[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /DIY/! I had an idea of making a aluminum can dtove. But which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: F9XFUY6HOSKU29C.MEDIUM.jpg (36 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
F9XFUY6HOSKU29C.MEDIUM.jpg
36 KB, 620x413
Hi /DIY/! I had an idea of making a aluminum can dtove. But which is the fuel that's needed for turning up the heat?

Sorry for bad english!
>>
jet fuel can make a lot of heat
>>
You can probably use the gel fuel for fake fireplaces.
>>
>>953745
A cotton ball soaked with kerosene worked for mine, but they burn out pretty quick. Maybe 15 minutes of fire per ball.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt69fbNhCgs
>>
>>953747
it can't melt steel beams tho
>>
>>953745
Denatured alcohol or White Gas.
>>
>>953745
Ethanol
Methanol
Isopropyl Alcohol

Each in as pure a form as you can get. Don't allow methanol to get on your skin. If you absorb too much you can go permanently blind and/or die. I prefer Isopropyl Alcohol & Ethanol at 90% to 99% purity. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol is just a complete waste of time.

Protip: fill the voids of the alcohol stove with fiberglass insulation. If it tips, it won't gush out as fast.
>>
>>953745
Honestly. Search up "Sterno". It will change your life.

Or use alcohol. Pour into base of can stove and light. From a distance. Or wood. Hickory or cedar. Or charcoal.
>>
>>953768
If you get an olympic swimming pool full of jet fuel, and set it all on fire at the same time, and then place a really thin, but really long steel beam over it the beam will sag. So therefor you are just a tin foil hat conspiracist
>>
>>953846
Don't be scaring folks like that, read an MSDS.
If you spill some on yourself, congrats, it dried out and potentially irritated your skin. Methanol is bad either when chronically exposing your skin to lots of it, inhaling vapors all the time, or if you actually drink it.
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm
Methanol itself isn't too toxic, its mostly when it goes through the digestive process that it is converted to formaldehyde and then formic acid and formate salts.
>>
>>954108
>Don't be scaring folks like that, read an MSDS.

I suggest you get better sources for your MSDS.

>Inhalation, skin contact or ingestion of Methanol may cause blindness and liver damage.
http://www.unitedsuppliers.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ybNZ0-pCC5o%3D&tabid=78&mid=581&forcedownload=true

I know of one local case where a woman died from skin contact when some was spill on her legs and it soaked through her pants. It was kind like....fucking terrible.
>>
>>954104
not the same person as >>953749 but there is a big difference between melting and sagging. Before you comment on someone get the facts straight.
>>
>>954243
given enough time it will melt, learn to physics.
>>
>>954151
>Direct contact with the skin (especially after prolonged overexposure) can cause irritation. Prolonged or repeated skin overexposures can cause dermatitis.

Maybe you should learn to fucking read.
>>
>>954418
Maybe you should fucking read.

>I know of one local case where a woman died from skin contact when some was spill on her legs and it soaked through her pants. It was kind like....fucking terrible.

Prolonged contact isn't days or hours, it is seconds to minutes. Spilling shit like this all over you is how people die.

>Inhalation, skin contact or ingestion of Methanol may cause blindness and liver damage.
>Inhalation, skin contact or ingestion of Methanol may cause blindness and liver

Maybe you should shut your fucking mouth and stop saying this shit is as safe as you make it out to be because it is nothing of the sort. You'll get someone badly harmed or killed with your irresponsible shit.
>>
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol for mine. It has to warm up a bit before it'll hold a good flame but it's light, compact, and works.
>>
>>953753
Thanks for the answers!
>>
>>954151
You're a dumb cunt
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.