[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Screws that drive you mad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: screw11[1].jpg (3 KB, 341x341) Image search: [Google]
screw11[1].jpg
3 KB, 341x341
Over the years I've encountered a bunch of Phillips-head screws that had shallow heads or widely-spaced notches or both, and because of that couldn't really be turned by regular screwdrivers. The point goes in and just merrily spins around, grabbing hold of nothing, or worse, it almost grabs but doesn't, and starts taking little bits out of the notches. Sometimes it's not so much the pointiness of the screwdriver or bit as it is that it takes a while for the blades (I think that's the right term) to stick out enough to grab the screw head. Does anyone know where I can get some screwdrivers or bits that will work with these flunky screws?
>>
>>951478
yah. phillips no. 3
you're probably trying to use a phillips no2
>>
>>951478
>cant use the correct screwdriver
>complaining about screws

how about you google about screws ffs, the problem is not the screws, the problem is you, make yourself go away
>>
Cheap Chinese products, seen em before
>>
Yeah. Just about every screw factory in China seems to make a different Phillips profile. Hence I keep buying different brand Phillips bits because they each fit a different type of screw best with no rhyme or reason.
>>
>>951561
>>951521

They have different sized phillips heads.

PH1, PH2, PH3

And then you have things like pozidrive and so on PZ1, PZ2, PZ3
>>
>>951563
You don't think I'm fully aware of that? You don't think I have a tray of Phillips 00,0,1,2,3,4?

I do. And Chinese screws suck. And Chinese bits suck. It's a fastener Russian roulette.
>>
File: 1440482084348.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1440482084348.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>951478
If you're going to take stuff apart, learn the basics before you even attempt to pick up a tool.

You might as well be working with a plastic screwdriver from a toddlers play set asking something this ridiculous!

Do some basic research, learn the basics at the very least before you attempt to destroy your mother's electronics, and quit using a god damn hammer to drive screws into a 2x4
>(2 by 4, it's a piece of wood)

I truly hope you are a troll, or 5 years old, this is just sad.....
>>
Phillips is shit. Use Robertson.
>>
>>951570
There is nothing wrong with driving screws with a hammer.
>>
>>951569
>fastenner russian roulette
how does that work? do you pick up the fastener with a magnetic bit, aim it at your temple and press the trigger? if it chews out the head then you win that round?
>>
>>951643
The official drinking game of /DIY/
>>
>>951491
I try every driver and bit I can, sometimes nothing works.
>>951570
How about you give me a clue what you mean by "the basics" instead of only insulting me? I've been working with screws and nuts and drivers and bits for 20 years. If I don't know something (which is likely), please tell me what it is so I can learn.
>>951521
>>951561
>>951569
That's a shame... so I should just buy more and then try different ones when I have a problem?
>>
>>951732
Yeah man. Buy a selection of Phillips bits, try them in the screws you use most and see which fits best.
>>
>>951732
Yes I'm bashing on you a bit, but I did a quick Google search that took me 15 second and pulled the first two links for you, both go into detail why and how:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/an-easy-guide-to-phillips-head-screwdriver-sizes#b

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Phillips

Also yes, some factories purposely manufacture their own screws and drivers because they don't want you getting into their product. They want you to send it back to them for repairs, or have proof from strip marks to show that you've voided your warrantee so they can make that much more off of you.
That or they want to make it as hard as possible for you to reverse engineer their design, or they simply want you to buy their overpriced driver sets specifically designed for said product.

Quick tip:
Buy yourself a set or two of cheap ass bits and or drivers, also get yourself some half decent metal files, some jewelers grade one's too for the smaller bits.
Occasionally you will run into a screw where the manufacturer played this dick move (it happens). Good news, you now have some cheaply made screwdrivers you don't care about ruining, and files to custom form them.

I have a vast array of standard and non standard bits myself, but I still run into those shit strain screws from time to time. Every time I have to customize a bit, I make sure to label the company and product(s) it fits for future use. There's been a few times where it's been nice to already have a properly working bit on hand when that screw rears its ugly head again.

So yes I shit on you a bit, but please, at the very least, do a quick Google search first next time so you won't have people shitting on you... Despite what teachers say, yes, there are stupid questions.

Hope that helped you I bit.
>>
>>951478
Here's the story of Dead-Eye-Dick.
He was six-foot-six, with a cork-screw prick.
He fucked the world from pole to pole,
Looking for a woman with a cork-screw hole.
And when he found her, well fuck me dead,
The stupid whore had a left-hand thread.
>>
>>951780
Thanks for the advice.
The links don't seem helpful, and I don't know what search you think I should've done.
>>
File: JIS_detail.jpg (39 KB, 642x571) Image search: [Google]
JIS_detail.jpg
39 KB, 642x571
http://www.dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm
>>
>>951780

One of the most autistic things I have ever read.
>>
>>951826
I understated there, it's a bit helpful, especially taking these in mind >>951563 >>951831

>>951621
Canadian spotted

>>951643
>>951660
fund it
>>
>>951831
its unfortunate that its not super easy to tell the difference like it is with pozidrive.
>>
>>951844
Right? It's like this guy turns three screws a week not three screws a minute.
>>
Rubber bands are universal phillips adapters.

Just lay cut it in half and lay a strip across the screw head, and it'll make your screwdriver bite. Also excellent for stripped screws.
>>
phillips is casual
also, do you babies not have a JIS spec driver set and a phillips set? sooo casual for casual consumer electronics

hex tier

fuck torx
>>
>>951491
>one screw fits all
>>
>>951924
Yeah, its casually in just about everything, like my dick and your girlfriend.
>>
File: grabber.jpg (3 KB, 93x157) Image search: [Google]
grabber.jpg
3 KB, 93x157
The best phillips bit i've ever used

https://www.grabberman.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=2BIT
>>
>>951621
This isn't Canada eh? Sadly US doesn't use sq2's
>>
>>951995
Sure we do. It's creeping in in many applications. And if I you have to choice and want to use it on a project you can.
>>
>>951780
>some factories purposely manufacture their own screws and drivers because they don't want you getting into their product
this is not a thing.
simply because the logistics would be ridiculous.
also you can undo almost any screw with a pen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqleaD3yYys
>>
File: 1436168414938.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1436168414938.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>952089
>this is not a thing

Submits a video showing a company that makes their own custom screws and bits for their products
>>
>>951861
>>951995
I'm sorry you not hear to share this glorious country Bud's.
>>
>>952113
>in a 25yo console
it was a workaround for paying money to license torx. which was still current at the time. you can open them with a standard forked flat head screwdriver. it is for all intents and purposes, a knockoff inverted torx bit. its not a specialty security screw. it's a manufacturing problem. torx is good for machine assembly. when people bitch about different screws its because they dont understand why they exist. torx is good for machine assembly, phillips was good for hand assembling the model-T.
>>
I'm sure OP is trying to turn Pozi screws with a grocery store brand Phillips driver.
>>
>>952136
if anything it's those JIS ones, they're in an NES
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.