the vibrations
>>
>>962809
They just cover your finger with a lead vest, they do the same thing for any ferrous implants
>>
>>962813
doing it to multiple nails could be interesting, you'd likely get a triangulation effect, like being able to feel the heat around a lightbulb gives the rough shape of the lightbulb
>>
>>962835
Lead doesn't block magnetic fields.
>>
>>962838
It'll take a bit of trial and error to find out how big the magnets have to be to sense a field... ideally small neodymium shards a few mm long would be easy to lacquer to fingernails.
>>
>>962850
the trick I think would be getting sizes that dont interact with eachother annoyingly, causing a twisting and turning feeling of the nail. The lacquer might interfere to a small degree but the size doesn't matter too much as long as its enough to tug or push on the nail slightly, it being a big bulge wouldn't matter much to me.

the most convenient ones I think would be square magnets just a bit smaller than each nail, you'd want them all to affect their own nails about the same amount I think
>>
>>962775
I wonder if they realise the same information and more is tucked into their pocket in the form of a wallet, at least an implant can't be stolen (easily) for identity theft. Hell if I could I'd have all my ID's (bank accounts, drivers licence, TAFE ID, White Card, Medicare Card, whatever the fuck else I have in my wallet) all put onto a small chip in my wrist, would make things much easier.
>>
>>962849
Lead: A metal........ aka faraday cage.
But you are a smart one so you already knew that.
>>
>>962898
Faraday cages block EM radiation, not magnetic fields. Otherwise wrapping a magnet in foil would render it inert.

Electro magnetic waves are not the same as a magnetic field.
>>
I'm part of the community that does 'biohacks' like this and it's the stupidest shit. There's so many great projects that can be done and every single fucking retard is obsessed with the concept of ripping their arms open and shoving LEDs there. You see the OP image? That retard did that for a fucking temperature alert system. That's all it is.
>>
>>962904
So much potential, so little sense.

Unfortunately it's rare for someone with great ideas to also be crazy enough to risk their own body, but that's often where we get the biggest breakthroughs.
>>
>>962668
OPINION : It's dumb asses like you that give the Government the OK to just go ahead and use normal people for guinea pigs. Technology is changing too fast for self mutilation right now . 15 yrs. ago would you have put a vhs player in your belly ?
>>
>>963045
>he didn't jam 8-track players in his thighs during the mid 90's to always have a way to jam

you some kind of faggot?
>>
If it actually interfaced with the human nervous system is some meaningful way it would be cool. But it doesn't. It's just shoving shit under your skin to be a super cool edge lord.

A pace maker is body hacking. Organ transplants are body hacking. Shoving a USB drive in your hand is not fucking body hacking.
>>
>>962668
Why? These people need to be locked up.
>>
>>962772
>RFID's for humans isn't as bad an idea as it sounds either, can have all your medical history on there so that if you need to go to the hospital (and aren't concious) they can just get your details with a quick scan.
Or you could just get a tattoo with a QR code with the same info.
>>
>>962775
Like it or not, a human RFID system is NOT going to fly well, at least in America. The idea flat scares people. For the secular, it's an intrusion on freedom, full stop (yeah, yeah, it might not necessarily be, but that's where minds go FIRST). For the religious, well, Mark of the Beast and all that.
>>
>>963107
Yep what happens if you get hurt right in the part with the QR code in it and the skin is shredded?
>>
>>963183
What happens if you get hurt right in the part with the RFID unit?
>>
>>963126
>Like it or not, a human RFID system is NOT going to fly well, at least in America.
Yeah like having all your communications, acquaintances and general activity easily monitored by the government, that would never fly in america either.
>>
>>963107
You can't change the information in a qr code after the tattoo, unlike with an RFID chip.
>>
>>963244
The qr code should not contain anything other than a pointer to where the actual info is store! You really are a complete and utter moron!
>>
>>963264
QR codes can contain as much text as the QR code is big, not just a link.
>>
>>963284
Yeah but a link would be better...because you can change the information on the page without changing the link, which was the whole point he was making. So a QR code tattoo could store continuously updated information, if it was just text you couldn't change it easily.

>>963107
Some people don't like having a tattoo on their body, and even less people want one of just 'random' squares, a RFID implant is invisible.
>>
>>962700
>At that point it's no worse than a metal splinter,
you know how i can tell you've never had an MRI?
>>
>>962668
Jesus fucking christ, you can't just put some random stuff into you, it will get infected 100% and even if ther wouldn't be any bacteria your body will respond to foreign object that big wih lots of inflammation.
>>
>>963264
>oh golly gee willikers lets just pull this guys medical info off the internet
>oh wait, internet's down, sorry guy, you're going to die

or
>lololol l33t h4xx0rz fukd wit ur infermashunz, u fukd bruh
>>
>>963395
>>963107
>>962772
Holy shit, this is the stupidest thing in the world.

Do you guys not own a cell phone? There's an entire page for medical info that paramedics can access if it's locked, and it's standard enough that they'll check there first instead of fucking searching your body for a QR Code or RFID chip. How are they even going to know if you're in a medical emergency?
>>
>>962672
Pics or didn't happen
>>
>>962668
Rediculous.
Neil Harbisson implanted an antenna INTO HIS MOTHERFUCKING BRAIN.

Now he walks around like he's fucking sophisticated.

Nigga just dumb.

>>pic related
>>
>>962708
This meme needs to fucking die.
>>
>>963578
This is for his color blindness, it helps him see color.
It isnt some weird horse shit.

While its not a life threatening disability he has, it is still an implant that is helping a problem.

Do you hate pace makers and cochlear implants?
>>
>>963578
Neil Harbisson is literally the one person on the planet who did this in a good way.

The dude sees color and can pick up calls from his implant. It's a good thing.
>>
>>963578
Rediculous? Whatcha tickin bot?
>>
Gay
>>
>>963415
Because when you're in a car accident, the EMT's make sure to search your crumpled wreck of a car for your phone too.

The whole point is it's something you don't have to remember to bring with you everywhere, it's invisible, you wouldn't notice it in everyday life, it's hard to break and is reliable. All these things a cellphone isn't.
>>
>>962681
>>962688

held onto a magnet at defcon with someone using a device they built to vibrate the magnet, was real cool. looking into getting an implant this summer in my left ring finger
>>
>>962809
i dont think you understand how the inverse square law works.... the distance would be too far with your arm at your side for there to be an effect. if they scan your torso, you raise your arm above your head
>>
>>963623
If you're in a serious trauma situation like a car crash that's hard enough to break both you and your phone, how are they going to know or have time to check if you've got a shitty RFID chip on your hand?

There's zero practical sense to this. If you're in a bad enough accident that you can't tell them what your blood type is, then you can't tell them to go download an app and then go searching for your chip.

Just admit that you want it for some coolness factor and nothing else.
>>
As an actual cyborg with useful implants, these people are frivolous hobbyists. Most of their implants are just attention grabbers like subdermal LED chips that cannot even be recharged without additional surgery. Also a magnet in your finger is an implant but iisn't cybernetics, as there is nothing electronic in it.
>>
>>963631
Is plasticine bone lacing worth it or should I save up for titanium?
>>
>>963639
Is bone lacing a thing now?
>>
>>963630
Imagine this. You're in a car accident, they do an X-ray and see you have an implant. They want to know the exact model serial number and date of implantation.

They can see an RFID chip next to it/inside it on the X-ray, so they grab the RFID reader and get that information immediately.
>>
>>963630
You're a moron, I never said I want one NOW it's stupid to do this shit now because there is no standardised system in place.

I've been arguing with you under the assumption you knew I meant this would be in a time and place where everyone (or at least the majority) of people had these implants. Who the fuck would get one now? That's just stupid
>>
>>963803
No, jesus christ. I thought you were one of the massive retards putting them in now with the assumption it'll be done. Like >>963739

There's entire groups full of these mongoloids. Didn't you know that?
>>
>>963816
The only retard here is you.

If they start putting RFID chips inside the implants, obviously medical staff will have procedures to read them.
>>
>>963826
Inside what implants, retard? You realize there are people who just put RFID and NFC chips into their bodies as standalones, right?
>>
>>963829
You called out >>963739 they were talking about RFID inside implants. You lack reading comprehension.
>>
>>963832
This entire conversation is about standalone RFID implants. Give me one single implant that's available today with an RFID chip in it. Talking about "implants with RFID in them" is moot.
>>
>>962668
It's like anal masturbation with gigantic custom dildo: if you properly know your physiology/limitation follow compliance hygiene/asepsis norm, then there is nothing bad you can simply enjoy it but if don't, something will happen.
>>
/gg/
>>
>>962815
>putting a magnet in a giant magnet
>no problems
nice research
>>
>>962668

I want to be able to go to the tattoo shop and get a titanium coated neodymium ring in my finger
>>
>>962668
I think bio-hacking could be something great. I don't know about the DIY part, unless you have actual experience.
It's your freaking body, you don't want to fuck it up.
>>
>>963628
>looking into getting an implant this summer in my left ring finger
Me too. Have you found a place that does it yet?
>>
>>962668

I want 2 magnets implanted in my left hand so I can feel magnetic fields.

I want an RFID tag implanted in my right hand so I can unlock my front door, pc, and phone. I'd like to use it for my car door and ignition as well.

I'd like an automated defibrillator implant, as dying from a heart attack would suck.

I'd like the ability to sense magnetic north, but have not found an internal technology that can do it.

I very much want the implant that allows me, a male, to choose to be sterile at the flick of a reversible switch.

I'd like the ability to pay for purchases via a NFC implant. I'd also like to be able to pay with cash too, because government paranoia.

I'd like an implant that permits audio that only I can hear. (bone conduction?)

I'd like the ability to see a significantly larger piece of the electromagnetic spectrum. Recording would be fantastic. Optical zoom, adjustment for excessive brightness, and getting rid of the damn floaters in my eyes would be nice too.

Bring it on, body modders. I'm ready, willing, and waiting.
>>
>>963899

I'll believe people who have done it over your ignorant guessing, thanks.
>>
I think it depends on if the result is going to be an advancement to the field of medicine, biology, technology, etc.

There are many scientists in the past who have self-experimented to achieve good results. But putting a magnet in yourself to "detect magnetic fields" is dumb.
>>
File: 20160310_203815.jpg (3 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20160310_203815.jpg
3 MB, 2988x5312
Got myself implanted an NFC chip a month ago.
I look forward for small-sized implants that can do more stuffs.
>>
>>964217
the mark of the beast
>>
>>964217
spider
>>
>>962668
Profoundly stupid.
>>
>>962708
if you go anywhere near a ferrous metal you wont be able to leave it if that is a real neodinium mag
>>
>>964382
It does stick to metal, but it's pretty easy to pull it off - it doesn't hurt or anything.

And yes, it is a real neodymium magnet - steel magnets don't shatter like that.
>>
>>962668
> body cracking
>>
>>962898
>so smug yet so ignorant
plz go back to the shithole you crawled from
>>
>>964203
False.
Nobody who gets a cochlear implant turned on says "this hearing shit is dumb. Turn it off"

Once you have an extra sense you can never go back. My dreams even include the new sense.
>>
Cyborg here. All of you naysayers are going to mumble in August. The lovetron9000 is cumming. It's going to take your womenfolk!
>>
>>963063

>A pace maker is body hacking. Organ transplants are body hacking. Shoving a USB drive in your hand is not fucking body hacking.

This needs to be said.
>>
>>962675
Chris?
>>
>What do you think of DIY body hacking?

That's no hack, you just put a brick in your limb
>>
>>965645
But you have to hack yourself open to put it in
>>
>>962675
How is sensing electrical and magnetic fields useful? Not trying to be condescending, just curious.
>>
>>965636
It was.
>>
>>962675
I'm intrqiued truly but what if the risk of metal detectors and MRI? I'd be fearful a magnet under my skin would come flying out quite easily but I don't know shit
>>
>>965707
Contractors/electrical engineers can use it as a spidey-sense that prevents them from electrocuting themselves. I also read a story about a guy who diagnosed a problem with his car because he could feel that a piston wasn't firing or something. That one might be some percent bullshit, though.
>>
I seen this shit on total recall, it was a bit thinner
>>
>>962675

Would the magnet be a weak one? In that case, wouldn't it's practicality be offset by its weakness? And if it were a decent magnet (i.e. Neodymium), wouldn't it tear off the skin/flesh of the finger if any contact is made with another metal, ESPECIALLY a magnet? Just curious.
>>
>>963629
>i dont think you understand how the inverse square law works.... the distance would be too far with your arm at your side for there to be an effect. if they scan your torso, you raise your arm above your head
I don't think you understand how strong the magnets in an MRI machine have to be.
>>
>>964188
>I'd like the ability to see a significantly larger piece of the electromagnetic spectrum. Recording would be fantastic. Optical zoom, adjustment for excessive brightness, and getting rid of the damn floaters in my eyes would be nice too.
My nigger.
>>
>>966720
>>965707

I'd love to be able to do this. We do a lot of prototyping at my work, and if I could just sweep my hands over a circuit & get a feel for what's powered & what isn't, or pinch a wire between my fingers to sense whether a signal is passing through, would be incredible.

I'm mid-40s and probably won't get to really make use of implants, but I'd be first in line to swap out my key ring & wallet full of cards in exchange for a couple brain-pattern-activated fingertip IDs.
>>
>>964188
>I very much want the implant that allows me, a male, to choose to be sterile at the flick of a reversible switch.
this exists
>>
>>965707

The magnet thing's a real game changer.

You're working on a light fixture. You reach in to connect the ground and you jump back like you've been bit: Some chucklefuck pulled the fucking lockout tag. Instead of going to the hospital, you're going downstairs to ream the guy a new asshole.

Computer stops charging, wave your hand over your charger and know you've been unplugged.

Run your hand over the wall and feel for metal studs or Plaster/Lathe nail-rows.

Hell, you even kinda get a sixth sense about material in hand; Irons feel different under the magnet, and obviously anything that's not ferrous or magnetic doesn't react.
>>
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/vest-translates-sound-into-vibration-for-the-hearing-impaired/

This can't be too hard to pull off.
>>
>>967793
>Computer stops charging, wave your hand over your charger and know you've been unplugged.
at that point couldn't you just see that it's been unplugged?
>>
>>967886
At that point, couldn't you hold your ear really close to the charger to listen for the 60/50Hz hum?
>>
>>966785
They're not powerful enough to get "stuck" to objects, but you can still feel fine because it's so close to your nerves.
People typically use a small (3mm) neodymium magnet. Touching a rare earth magnet would be bad, but most people seem to have no problem picking up small objects or magnets. You just have to be careful not to let the magnet stay connected to anything for too long, or your skin will get pinched and you risk rejecting the implant.
>>
i wear glasses, so uh... cool?
>>
>>964534
That's fine, robot waifus are on the horizon. Give it 10 years and nobody'll need women again.
>>
>>963631
i call BS every good cyborg knows that you never put batteries beneath the skin transcutaneous power transfer only. batteries fail and every time they do it means surgery.
>>
>>964188
southpaw can be bio proofed and implanted as long as you remove battery and use alternate means to power it
>>
>>968915
>i call BS every good cyborg knows that you never put batteries beneath the skin transcutaneous power transfer only. batteries fail and every time they do it means surgery.
Batteries should be fine as long as you can remotely charge them like you can with phones.
>>
>>968948
Bertstare.

Batteries are a consumable good. The very best most perfectly maintained batteries only lasts 10 years.

>batteries, not blood atp pumps
>not nuclear
>>
>>968951
even 5y per minor surgery isn't too bad.
>>
>>963631
The word cybernetics has exactly zero to do with whether or not something is electronic, look shit up before you try to sound like you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>968996
>surgery every 5 years
>not bad

Surgery is one of those things where you never ever want to have it done if you don't have to. One every five years is begging for something to go wrong.
>>
>>969083
But it's not major surgery, it can literally be performed by an unqualified pleb without incident as long as you have access to something to sanitise shit and some antibiotics.

It's not like you're opening up your abdomen and attaching a fake penis to your intestinal tract. You're just cutting a simple line through the skin, not even to under muscle, and stitching it back up. As simple as surgery gets really.
>>
>>962675
all good until you have to take an MRI
>>
>>963578
>fixed his color blindness
>dat tie.
>looks like a teletubby

Still, props.
>>
>>969077

I already knew that, thanks. Nevertheless calling yourself a cyborg because there's a magnet in your pinky is just a wee bit of an exaggeration.
>>
>>969761

Several people who have had magnetic implants have had MRIs, no real issues. A few of them mentioned it twitched and felt odd.
>>
>>969993
I doubt that, all magnetic implants get torn out.
>>
>>969993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg

They are lying or their body must have absorbed the magnets and the only magnetic sense they have any more must be psychosomatic.
>>
>>964197
Do you even have a GED?
>guis I saw dis thing on da interwebz and I sware itz true. The medfag shilz are lying wen they say to remov al da metal from your body in an MRI!!! REEEEEE
>>
>>967888
Them trips. Truth trips, I'll say.
>>
>>962700
>The danger in an MRI would be burning your fingertip, not tearing off your arm like some final destination movie.
MRI tear your "magnet" out from your body.
>>
This was probably one of the cooler *dumb* threads I've seen in a while. Would honestly look into adhering magnets on my fingernails just for shits and giggles.

But seriously all of you chucklefucks arguing about MR scans are funny. Calm down.
>>
>>971501
>>970618
>>970006
>>970003

wewlads, it's fucking nothing.

>But da internets told me otherwise! A big metal office chair is the same as a small magnet! r-right?

http://stevehaworth.com/main/?page_id=871

https://www.reddit.com/comments/tl7pn/iama_24yo_electrical_engineer_with_magnets/

http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/1170/mri-implant-safety/p1

>Originally it was thought that the magnets would always rip out of the skin and attach themselves to the MRI.

>However, we now know of a few people who have the magnets have gone through MRIs and this did not happen. One person reported that the magnet just vibrated very strongly. Another person reported that the techs shielded his hand, as they would with someone who had shrapnel or other implants.

>However, there are several different types of MRIs, so we can make no guarantee of what will happen during your MRI, so you must discuss it with the technician.

>It is likely that they will give you a hard time about it, so you should be prepared for this and for any possible risks to yourself. It’s also possible that the MRI might demagnetize your magnet.
>>
>>962668
I think we are impatient and are trying to skip a huge development step. EXO bionics. Tech on the outside worked down into temp tattoo and sticker sizes. Then incorporate it into our bodies.
We just aint there yet.
>>
Biohacker here. I mean I guess I'm biased but i'm all for this. That said, i find some areas of biohacking to be really boring. Like the quantified self guys who are obsessed with measuring their intake of everything and the ideal way to eat a sandwich are super boring to me. I'm more on the biological modification and implantable side of things. I did the whole magnet thing at one point. It was very cool, great experience but I'm not overwhelmingly excited to do it again. It gets in the way a lot and the healing time is a nightmare. Also, as mods go, it's pretty boring. Like to your average person it sounds incredible, and there was a time I was super gung ho for it, but now I'm bored of it. Can only read so many things about the magnets before they get old. Now I'm looking into the next gen of implantables. Forget rfid or some boring temperature monitoring system, I'm looking at ways to directly interface with nerves and feed them an artificial signal or transmit their signals to next gen prosthesis or exosuits. And transdermal implants which get around the whole wireless connection issue amongst other things. I'd really like to tinker with genetic modification but the lab needed for that sort of work is oppressively expensive. For now I'm biding my time making nanobots and the building blocks to bigger and more exciting projects.

tl:dr biohacking can be cool but most people are boring and do boring things in an exciting field.
>>
>>963045

I have an iPod nano inserted in my anus as we speak bro, get on with the times
>>
>>972652
>directly interface with nerves
That reminds me, I wonder what will happen first, being able to directly interface with nerves, or actually fix/regrow busted ones
Fuck
>>
>>972823
>being able to directly interface with nerves
Well this is already possible. Check our a professor Warwick's experiment with letting his arm be controlled by his wife's arm over the internet.
>>
>>972652

What implants do you currently have?
>>
>>963630
I like how retards think that if RFIDs were commonplace in medical use, EMTs would have to download apps for it onto their phone instead of having a dedicated scanner.
>>
>>963623
paramedic here. no, we absolutely do not. If you're unconscious or in any serious condition we stabilize you and haul your ass to the hospital. We'll check your pockets and that's about it. Finding you phone is the police's job, or sometimes we'll assign it to one of the fire fighters.

As nice as the RFID thing sounds it wouldn't be practical unless it became common place. And you'd have to make sure the scanners were damn near indestructible if you want them to last more than 10 minutes.
>>
At this rate with all tech becoming obsolete within a year, fuck biohacking. If you want to have the surgery done professionally, you better be a millionaire or some shit. Until there's an efficient way to suck consumers dry with biohack products and surgery that's affordable, sticking a stupid magnet in your finger or a vibrator up your ass is as good as it'll get.
>>
File: BetteringMyself.png (156 KB, 436x408) Image search: [Google]
BetteringMyself.png
156 KB, 436x408
>>962668
I used a RaspberryPi!
>>
>>973043
... Why? Why is there a massive fucking box implanted under the skin?

The Northstar V1 implant he has in his hand is only the size of a coin. The box on his arm appears photoshoped (especially the wound), though I'm not sure what the point of the shop is.
>>
>>972998
You check for DNR/Medalert bracelets right? If RFIDs became commonplace I'm sure that reading it would be added to the procedures.

Even if you guys don't read them, we can scan it when they arrive. There's still plenty of information that it would be useful to know about a patient who arrives unconscious in EC without any identification.
>>
>>973103
It is 200% shooped, you can see the stretched pixels (I've seen quite a few shoops in my time etc)

Not to mention the cable is just a brush line with a bevel and emboss layer effect on it.

The point of it is to make it seem like these diy body mod idiots seem like idiots ("look at this moron, he put a big box under his arm so his hand lights up, and it has to have the power cable hanging out") but that's not even needed because having the glowing hand thing to begin with is retarded.
>>
>>972998
Yeah, not sure how well it came across but I was being sarcastic that you'd search for the phone in their car. It also occurred to me later in the thread that we weren't all arguing with the assumption that these RFID implants would only be good if it was all common place and everyone (or the majority at least) had one. having one in this day and age is rather pointless as it's something that wouldn't be searched for.

It would have to be quite hardy, after all if a crash is hard enough to break your body it could break the chip, might be better to have it in a soft area of your body, like your thigh or ass? I dunno really.
>>
File: 1459630477864-v.png (6 KB, 366x286) Image search: [Google]
1459630477864-v.png
6 KB, 366x286
>>970006
>their body must have absorbed the magnets
>>
File: 6689810-3x2-340x227.jpg (8 KB, 340x227) Image search: [Google]
6689810-3x2-340x227.jpg
8 KB, 340x227
cutting edge stuff
this guy grew an ear on his arm and is going to stream what it hears online
>>
>>963284
>code links to a late 90s Geocities page
>404 not found
>fuck
>>
>>966862
This.

It's called abstinence, you G-dless degenerates.
>>
>>964188

This is real.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/01/sperm-off-switch-may-offer-men-reversible-contraceptive/
>>
>>973349
Abstinence doesn't work, as evidenced by the absurdly high teen mom rate of the southern states vs the rest of the union.

Go thump your bible somewhere else.
>>
>>973380
>Abstinence doesn't work, as evidenced by the virgin Mary

Fixed that for you
>>
>>962771
This is how many current generation medical implants work, such as pacemakers, AID's, cochlear and some experimental internal insulin pumps ("artificial pancreas") work.
>>
>>963739
>>963816
>>963826
RFID already has a medical standard that is pretty common. In most implants they already use RFID as a backup, but something similar to other datalinks like WIFI to communicate and change settings in pacemakers and AID's.

As someone with a lifelong medical condition that is relevant in an emergency, I got a tattoo instead of being a biofaggot who is trying to reinvent the wheel.
RFID would be great for med-alert applications, considering you could get all of the hundreds of EMS providers to carry the system.
>>
>>966720
That magnet would actually make it easier to be electrocuted.

Also misfires make a car vibrate like fucking crazy, since engines are designed to counterbalance the force of the explosions and rotation in the engine.
>>
>>962668 This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, and I've seen some stupid. What is your IQ? 12? Seriously! I get tattoos, some piercings, and getting high. But this. This takes the retard cake.
>>
>>962772
Implanting a chip in someone? Are you really thinking that is a great idea?

Ok. Go get your chip. I will be the jack ass over there getting ready to brush past you. Also, let's not forget about the little scanner that's hidden in my jacket. I might also remove the speaker in the scanner as to not have an audibal alert that the scan had been completed.

Also. The Bible tells us not to except any markings. So, I'm not going to let them tag me like a dog.
>>
>>973521
Ken ham pls go.
>>
>>972966
I've got an RFID but only for the novelty. Had a magnet, but took it out since I work with large magnets now and it was in a bad spot. Gimme a few years and I'll have some techno-organic implants ready for use. Already halfway there, just need to work out a few more pieces.
>>
>>973164
>>973103
it's not shopped, it was actually that big. took forever to heal because of that and he had to drain it a bunch of times cause the cavity would fill with fluid until it sorta healed. Same with the northstars. they're actually just fucking huge.
>>
>>973521
kek good luck with that. the read distance on those chips is maybe a milimeter or 2. with the next chips coming out that's gone up to maybe an inch. And you can encrypt them. So no, your scanner won't do shit.

Also your book also tells you not to mix fabrics or shave the corners of your beard. Either follow the whole book, or don't cherry pick. This same logic would apply to tattoos and piercings, and they're awesome. so meh.
>>
>>973550
Dude, if you're going to troll at least make it believable. Your comment sounds kinda reasonable, but that photo is one of the most obvious shops that anyone has ever tried to pass off as real.
>>
>>973521
So what? Who cares if you can find out of someone's diabetic, or has a heart condition?
>>
File: IMG_20160407_184107.jpg (468 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_184107.jpg
468 KB, 2688x1520
>>962675
You can do a local anesthetic with lidocaine fairly simply

>>962708
That's not a very accurate simulation and I doubt that you'll experience anything more than annoyance at a bandage that keeps falling off

>>962748
Unlike a tool you can't stop using an implant. As such your brain's nueroplasticity will over time stop recognizing the sensation as a separate tool, but rather an extension of itself. You have to intentionally think about using a line tester, it's not a passive feedback of information.

>>962769
A lot of the community is doing proof of concept experimentation, testing various bio-coatings, working on solutions to the transdermal issue, power management issues, etc. If I remember correctly the device posted by the OP was never meant to be anything more than a short term implant to see what kinds of medical data an implanted device could read from a person's body. These things aren't often meant to be consumer products, or even "alpha" tests of final devices.

>>962780
You haven't even seen the prices on the diamond coated magnets out for trial, shit's expensive, but in theory may be the most durable and least reactive coating developed yet.

>>962784
MRI's aren't a problem, nor are security checkpoints. I've literally been in jail without anyone discovering I had any kind of implants installed. The only time it may come up is if you need to get an X-ray of your hand for some reason.

>>964217
Get yours in ATX?

>>970006
Not enough mass in the magnet, and your body over time "grows" around the magnet, keeping it in place.

TLDR This shit isn't very dangerous. It's a good reason to actually learn something about your own body. It's also not some glorious "revolutionary" field that's making giant leaps and bounds in scientific advancement. It's a bunch of mostly competent chucklefucks playing around with their insides to see what they can learn. Also. fuck quantified self/nootropics/calling healthy dieting "hacking" people.
>>
>>974492
>This shit isn't very dangerous.
If you keep shit REALLY clean.
An infection from an implant can easily turn into sepsis if not treated properly.
>>
>>973521
I've already got my bank card in my wallet that can be scanned to steal my shit. It's the same thing just one can't be physically stolen/lost.

>Also. The Bible tells us

Oh it's a troll, alright then.
>>
>>974547
Buy sterilized instruments
Ensure there are no deficiencies in their seals
Wash up
Find a suitable operating room, preferably in a room with few fabrics, bathrooms and kitchens work well
Cut off airflow to your operating room as best as possible
Scrub down your OR
Wash your hands again
Prep your sterile field and lay out your instruments
Mark your incisions
Do whatever operation you need to
Close your incisions with a proper suture
Irrigate the site with sterile saline and wipe dry
Apply Triple anti-baterical ointment + bandaging
Keep sutures dry and re-dress the site daily and whenever the bandaging becomes wet/soiled
Remove sutures after 5-10 days

This is like basic first aid and common sense.
Cleanliness isn't the big danger. The real danger is operational mistakes. Cutting too deep with a scalpel or nicking a nerve. Not aspirating your syringe before injecting anesthetic. Not knowing how to do a proper suture BEFORE cutting yourself open. Not having someone around as an assistant, or at least to drive you to an ER/call 911 if needed.

For some reason there are folks that don't take the time to practice the needed skills beforehand, and they fuck up because of it.
>>
>>975080
Yeah, but something that you really have to know what you're doing like that is pretty dangerous for most people. Anon plays it off like it's changing oil or dealing with dilute HCL(aq).

It's like when Ben Krasnow said "hydrofluoric acid isn't really all that dangerous." in his cleaning video.
>>
>>975104
>"hydrofluoric acid isn't that dangerous"
He's full of shit.
>>
>>975196
>that's my point
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.