[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey chan. I'm building a rolling closet using a 2x10x8 for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey chan. I'm building a rolling closet using a 2x10x8 for the bottom and top, and a 2x8x8 for each of the sides. Just a basic rectangular box. I'm going to mount a closet bar to the inside of the 2x8x8s to hang clothes inside.

When screwing the top piece of wood to the side pieces, do I just sit the wood on top and screw through the top for the best support, or do I place the wood inside flush with the tops of the side pieces and screw through the side for the most support for the bar?
>>
>>961901
Super overbuilt. Wasting lots of money. This is what happening when framers think they can be cabinetmakers. Putting the wood on top and screwing down is stronger but its going to be ugly as fuck. Miter joints are your friend. Next time ask us where to begin because you have purchased framing timber for cabinetry and wasted a bunch of money on the wrong materials for the job.
>>
>>961901
You'd want to have the top member on top of the side members. Think about the shear force you'd put on the screws if you did it the other way around.
I'd put a rabbet on the side members and rest the top piece in the rabbet then glue and screw.

Build the box on the ground and make sure everything is square. Plywood on the back will keep it square once you have the box built.

Personally I think the lumber you have is way overkill but it's your project. Any plans for doors to keep dust out?
>>
>>961915
>over built
He's talking about butt joints and screwing into end grain, nothing about this says over built to me. Also, while a miter may appear nicer I wouldn't use it as a joint that may be put under stress, which these ones will due to the way they'll be positioned.

Since you've already committed to this op, get a 2x2 and use it as a brace in each inside corner. It'll be ugly but it'll be the easiest and cheapest way to make it stable. Orientate it that you can screw through the face grain of the outside board into the face grain of the 2x2. If you just screw into the end grain of the outside board it'll work its way out.

A rabbet and glue would be nice, but it may be out of your skill set. If you feel comfortable you can pull it off I'd do that.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.