[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
grain sterilizer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12
File: Autoclave 5 Aerospace.jpg (24 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
Autoclave 5 Aerospace.jpg
24 KB, 251x189
so I am trying to set up a business selling grainspawn bags. I can do small runs of like two bags at a time in my cheap 9L pressure cooker. each batch takes about 3 hours of work. now to move up in production capacity, I need a larger pressure vessel. the all american pressure cookers cost about 1000$ to get shipped to australia. and they're about 40quarts at the biggest. so I could run like 5 of them at a time but that's a really expensive way to do it. is there a way that I could make a pressure vessel of my own that could stand up to at least 15psi repeatedly and be at least 100L?

I was thinking about just using a wide diameter piece of pressure pipe with flanges and drilling in a hose to connect to a boiler to introduce steam under pressure.

the thing is that making up 100 bags would take about an extra half hour to the 3 hour production run for what I get from about 4L of hydrated grain which is all I can safely fit in bags in my current pressure cooker.
>>
I suggest you check with a fabrication shop about making a custom vessel. Also look for industrial vessel designs to copy.

Visit welding and machinist forums to find someone local who might want the job.

You should study commercial units and CAD up what you want.
>>
>>962288
actually i just found this on roger rabbits comercial webpage.
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/55-Gallon-Drum-Sterilizer

apparently he just cooks his grain at 2psi for 8 hours.
>>
a modified gas tank could do it. maybe the ones they use for propane, you'd have to cut it open and find a way to open and seal it at will though
>>
Purchase a used autoclave. Mine at work could fit a person inside and for a real sterilization of hazardous materials it only takes an hour.
>>
File: $_20.jpg (25 KB, 338x600) Image search: [Google]
$_20.jpg
25 KB, 338x600
>>962481
heh, I found one for $200
>>
File: euroklav_23S-250x250.jpg (42 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
euroklav_23S-250x250.jpg
42 KB, 250x250
>>962620
yeah that's because it's completely useless.
they're selling it for less than the cost of servicing it. that's a very old machine. also the capacity is tiny. I can do more in my pressure cooker right now. also typo my 80$ pressure cooker is 19L while pic related is 22L. so not really much of an upgrade. looking at upgrading capacity.

>>962481
I am a poorfag. hence why I am growing oyster mushrooms, not flying by private jet to bolivia for cocaine and cocaine related accessories.

even used ones cost upwards of 2000$ of any reasonable size.

I think i might look into buying some barrels.
>>
15 psi isn't particularly high, you could just weld something up yourself as long as you put a safety/pressure relief valve on it
>>
File: steam burns.png (2 MB, 642x3789) Image search: [Google]
steam burns.png
2 MB, 642x3789
>>962627
15psi is a ridiculous amount of pressure.
I think you misunderstand how much pressure that is. you might be confused by the idea of a turbocharger running at 15psi being meh. so what? 1.5 atmospheres? why would that matter?

you're talking about 2 thousand of pounds of force hitting you in the face if you happen to be standing infront of a 44gallon pressure vessel when a fixing or seal pops and throws it in your face. not to mention we are talking about pressurized steam here.
>>
>>962631
tires are twice that and you can stab one without a problem
>>
File: 1456350175622.jpg (61 KB, 406x480) Image search: [Google]
1456350175622.jpg
61 KB, 406x480
>>962945
Because tires are full of pressurized steam and fracture and explode like metal right?

Fucking retard.

Material like rubber with steel mesh gets dangerous at higher pressures. Go stab a semi-truck tire and come back and type out how it went for you with the stumps that used to be your hands.

Jesus Christ people are so fucking stupid on this board sometimes.
>>
File: NikoBellic.jpg (42 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
NikoBellic.jpg
42 KB, 500x502
>>962949
semi tires are over 100 psi you fucking cuck
>rubber with pressure isn't dangerous
>go stab rubber and get hurt to prove I'm right
you cant even go a sentence without contradicting yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 400x570) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 400x570
>>962952
My point is rubber tires have to be at a higher pressure to be dangerous due to the nature of the material you dumb fuck.

15 psi in a metal tube is much more dangerous than 15 psi in a tire. I'm not contradicting anything you fuckimg idoit.

Saying you can stab a ture and be safe is stupid. Breaking a open a 10 to 20 psi metal canister is as dangerous as stabbing a semi truck tire at 100 psi
>>
>>962996
Also enjoy my typos bitch, they make me sound as retarded as you
>>
>>962620
If you get that you'll have just purchased a $200 boat anchor...
If you really want a medical grade sterilizer that has more capacity than a pressure cooker, look for a marketforge or a Pelton & Crane magnaclave. Both are old but common enough to have third party parts available. The magnaclave is larger and significantly better quality, but of course more expensive and practically impossible to work on without any prior experience on sterilizers. The marketforge is more common as some models are used in commercial kitchens, and is simple enough that with a little research you could probably perform most repairs, but they really are pieces of shit. And if you do find either of them at a good price, don't forget to factor in the cost of renting a box truck with a lift gate.
>>
Also most medical steam sterilizers aim for ~270°f and 30psi
>>
>>962631
I work with air tanks and pneumatic systems all day. Yeah its a lot of air, but 15psi isn't huge pressure
>>
>>962949
Semi truck tyre is 110psi, a lot more than what OP is talking about using
>>
Look up iotron industries they already do a ton of sterilization of grain and foods mostly for lab animals(they do other stuff as well). Compared to their technology your idea is basically the horse and buggy, maybe even worse.
>>
>>963123
yah. i mean I buy fuel injection line rated for 400psi because the next step down is 50psi carby hose. but you still wouldnt want to be near a steam pipe filled with steam even at 1psi
>>
>>963134
>iotron industries
yeah I looked into gamma sterilization but i'm not entirely sure that owning a cobalt-60 source is entirely legal. of course i could process bags in 30 seconds with a gamma source. wanna hook me up, israel? I promise to only make dirty bombs for you ^.^

their electron beam technology is only for sanitation. it can't penetrate and kill endospores in grain unfortunately.

wet steam sterilization is unfortunately the best available technology short of dropping 50million dollars on a plant.
>>
>>963156
>yeah I looked into gamma sterilization

If you can't weld up something that can take 15 psi you probably shouldn't be around radiation
>>
>>963159
yah but I can buy barrels that will work for 20$ on a 8 hour/2psi cycle.
avoiding buying a welder just because it would be extremely expensive.
>>
>>963124
And the retardation continues
>>
>>963164
You don't need to buy a welder. You just need to put an add on your countries version of Craigslist.
>>
>>963164
>yah but I can buy barrels that will work for 20$ on a 8 hour/2psi cycle.

Then why did you make this thread?
>>
>>963609
Maybe he was told about it IN this thread.
>>
>>962996
No its not. Fuel lines are usually at 50 psi and they are metal. When they bust all they do is spray fuel everywhere until the pressure is gone.
You have no clue what you are talking about. You're just some kid on an anonymous image board that thinks hes smart, and your not.
>>
>>962631
Hate to say it, but that guy looks a bit slow.
>>
File: 108-testicular-cancer.gif (28 KB, 640x265) Image search: [Google]
108-testicular-cancer.gif
28 KB, 640x265
>>963609
I would like to hear ideas. ideas that do not involve ball cancer.

>>963792
>there's no such thing as rubber fuel line
>>
File: whatisfuelinjection.jpg (112 KB, 634x673) Image search: [Google]
whatisfuelinjection.jpg
112 KB, 634x673
>>963792
>225psi working pressure
why would they make rubber fuel line rated up to that pressure mr. smarty pants?
>>
>>963817
Why are power cords rated to 600+ Volts? Safety overhead.
>>
>>963792
Please stick to air pressure, not hydraulic pressure my friend. A 50 or even 1000psi hydraulic problem isn't nearly as exciting as a 25psi air tank or balloon.
>>
>>963834
the overhead is rated at 400psi on those hoses.
225 is the continuous load.
also electrical cable and fittings are rated to 1000V in australia.
>>
>>963906
also this. a tiny pressurized system like a fuel rail and hoses with a total volume of maybe 500ml at 50psi isnt going to ruin anyones day unless they stick their finger over an injector port. as opposed to even 15psi of pressure in a 160L drum.

I mean, whats a leaky fuel hose going to do? make your eyes sting a little? that guy who forced the lid off the pressure cooker got smashed in the head by the lid being shot off even on a little one.
>>
>>963921
His biggest problem was the superheated steam... which is exactly what OP will have in his drums.
>>
>>963814
>>there's no such thing as rubber fuel line
There is also nylon fuel lines, that are commonly used in combination with metal lines. Ive got a 10' roll of nylon fuel line sitting right next to me.
I was talking about the metal fuel lines because that anon was being a stupid shit saying that metal was magically explosive.

>>963817
>for use in all fuel systems

>>963906
whats your point?
>>
>>963927
You can pretty easily fabricate a vessel using standard plumbing components.

However, you must do the following:
>use only pressure-rated components and fittings
>use a safety valve designed for steam, with no isolation valve that can disable it
>perform a hydrostatic test well above the operating pressure before using it
>include a pressure gauge
>keep well clear while the vessel is under pressure
>>
>>962631
you're retarded. if your house is up to code, the water pressure is 19psi. do your showers hurt?
>>
>>964102
Fucking hydraulics vs pneumatics. IP is working on a pneumatic vessel. The safety concerns are much different.
>>
>>964102
Pressure in a liquid (and note that once the water leaves the tap, its pressure is converted entirely into velocity) is not the same as pressure in a gas.

Liquids are incompressible, and pressure in a liquid system is due to the elasticity of the piping and the pressure exerted by the pump. When the pressure is allowed to escape, little energy is released. Gases, being compressible, have potential energy due to pressure. When a gas-containing system fails, the gas rapidly expands as it goes to atmospheric pressure, releasing a huge amount of energy and potentially causing an explosion.
>>
>>964107
>>964109
today i learned.
>>
>>964111
Think about popping a water balloon vs an air balloon. The air rapidly expands and creates a loud bang, but sticking a pin into a water balloon just dumps its contents on the floor.
>>
>>962288
Without reading anything in your thread other than your original post OP, I would say for $1000 AUD you should be able to get some pressure vessels from a scrapper for a lot cheaper. Anything that was used as a medical compressor, or gas tank for anything non-toxic (oxy, nitrogen, ect). The only problem I could see would be the wall thickness making machining a pain and possibly hinder heating/cooling times.
>>
this is HVAC guys time to shine
is a MERV 16 filter good enough to prevent trichoderma infestation of substrate? if i want to do grain to grain transfer, what is the minimum recommended filter for a laminar flow hood?

various mushroom supply places sell filters for 1000$+ but I can get a MERV16 furnace filter for 150$.

I mean, I'm not sure if it's airborne or not. in the way that influenza is not an airborne virus. you can only catch it by breathing someone elses micronized spit when they sneeze. it requires water dropplets to anchor to.
>>
What about the pressure water tank, used in home water supply installations, they withstand pretty high pressures
>>
>>964229
they're not really able to be opened to handle 4lb bags of grain and would need to be steel.
>>
>>963203

15 psi is 1.02069 atmospheres you fucking dipshit faggot. You know what the pressure is outside? Oh waits its 1 atmosphere. A soda can at room temperature is 36 psi. But oh no everybody, metal will deform and explode and blow your face off at 15 psi. Jesus, you do realize that atmospheric pressure is 14.69 psi right?

I can't believe someone as profoundly retarded as you is capable of being so fucking ignorant on the internet.
>>
File: relativity.jpg (58 KB, 962x541) Image search: [Google]
relativity.jpg
58 KB, 962x541
>>964233
>lel
somebody doesnt understand relative vs absolute
>brb pressurizing my room to 14.6959psi
>>
>>964233
15psi in a container is relative to atmospheric pressure retard.

15psi is 2 atmospheres.

You think an autoclave runs at 1.02 atmospheres?
>>
>>964235
>>964234

Wow which is 30 psi absolute, which is the pressure in a soda can made out of thin as fuck aluminum. How many people lose their hands to soda cans every year?
>>
>>964237
Soda cans aren't filled with superheated steam. If they were, people would have severe burns when they exploded.

Soda cans are also designed with a concave plate in the bottom which will pop outwards and avoid the can failing catastrophically and spraying shrapnel everywhere.

When you see a soda can 'explode' it's usually just a pinhole leak from being dropped, not a failure caused by pressure.
>>
>>964237
again, this is pressurized liquid. the bubbles are just gas dissolved in the liquid with maybe 5 cc of space left at the top. yah I've let down tyres before. even gas at 15psi isnt dangerous. it gets dangerous if 160 liters of steam suddenly depressurizes and expands out of the pressure vessel engulfing your body.
>>
>>964238

So it's not so much an issue of pressure as an issue of contents. Because standard party balloons also get close to 2 atm abs and when they pop its not a big deal. Same with bike tires.

I think the whole argument up to this point was that 15psi gauge is not that dangerous, its what inside that matters, and steam is already dangerous by nature of being hot as shit
>>
Two suggestions for a chamber.
-1: A diving SCUBA tank. You can get de-certified ones from a diving supply store.
-2; Welding gas cylinders. Also get the de-certified ones from a welding supply shop.
larger sizes are available on this front.
Cut enough of the top end of the dome to add a sealing surface to each portion. then add hinges, dog downs, and plumbing to the outside and slide rails and storage bins to the inside.
These are better able to withstand pressures than air compressor tanks.
>>
File: 1436931082839.png (454 KB, 396x435) Image search: [Google]
1436931082839.png
454 KB, 396x435
>>964237
>>964233
Again, the retardation continues.

You're probably the kind of person to weld on a sealed drum that used to have acetone, alcohol, or gasoline in it without filling it water, sand, or at least inert gas.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.