[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a Silo Home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17
File: grain-silo-white-metal-exterior.jpg (162 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
grain-silo-white-metal-exterior.jpg
162 KB, 750x1125
Trying to buy up a lot in my city and going to be building pic related soon.

Anyone have any experience with this? I can lay the foundation myself, and will be hiring out a company to do the rest.

I have a general sketch up of what I want to be going for, but am looking to find some software that will help me get down into the nitty gritty of the whole thing, just so I have as much shit finalized as possible, biggest reason is that when I find the silo with relatively the right dimensions, I want to snatch that shit up asap.

I also have plans on building an office space out behind, but have not decided if I'm going to go with a basic but traditional building structure, or if I will be using a box car.
>>
File: IMG_20160302_213218.jpg (308 KB, 1228x2214) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160302_213218.jpg
308 KB, 1228x2214
This sounds fucking retarded from start to finish.
>>
You do realize that your house will be 30% stairs, right? You'll likely just lose a lot of money with this.
>>
>>955443
This looks like a way to build a house out of a silo. Why do you want a round house with only one window/door anyway? and a tiny house at that? probably on the order of 400 sqft there for both levels (works out to ~16' diameter circle on two levels.
>>
File: recycled-silo-house-design.jpg (86 KB, 468x470) Image search: [Google]
recycled-silo-house-design.jpg
86 KB, 468x470
>>955472
I like smaller homes, it's extremely cost effective and it's energy efficient.

Also, I'm not going off this design. Mine is going to have a larger diamiter, and large open windows.

pic related; mine will be a cross of both of these more or less
>>
>>955443
Do not buy a lot in town. The idea is to be far out inna boondocks.
>>
>>955479
Ok , I like the looks of that.
>>
File: silo-green-home-conversion.jpg (109 KB, 468x258) Image search: [Google]
silo-green-home-conversion.jpg
109 KB, 468x258
>>955481
Nah, I'm hoping to show this as a proof of concept so they can allow me to build several and rent out the others.

I live in Austin, TX and they are always looking for shit like this.

The fact that I've always wanted to live in alt home like this is just icing on the cake.

>>955482
Silo homes are cool mang.
>>
>>955479
That looks all sorts of comfy.
>>
File: grain-silo-walnut-kitchen.jpg (100 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
grain-silo-walnut-kitchen.jpg
100 KB, 750x500
>>955516
Check out the interior.

>he bought all the wood used for $300 off some guy on craiglist
>>
>>955487
Is there no seal between the roof and the inside?
>>
>>955443

Has any /diy/ hippy actually gone through with their shitty scrap metal house idea?
>>
>>955546
I think it's a skylight.
>>
File: _20160303_064019.jpg (306 KB, 1033x1061) Image search: [Google]
_20160303_064019.jpg
306 KB, 1033x1061
Round houses are idiotic and those silo houses have no aesthetics at all. This is a disgrace to all the buildings in the world.

The only rational and allowed use for such a house would be for a psych ward.
>>
File: Shipping+Container+Home+2.png (1 MB, 1000x663) Image search: [Google]
Shipping+Container+Home+2.png
1 MB, 1000x663
>>955576
Round is objectively more energy efficient than any other shape, and also has a smaller foot print than a rectangular home.

That said, box car houses are cool too.
>>
>>955554
Of course not. Shit like this and shipping containers are meme dreams. I'd put money on those that do, hang themselves after realising the space is so minor it drives them mad and can't sell them because no one else is stupid enough to live in one.
>>
>>955588
>sell
>not renting out to college kids

I've lived in a studio apartment for 5 years. I lived in a dorm before that.

It's all about location.
>>
>>955591
>college kids
>hydrant silo

You're right, it is about location, and why would college students commute when the majority of the time time there is accomodation on campus?

Unless you constructed a building with purpose in the right location, there's a low chance the structure will be there to make a conversion and there will probably be a premium on the cost of it due to its location, straight away it's going to be cheaper to build a simple structure than convert one that wasn't designed for purpose.
>>
>>955576
thats pretty ugly and tacky desu
>>
>>955577
>smaller foot print
you say it like it is a good thing, round houses are objectively a waste of space, also, it is not more energy efficient if it costs more to build, it is just stupid
>>
>>955622
that is your opinion, but 99% would say the opposite, you are objectively wrong
>>
>>955577
Are they more energy efficient due to the smaller size?
>>
>>955636
yes, if your house is smaller, it will be more energy efficient. if you house is the size of a shoebox, it will have really good energy efficiency.
>>
>>955634
Do you understand what footprint means? Energy efficiency also has nothing to do with the building phase.
>>
>>955577
> round house
> not building a spherical house
Full pleb

Round isn't more energy efficient for humans to build or to live in
Round things are efficient for nature to produce because its an equilibrium of forces and really you can think of a sphere as a default shape.
Humans are good at making straight lines because you can throw up a guide line easy. You can't make a guide line bend to mark out a circle, you have to fanny about
>>
File: mcmurdo.jpg (156 KB, 990x660) Image search: [Google]
mcmurdo.jpg
156 KB, 990x660
>>955673
>spherical
correct : If 'round' was any good then surely Spheres are better and all the constructions in the Antarctic would be round or spherical. . . . But they are NOT.
>>
>>955668
>>>955634
We live better and can do a better interior design job in rectangular houses.

Cylindrical houses have more waste of space so they'll be relatively larger thus have a larger footprint.
>>
>>955697
Define waste of space. Because you can waste space in any shape.
>>
>>955702
Round silo converted home.
>>
File: SquareCircleSquare.jpg (9 KB, 319x318) Image search: [Google]
SquareCircleSquare.jpg
9 KB, 319x318
>>955702
Round walls can't be efficiently used for regular furniture. Unless you develop all kinds of new furniture to magically go well with it, which will take a lot of energy, straight walls will give you more usage per square meter.

We used to live in round structures, tents, huts. We moved to square structures not because it's easier to build (it's not) but because it fits us humans a lot better.
>>
>>955710
Custom furniture is a thing and if someone plans to live in a silo it most certainly is taken in consideration.
>>
>>955640
>>>955636
>yes, if your house is smaller, it will be more energy efficient. if you house is the size of a shoebox, it will have really good energy efficiency.

That's BS. Isolation and surface area is what makes up energy efficiency. Less surface area = less heat radiation, basic thermodynamica. And isolation is the most important thing of the whole energy efficiency.

We have a square house with floor heating instead of radiators at the windows. We expanded the house 3 times and have highest volume of the entire street, yet we have the lowest energy consumption (we did a survey).

You can lower your footprint the most by building as efficient as possible, not with a silo-shaped house. I still think your project's cool though. Just stop the pretending that it's about the environment.
>>
>>955712
When you want to lie down on your cylindrical sofa do you get your back custom made too?
>>
>>955714
tldr, but you are wrong, because he is right as a matter of fact
>>
>>955716
Great strawman m8.
>>
>>955609
>accomodation on campus?

You've never been to UT have you?

>almost no dorms
>closest apartments are "student living"
>share an apartment with 4-5 people, some paying $2k-3k a month to do so

It's not unusual for students, especially grad students to live well off campus now.
>>
File: TitanICBM.jpg (145 KB, 550x430) Image search: [Google]
TitanICBM.jpg
145 KB, 550x430
>>955443
Cool. What are you going to do with the missile?
>>
File: round sofa Google Search.png (2 MB, 1898x1276) Image search: [Google]
round sofa Google Search.png
2 MB, 1898x1276
>>955710
>round furniture doesn't exist

the fuck are you on about m8. It's like you've never been in a fucking furniture store. Also, if you are building it from the ground up, why the fuck wouldn't you include the furniture? I don't get your fucking logic.
>>
>>955749
Sweetheart. Those all just scream out inefficiency. The only superior round furniture is a table.
>>
>>955443
>buy a silo
>buy a round sofa
>buy a curved tv
>none of the radii match
fuck
>>
>>955710
>put sofa against wall
>hide dragon dildos and lul cats
>>
>>955710
Why did it take so long for this to be posted?

Same thing with quonsets, wasted space along the long edges.
>>
>>955749
>you're going to find furniture that is magically the same curvature as your house.
good luck with that.
>>
>>955827
Find?
It's like he isn't on a forum called /diy/
>>
>>955827
>buy a weird house
>can't buy custom furniture
There's more than IKEA furniture on this planet.
>>
File: 1407290138067.jpg (44 KB, 550x449) Image search: [Google]
1407290138067.jpg
44 KB, 550x449
>>955830
I'll give him that. Still a pointless waste of space and time for something that might just be mildly pleasing to look at.
Keep in mind he's also hiring a company to do most of the work, and custom built furniture comes at a pretty hefty price.
No one here is saying it can't be done, but highlighting the nuances and oversights the op seems to not have considered.
>>
>>955832
>>>955827
>>buy a weird house
>>can't buy custom furniture
>There's more than IKEA furniture on this planet.
Go on houzz and you'll see that silo's are usually used as non-main living space.

Also, implying that all premium furniture is specialized to your demand, did you actually ever go into a furniture store yourself?
>>
>>955576
you can't use a silo for a psych ward, it's for storing grains not fruit.
>>
>>955443
The silo will require lots and lots of reinforcements to make it safe. Those kinds of grain silos are designed to hold in weight of thousands of bushels of grain, not stand up to sustained lateral forces.

I've seen many a derecho (which tend to happen in Austin, TX) tip these on their sides and shred them like tin foil.
>>
>>955710
You do know a lot of furniture isn't the same shape or angles of your walls.
I seen plenty of round tables in square houses.
>>
>>956022
Those silos didn't have foundations specifically designed for homes. Silos are pretty sturdy.
>>
>>955833
Why not just build the furniture into the walls?
>>
>>955682
Igloo, fucking idiot.
>>
>>955975
Premium=custom!
Wew lad, it's almost like talking to a retard.
>>
>>955443
Dude, this is for ppl that have a lot of free time and money OR they get the silo/land/etc for free or really low price, otherwise its just money sink
>>
>THE SOFA MUST GO AGAINST THE WALL.

It's not like furniture company's bother putting a back on them because THEY MUST GO AGAINST THE WALL.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 500x350
Geodesic is the best of all worlds.
>>
A structure round on the outside doesn't need to be round on the inside.
>>
>>956037
>>>955710 (You)
>You do know a lot of furniture isn't the same shape or angles of your walls.
>I seen plenty of round tables in square houses.
I just as well said that the only piece of furniture where round is superior to square is a table. Your point?
>>
File: f16.png (4 KB, 226x164) Image search: [Google]
f16.png
4 KB, 226x164
>>956240
Of course it doesn't. But OP acts like it's more environment friendly, better to live in and wastes less space than square design.

We merely point out, to help him, that this project will be very expensive and isn't worth it or true on the points he makes. Yet he screams at us we're retards.

>>956142
Houzz premium design is a combination of custom and pre-made furniture. Both forms are considered premium. You ask for good ideas for your silo, we can't think of any so give you the bad instead.
>>
>>956320
I'm not asking for advice nor am I the OP. Simply pointing out that whining about "normal" furniture is retarded.
>>
>I know, I'll take a big tin with no insulation, no windows and no structural properties that would lend itself to a living space and then I'll just live in it, what could go wrong

I just don't see how you're benefiting from building in a silo instead of tearing down your silo and building and actual good building.
>>
How many of you honestly use the four corners of every room in your house?

Wasn't it only the other week a anon was moaning about his corner cupboard and his lazy susan?

I'd argue having sharp right angles in your home is dead space.
>>
>>956341

Not all, but most are occupied.
>>
>>956354
But with what and how are the furniture orientated?

Take any draws positioned in a corner, it opens along the other wall, not out towards the centre of the room, so to open it you have to stand by the wall.
>>
>>955682
It could just be cheaper too build them like what you in the picture.
>>
>>955470
>Wall ladder
>>
>>956211
That shit is hideous and you are using extra materials to build the roof for no goddamn purpose. I once banged a girl at her parents house, they were rich as fuck and had a huge mansion in this architectural form. The weird shit was, none of the walls actually went up all the way to ceiling, so if you got a tall enough ladder you could see into each room.... I was like wtf? I noticed this because where we were fucking was like some hideout spot you had to climb up to get to.
>>
>>956320
You are not responding to OP just fyi
>>
>>955487
>don't understand why you would want some shitty tiny little house
>austin, tx
I now understand.
>>
File: MOOMINMOTHERFUCKERS.jpg (122 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
MOOMINMOTHERFUCKERS.jpg
122 KB, 700x525
I can see where you're going with this OP.
>>
>>956211
So the walls sloping inwards (on the upper floor) result in wasted space. Where you can't put any straight-backed furniture against them. And headroom near the walls is also restricted.
>>
>>957739
nostalgia
>>
>>956211
>all roof
>walls aren't planes
domes are full-retard
>>
>>957826
Not if they are all windows
>>
>>957826
this is why geodesic domes are so great.
>>
>>957764
I don't know what kind of three story mini mansion you grew up in, but in every single house I've lived my entire life, with the notable exception of the few months I lived in an apartment block, I've always had sloping roofs. You just put your bedroom there, dude. It's not like you need ten feet of vertical clearance to sleep, holy shit.
>unless you mean to fit the crane.

>>957826
You don't make them identical outside and in. Sure, the roofs will slope, but there are more ways to hang things up anyways. You can have separator walls, display easels for pictures, etc. I don't put a lot of shit on my walls.

Domes might be impractical if you have a lot of furniture. But if you're not into materialism on that level you really can't go wrong with them. Especially in cold climates. They're a dream for the heating bill and if you use reinforced materials to build them are actually some of the most disaster proof geometric structures.

>>957950
Fuck walls, I only run into them anyways.
>>
File: zeus.png (366 KB, 1095x878) Image search: [Google]
zeus.png
366 KB, 1095x878
I'm wondering how a central fireplace might workout in one of these. Could go well with the whole structure being round.
>>
>Worked in a silo before
>70m high and completely made of concrete

0/10 would not live in
>>
>>957950
>geodesic domes are so great because they're complete shit
>>957953
ROOF not ceiling, you imbecile. The entire external structure is roof, which is fucking retards.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.