[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this should go on /g/ or /adv/ but /g/ has a no technical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
I know this should go on /g/ or /adv/ but /g/ has a no technical support rulre and you guys might help more than /adv/ since there is DIY here. I picked up an HP dv6324us for $50, its shit I know but it seems like a pretty good deal but it turns out its just freezes during startup or screen doesn't turn on at all. At first I thought it was the HDD becuase the HDD light didn't turn on but later research turns out that if I press on the palm rest and it works than it means it's the GPU which I did and it worked . So according to what I read, I am supposed to put coins on the GPU and heat it up with a hairdryer? I am not really sure about this since many places on the internet suggest similar things but all have varying threads. I also found some motherboards on eBay with a GeForce Go 7200 GPU instead of the current Go 6150 it has install but I'd like to spend as few of sheckels as possible. Some suggestions or a few tips of owners that had pic related?

>inb4 "buy new laptop faggot"
>already have a /comfy/ 3rd Gen Ultrabook but this is for a project maybe sell it
>>
Sorry about muh engrish, on mobile
>>
>>960396
I take it you have a dedicated gpu? It sounds like there's a bad connection between the motherboard and the gpu. Take it apart, blow some air through it, put it back together and try again
>>
>>960396
>but /g/ has a no technical support rulre

mother fuck, no wonder we get so many computer threads

thats like NYC sending all its homeless people to new jersey
>>
>>960419
>Implying they dont belong in new jersey
>>
>>960396
Have fun with those BGA joints between chips and the motherboard. When laptop makers fail to properly cool components such as graphics chips, they can over time weaken those joints and cause them to crack. Sounds like what you have hear.

General fix is to cover the rest of the board except where the chip mounts with aluminum foil and CAREFULLY heat it with a heat gun. You can get one from Harbor Freight for like $10. This remelts/reflows the solder in those connections. Google it for better instructions. Good chance you'll fuck the board over, but also a chance to fix it. It's gone both ways for me before.
>>
>>960422
>implying NYC and new jersey aren't both utter shit.

>>960396
most old laptops i've ever dicked with suffer from two issues.

1 is obvious: viruses from downloading CP from the onion.

2 is sometimes 1 fan on the computer goes out [most have like 3 fans.] and the two others try to take over the load of the dead fan, but fail and that one fans job what ever it was suppose to cool. dies.

I've gone as far as cutting a big ass hole under where a CPU sits, epoxying on some sort of chicken wire/mesh shit I find from the hardware stores and installing the biggest fan I can fit in there, most of the time fixes me issues.
>>
>>960396
Don't know about your supposed fix, but just a heads up this model range of hps have motherboards take a shit on them all the time to the point that they did a recall on certain ones and gave people newer computers. Fried board is common and I have one sitting in my closet that did the same thing yours is intermittently til it finally stopped altogther.
>>
Pull the motherboard and go over it with a heat gun. Saved me hundreds of dollars of repairs on an imac and a few other computers.
>>
>>960440
Guess it's my only option since I don't have any option other than replacing the motherboard
>>
Congratulations you picked up a laptop that was so shitty that it was part of a class-action lawsuit. Try to sell it for about what you paid for it and look for a better one.
>>
>>960519
>sell it for about what you paid fo
mfw thats what the last person did
>>
File: clamps_futurama.gif (461 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
clamps_futurama.gif
461 KB, 320x240
>>960396
just try a clamp fix.
trick is to increase the clamping force so you dont need to manually clamp it by pressing on it. shorter screws so they can thread in more or whatever works. its been a problem with consumer electronics for a long time. look up the 360 xclamp fix for an example.
>>
>>960599
There's plenty of these of these on Craigslist selling for about $100, last person was seeking it for $80 but took $50. Lady said it was just the battery so I thought I could make a profit investing a few upgrades and reselll it or use it as HTPC since it has TV-Tuner and IR Receiver.
>>
Lmao ALL these models with nvidia chipsets are fucked, even if you order a new mobo it will still have the flaw and fail. Hp was even sued for it.
>>
>>960396

>dv6000 series with amd/nvidia

It's a wonder it works at all. All those pretty much cooked themselves to death because of poor heatsink design. Especially the ones with nvidia gpus. You could reflow the gpu solder with heat (micro torch, heat gun, hair dryer) but it will go back to malfunctioning after a few weeks. Let it die and get a different laptop.

I've messed around with modding the heatsinks and using different types of thermal paste on these and they still crap out.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.