[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/, I have a home gym, and I got these rubber bumpler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-03-14 00.45.34.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 00.45.34.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Sup /diy/,

I have a home gym, and I got these rubber bumpler plates from a commercial gym that was throwing them out. Theyre not in the best condition, because they're cracking on the edges. What are some ways to repair rubber? Duct tape didn't work and I read some glues won't work either. Is there any rubber glue that could work? Please help, my budget is $500, I got all the time in the world, and many tools available to me.
>>
>>961608
The fuck do they do? I'd try some heat with a roll of PLA printer filament.
>>
>>961608
contact cement, and then clamp it piece by piece with wood clamps?
>>
Just drill some holes and screw them together with some washers, nuts, and bolts.
>>
File: 1399597283219.jpg (11 KB, 368x428) Image search: [Google]
1399597283219.jpg
11 KB, 368x428
>>961609
>>
>>961608
The stuff you repair wetsuits with
>>
>>961611
I don't want to use anything that'll change the weight of it too much. Are you suggesting I leave the clamps on forever?

>>961612
Shear forces travel through the plates. I think that might just cause more rips over time.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Here's what happened with duct tape...
>>
>>961632
I'm sorry for your loss, lad, I'm afraid if duct tape failed then there's not much else that anyone can do
>>
Fill the empty space with hot glue that do it and clamp it and remove excess and possibly cover it with tape
>>
>>961652
The trouble is that you drop these things, and they are heavy, they need to withstand a bit of abuse
>>
>>961608
Just stop dropping them. The negative pose of the movement is important too.

Just glue it with a strong adhesive/contact cement and clamp the sides while they dry. Any additional weight added by the glue would be negligible, and if you are that bothered by the extra weight you could drill some holes after the repair to reduce the weight.
>>
>>961692
I wouldn't worry about fixing them if I weren't gonna drop them. Oly lifts just require me to end with dropping them.
But what glue do you suggest? Might combine >>961652
with your method to see if that'll work.
>>
Drill em out, epoxy in some rebar.
>>
>>961814
The bumper plates have weight in them. A concentric circle. And the weight goes to about the the inner circle before they convex out to the standard plate width. I don't thing drilling near the edge is a good idea because it's likely to just cause even bigger tears.
>>
>>961692
>bumper plates
>just stop dropping them

Dropping them is precisely what they're for, you silly goose. They're for big Olympic lifts like clean and jerk where attempting to lower it gently to the ground after a successful lift would result in hilarity and injury.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.