[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Primitive tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (2 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1136x640
https://youtu.be/P73REgj-3UE
How do y'all feel about primitive tech ?
>>
It's a lovely hobby but doesn't have a lot of practical use. In a survival situation you'd be better off suited with basic survival knowledge rather than knowing how to make a stone hatched. Hut building might come in handy in a long term situation, but if you're in for the long run you'd be long past mud huts.
As I said, it's a lovely hobby.
>>
>>952822
In a survival situation you are better off knowing everything. You can turn a survival situation into a thriving situation a lot easier. Basic survival knowledge is easy and doesn't take very long to master.

But, taking a week out of a year to train for survival in anything from primitive technology to medical aid is never wasted and shouldn't be considered a hobby. However, spending a greater portion of your pastime doing these things would be considered a hobby.
>>
>>953056
A week is a long time. I love going "survival camping" where legal to do so, bringing nothing but my clothes and a map/compass. Shits fun as fuck, but it isn't a super practical skill unless you regularly spend time way past the edges of civilization. If you know what you are doing, and you tell people where you are going, making yourself get found in a few days isn't difficult at all
>>
>>952814
I am not very /out/ at all, I dont have a bug out bag and I hate zombie movies. I could see how someone might gripe about the videos from an actual survival standpoint.

I thoroughly enjoy watching the videos though. Seeing stuff be created is always great, and his stuff turns out looking pretty good.
>>
His videos are so damn comfy. I love the fact that he doesn't talk about shit without end, it is just the noises of the woods and his toiling.
>>
>>953190
They did. They nearly burned every fucking tree to the ground and changed the environment of Australia and killed of tons of animal species. You can thank them for all the desert.
>>
>>953342
So many places have had that happen. It's only through absurd luck the middle of the USA isn't a complete wasteland like Africa and Australia.
>>
>>952814
>The lack of "HEY GUISE, ITS ME HERE, LIKE, SUBSCRIBE AND DONATE PLEASE"

Solid.
>>
>>952814
>video series has been about technological progress from natural resources
>latest video is him making charcoal
>hints in the description about charcoal being used for metallurgy
oh man oh man
excited as fuck

>>953398
>One Man overtakes Africa in technology within a 15 minute video.
kek
>>
File: American Wasteland.jpg (79 KB, 834x625) Image search: [Google]
American Wasteland.jpg
79 KB, 834x625
>>953344
It almost did.
Dust Bowl.
>>
File: australiavsamerica rivers.png (3 MB, 2055x1300) Image search: [Google]
australiavsamerica rivers.png
3 MB, 2055x1300
>>953592
>luck
no, into climatology
>missouri
>missisippi
>arkansas
>snow shearing mountain ranges providing melt flows
>>
File: los angeles river.jpg (242 KB, 1886x681) Image search: [Google]
los angeles river.jpg
242 KB, 1886x681
>>953623
that bridge is kill.
>>
>>953633
Not even the same place.
>>
>>952822
Still in a survival or even a mild collapse situation I would want to have this man on my side. Just the raw intelligence to dirt and say, I can make something with that.
>>
>>953633
you fucker the original place was in the water drainers in LA
>>
>>953173
>I hate zombie movies

So does /out/ ever since the zombie craze started we have been getting 3-4 zombie prepper threads a month.

The problem is retards actually think TV is real life, so they worry about Hollywood bullshit like zombies instead of genuine threats like dehydration, cougars, and Skinwalkers.
Anyways, as for this thread, it's cool what he does I guess, but please stop spamming his vids, I am sick of seeing them.
>>
>>953620
A lot of Texas rivers look just like those Australian ones m8.
>>
Oh yeah, this guy.
He's impressive, some of us on /out/ love his work. I believe there still is a thread about it there now.
>>
File: Starving-cows-5535380.jpg (26 KB, 350x240) Image search: [Google]
Starving-cows-5535380.jpg
26 KB, 350x240
>>953741
>>953754
what? no that's a pic just slightly further up the LA river. I was referring to the bridge you posted is being demolished now.

>>953789
yah and look what a shit hole texas is. queers and steers. the central regions of australia are just ranches. but for some reason alfalfa is super expensive here. farmers just arn't producing hay. so the cows are starving. some ranches with over a million head are losing 500/day. too expensive to ship sick cow, too expensive to truck expensive hay in.
>>
I find historical blacksmithing to be interesting, but that's not entirely primitive.
>>
>>953400
This made these videos very comfy and relaxing as well as intresting to watch. I have now seen all of them.
>>
>>954793
It's maximum comfy. You can put on some chill music and watch him work.
Over at /out/ a lot of us are big fans.
Especially when you consider the vast majority of /out/ related videos are made by basement dwelling neckbeards.
>>
>>953233
a week with no contact with civilization is a long time.
the search parties will break out the helicopters before that time.
if you can survive on your own with nothing for a week you are likely to get rescued.
>>
>>954393
>yah and look what a shit hole texas is. queers and steers.
>10th biggest economy on the planet
>rio grande,brazos, Ogallala aquifer,praries,farms,woods +more
stay inside pleb
>>
>>953760
>instead of genuine threats like dehydration, cougars, and Skinwalkers.
Kek
>>
>>956570
What's a sk--
>>
>>956611
Its a non existing creature /x/ inven
>>
>>952822
>survival situation
I've been on many /out/ things and expeditions and I still don't know what people mean with this bullshit. This fedorafags that waster their time on /out/ talking about knives and backbpacks instead of doing things. If by a survival situation you mean emergency you just hope you get rescued and do what is possible like every rational person. It's isn't because you left the city that you are now in a race against death or something similar.
>>
>>952814
i built an earthbag house in alaskalast summer looks like a hobbit home
>>
>>958163
Pics? Sounds awesome.
>>
>>953437
This guy's channel is like real life Minecraft. Except no punching trees.

Wonder if he knows how to get iron ore from the bottoms of ponds/lakes?
>>
primitive electricity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLaVbg2ZeC8
>>
>>958880
I think if you have electricity it isn't "primitive" anymore
>>
>>958870
There was a video I saw about a survivalist that dove to the bottom of lakes to get iron and then smelted it and made a knife out of it all while innawoods
>>
>>952814
i hav>>952814
e a electruc toothbruish
and a onisie
>>
>>960066
just buy one, ffs
>>
very interesting and inspiring. wouldn't do that in the woods here in shorts, bad idea (tics all over that carry boreliosis and meningitis) -> candidate for the darwin award.
>>
>>960070
woman detected
tits or gtfo
>>
>>953437
Have you checked his WordPress? He hints at blacksmithing in the last couple lines about the charcoal making.
>>
>>958870
he does mostly aborigine stuff so i'd be suprised if iron smelting comes up.

I'm pretty sure he is an anthropologist though.
>>
>>953760
>skinwalkers
hehehe
>>
It feels like to me the point of having this knowledge wouldn't be survival, but living a dark-ages style off grid life somewhere innawoods.

The hut idea would be adequate temp housing until enough lumber can be milled, but you'd still have to bring modern tools for that. Of course, you could always figure out cinder blocks. I'm sure ash would be plentiful.
>>
>>958870
hes working out it. in one of his recent videos he made some charcoal, which burns hotter than wood, and mentioned needing that for smelting.
>>
>>962613
rammed earth or sod housing built into a hill side.
>>
>>957999
They think civilization is going to completely collapse.
>>
>>962613
>It feels like to me the point of having this knowledge wouldn't be survival
Exactly. Building his huts from scratch takes him days, sometimes months.

When you're doing that kind of stuff, you're past "survival".
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.