[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup, /diy/. I bought this neat little lockpicking set. Where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: tools_of_the_trade_3_web.gif (4 KB, 485x215) Image search: [Google]
tools_of_the_trade_3_web.gif
4 KB, 485x215
Sup, /diy/.
I bought this neat little lockpicking set.

Where I get started learning how to lockpick?
>>
>>954832
google.
>>
>>954832
http://www.lockpicking101.com/
>>
>>954832
Bosnianbill on YouTube.
>>
http://ninjacache.com/data/uploads/lockpicking-detail-overkill.pdf

good resourse
>>
>>955141
This. Or pick up a master lock. Those shits are so easy. The best way to learn is to fiddle until you do it once. Then you just get it. It's such clockwork after the first time. It also may just be the most satisfying half a second you will ever experience
>>
>>954832
If that's all you got, you'd better go buy some tension wrenches too.

And better rake while you're at it.

>>955141
Do this. Search his videos for "beginner."
>>
>>955141
This one'll get you started.
https://youtu.be/fI7Lx-73lU0

Any locksmiths in the thread?
I want to know if it's possible to clean a lock by giving it an acetone bath.
>>
>>955736
If you're at that point you may as well take apart the lock and clean the parts like you would a firearm.

If you're just doing general maintenance and the lock is sticking a bit then you can spray some graphite based lube into the keyhole and work the mechanism a few times.

No need to use acetone unless someone's put glue in it or something.
>>
>>955748
I'm just used to using acetone from organic chemistry lab.
It's just that I get used locks for practice, and I don't really know where they've been.
Since I share my locks with my friends, I'd like to give them a fresh start before applying my lubricant.
If not acetone, what solvent would you recomend using to clean it up?
>>
>>955760
Are you looking to sterilise them or just make them work smoothly?

I'm can't think of a specific way it would harm the lock, but I've never heard of someone doing it (except to attempt to remove glue).

If these are padlocks obviously make sure there are no plastic parts inside.

I'm not sure that just putting the whole lock in acetone will make much of a difference compared to just spraying lube into the lock though, assuming these locks aren't really bad.

If they're rusted obviously acetone won't help.
>>
>>955774
Remove any type of lubricant and dust and whatever was inside it.
>>
I used this:
http://www.capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/
>>
Read the MIT book.
>>
File: P1010262-2.jpg (300 KB, 933x700) Image search: [Google]
P1010262-2.jpg
300 KB, 933x700
>>954832
Look around for one of these, then buy a few cheap locks and poke around inside them until something happens
>>
>>955779
If they are all metal construction then just boil them for a short while and lube once they cool down, I worked in a lab many years ago and we had to sterilise the padlocks there, we boiled them and then hung them up to drain before lubing, they best thing about boiling is that the lock will dry out pretty well as long as you hang them up so any water will drain out and the residual heat will dry the rest out.
>>
>>956061
Thanks, and I can always stick them in the oven if they are still wet. But I can imagine them drying easily.

What kind of lab needs to sterilise padlocks? That sounds interesting.
>>
File: 1433990573117.jpg (706 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1433990573117.jpg
706 KB, 1440x1080
>got ripped off awhile back by a locksmith who apparently couldn't pick either of my locks
>originally was gonna drill one, ended up air-wedging the other because the last few pins were too jiggly or something
>charged well above the initial quote, claimed it was standard entry fee ($200)
>just learned that apparently a lot of locksmiths on call are part of large scam organizations that regularly have to do more work than expected and overcharge you for it

Getting into the business will either be very easy or get my legs sawed off.
>>
>>955585
Watch Bosnianbill AND get a Master Lock or two or three.

If you still want to continue, look on eBay for training locks that allow you to set the number of pins as well as swap the pins out. Get yourself some of the security pins to go in it and you have one lock that will keep you busy for a fuck of a long time.

You should be able to get by for quite some time with those three picks there, but you definitely need some tension wrenches (you fuck with the pins with the pick, you turn the keyway with the tension wrench).
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.