[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to find a stud under sheet rock without a stud
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
Is there a way to find a stud under sheet rock without a stud finder or baging 8+ holes into the wall
>>
Not a home improvement person by any means but if I remember right you should be able to get a decent estimate by tapping lightly on the wall with a hammer or something. The sound over a stud should be noticeably different than hollow sheet rock. Not foolproof but a good help.
>>
No, get a stud finder.
>>
Theres a couple ways, but studfinders are like $5.

Get a strong magnet, once you find where the drywall screws are, you'll know thats where they're screwed into the stud. Hopefully the contractor wasn't as cheap as you and put a screw every foot.
>>
>>957118
Sheet rock attached to the studs using metal fasteners? Try a strong magnet.
>>
knock till it sounds solid, use a finishing nail to confirm

then if you need to find another simply measure off from that point
>>
File: bedroom-side-by-side-IR.jpg (20 KB, 638x236) Image search: [Google]
bedroom-side-by-side-IR.jpg
20 KB, 638x236
>>957118
Thermal imaging. Its fucking god tier
>>
>>957118
You could measure 16 inches from a known stud. Like a corner or door frame. And use a finish nail to check for the stud .Thats if your studs are 16 on center.
>>
>>957137
This is a terrible method. Especially if the room isn't a multiple of 16", or the studwall isn't 16OC.
>>
>>957123

Home inspector here. This.
>>
>>957118
Stud finders are the best way to go. Even a cheapo one works better than tapping around.

In a pinch however, I have had success using a free phone app to locate screws and thus a stud.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 320x172) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 320x172
>>957135
>>
>>957135
The cheapest thermal imagers you can get are like $250

Hell, even if you make one from components, the cheapest FLIR image sensor will cost you ~$150.

A stud finder is $5.

Lol.

I still want a thermal imager though.
>>
>>957282
http://www.digikey.com.au/en/product-highlight/f/flir/lepton-lwir-camera-modules

Pretty much all budget thermal imagers use this module.
>>
>>957282
only the lepton line is in the low hundreds.
anything that demands respect, for just the core, will cost you a few thousand.
>>
>>957286
Yep. Still, the lepton is pretty cool.

I wonder if you could use multiple lepton modules to increase the frame rate. With four modules you could theoretically have a steady 30fps, or with smart interpolation you could increase the effective resolution. I know that with amateur astronomy we can increase clarity and decrease noise by overlaying a number of images of the same view.

Even four leptons would still be a tenth the cost of a mid level sensor.
>>
Just look for the nails/screws, or locate them with a magnet.
>>
>>957137
The room doesn't need to be a multiple of 16" for that to work. You just need to know stud spacing. Which should be 16 on center unless you live in a diffrent country then usa. Or had a cockeyed builder.
>>
Know it been said before but most often 16" on center. If theres an outlet on the wall that should narrow it down for you go off of. If you look inside the box you might see the track for the nails normally they'll point at an angle into the wall. The furthest point should be the stud side.
>>
>>957118
I've always used the 'hit it with your hand' method. It's pretty easy to tell where there's just floppy drywall and where there's a solid 2x4 behind it.
>>
>>957460
>>957118
>>957125
this. you can see the ridges where the drywall panels join. they only join at studs. also they are attached with drywall screws. even the best plasterer can't hide them. then I use a small finishing nail to confirm.
>>
File: CHH3040.jpg (15 KB, 244x244) Image search: [Google]
CHH3040.jpg
15 KB, 244x244
>>957460
I did the hand method for a long time and it does work but pic related is among the best $5 I've ever spent. It's like magic. Very simple, sticks to drywall screws, bam, there's your stud.
>>
>>957289
but that tau2 tho

>use multiple letoptons
My first thoughts were to increase resolution like this but at the price it gets up to, id rather just pour out the money for one those sexy higher end lines.

Why couldn't I have been born in 2060 when this shit is affordable.. but then again in 2060 probably the entire population is useless so I wouldn't be able to have learned what to do with this stuff.
We need to focus on cryogenics, next best thing to time travel.
>>
>>957476

I've got exactly the same one and wholeheartedly recommend it.
>>
>>957472

Except drywall can span more than two studs.
>>
>>957476
This right here use this guy at work all the time
>>
>>957622
The tau2 is like a Ferrari. I could rent one, but it's not something I'll ever own.

So sexy though. I would jizz in my pants.
>>
>>957828
I AM going to own one, I dont care what it takes.
I love how it even has its own sdk. Whatever you put it in can have as many or as little features as you want.
>>
>>957135
I want to try one for finding 5 psi air leaks in Telco plant but I don't do it often enough to justify it. And I'm not even sure there would be enough of a temperature drop to register
>>
>>957845
Rent one out and see if it works.
>>
>>957845
get that bubbling spray
>>
>>957853
Spray wouldn't be useful. This is looking at like 150 feet of cable at a time, walking by from the ground.
>>957850
I probably will the next time I'm assigned to it for any length of time
>>
>>957871
>Spray wouldn't be useful.
yea fuck that shit, forget I even said anything. Youd need tankers of the spray.
How many degrees difference is this leak?
You could get a device that has the lepton in it, resolution will be shit (60x60)ish.. but it should show you if it would show up. You can buy it in something like the flir one for a smartphone.

a 9k tau2 would give you a resolution of 640x640.
(not my dimensions might be off by a bit)
>>
>>957831
Dude, check this out - a hacked FLIR E4 has a IR resolution of 320x240 (same as E8) for $1300.

Imma get one.

http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.