[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An oldish, all-steel saw blade. Clearly made of a nice steel,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_2677.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2677.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
An oldish, all-steel saw blade. Clearly made of a nice steel, judging by how a file has trouble shaping it, and how it leaves scratches in drill bits. But too bad, it's made for a wacky arbor size and even if it were 5/8" I would never put it in my table saw because it is outgunned by today's carbide saw blades obviously.

I had already ground the tips off the blade for easy handling before I took this pic.
>>
File: IMG_2680.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2680.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Mounted in a vise with a piece of scrap wood to serve as a straight edge.
>>
I took light passes with the grinder to avoid bluing the tool and drawing its temper.
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Finished with the first cut. I was happy with how I didn't seem to overheat the metal at all, but now I suspect the teeth are hardened to a much greater extent than the body of the sawblade. Well, this would make sense, I guess, but disappointing.

I think I might want to heat treat the steel after I cut out the blanks now.
>>
File: IMG_2688.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2688.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Made another cut and deburred the edges with a mill file.
>>
Yes, I realize I need a workbench.
>>
File: IMG_2691.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2691.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
That's all I did tonight.

Anyways, this is where Anon [potentially] has a role to play in the finished product.

I laid out the two pieces I will soon grind on a 1" grid. MSpaint how I should cut the knife blanks.
>>
>>952614
http://www.ibuildit.ca/other%20projects/wooden-pocket-knife-1.html

he makes it out of wood, but the idea is the same.
>>
Monitoring Thread
>>
>>952599
When you say light passes, do you mean you kinda cut through the length of the blade but a millimetre at the time? Or grind the full depth but slowly?
>>
File: gotta-go-fast.jpg (391 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
gotta-go-fast.jpg
391 KB, 1000x750
>>952614
Gotta go fast
>>
>>952755
how many cutting discs did that cost?
>>
>>952805
not>>952755 but I'd guess about 150 since the quality of those disks have gone to shit in the last few years

also dremel itself has gone to full shit china-tier after they started to make them in mexico
>>
>>952614
two suggestions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLTE3c2Zrs
carving knife, plust directions for easy heat treating, or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Nqpy29Y7k
nice sturdy card scraper
>>
>>952805
>>952820
Only 1. It isn't an emery disc. I used a left over disc to start and the final disc wasn't used much. It is all about the angle. If you get the angle right it will last a long time, but the wrong angle will chew it up very quickly as in 30 seconds.

Dremel has never been good. It has always been shit. It is merely much shittier now.
>>
File: IMG_2684.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2684.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>952772
The first one.

I took light and fast passes, zipping the wheel across the blade taking off maybe 0.5mm at a time. This kept the blade cool to the touch. Keeping a cutting wheel in contact with the metal creates intense heat.
>>
>>952974
I use a wet wheel for mine and a stream of water. It is easy to diy with a fountain pump or garden hose attachment for a sink facet.
>>
>>952755
Very nice work, but I wonder why you used a blade with carbide inserts? They don't use cutter-grade steel on those, because none of the steel is doing any actual cutting.
>>
>>953068
It actually doesn't matter. The steel is good enough that it holds an edge for a long time even with regular use.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.