[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone opened one of these car boosters up before ? / Made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 61Kam+ZsryL._SL1000_.jpg (79 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61Kam+ZsryL._SL1000_.jpg
79 KB, 1000x1000
Has anyone opened one of these car boosters up before ? / Made one themselves ?

It seems like an interesting project.

Throw in 10x 18650 batteries in there, steal internals from a non working unit and get a crazy amount of boosting power.

All i'm finding online are people using big heavy car batteries as a solution, which isn't practical for an every day throw in your car sort of solution.
>>
I just saw a youtube vid of something like this. I used to use the plug in chargers and the booster packs that were 12lbs; essentially a small car battery with 2 alligator clips.

I'm curious as to how these tiny things can jump a car 20 times or whatever they're claiming. They're all about $100 a piece, but in reality Its $20 of batteries, connections, and a plastic housing. Seems like a perfect project for /diy/ to make on the cheap.
>>
>>950663

Most of them use a single soft prismatic LIPO cell. I doubt you'd get enough amps to jump a car out of 18650's unless you get the high output kind used in tools and such, but those only have a ~2ah capacity.
>>
>>950663
Mine didn't have 18650s, it had a small sealed lead acid battery.

It was fucking shit. 2 weeks after giving it its' quarterly charge I needed it and it barely gave me enough to turn er over.

Such is life when you get a bargain from Lidl. I'll just keep a spare battery on the boat from now on
>>
>I'm curious as to how these tiny things can jump a car 20 times or whatever they're claiming.

Lithium batteries are a lot more efficient at throwing huge currents around than lead-acids, and they'll keep doing it until they're basically empty.
>>
>>950917
Lion batteries have been around for quite a while, why are these compact booster packs just now hitting the market?

Additional question simply because I dont' know, why don't cars use Lion batteries instead of lead acid?
>>
>>950919

>Lion batteries have been around for quite a while, why are these compact booster packs just now hitting the market?

They've been around for quite some time though way more expensive than lead acid. These days people are too stupid to keep the batteries in their cars and devices charged properly.

>why don't cars use Lion batteries instead of lead acid?

Li-ions can't put out enough juice to turn over even a small engine plus you can't "dumb charge" them like a lead acid.

LiPO's are probably too scary for most manufactures to supply as OEM equipment, they definitely got enough amps though. Again they're too expensive and require special charging circuitry.

Li-fepo4's are starting to become popular in the race world but can't put out high currents in cold weather and they also need a special charging circuit. They also cost waaayyy too much for OEM purposes.
>>
>>950923
>Not enough cold cranking amps
Alright, limits of physics sure, could a capacitor dedicated to starting solve this?
>can't dumb charge
Computers and chargers are cheap, alternators can be controlled, and a simple setup of contacts for a 12v input to be "filtered" through the computer for charging could easily be accomplished
>LiPOs too scary for OEMs
Bullshit, with tesla using LiPOs to power entire cars, and they've been tossed in "hybrids" for over a decade now. Speaking of which, do hybrids have lipo and lead acid to start the engine?
>>
>>950926

Too expensive and complicated.

Again that costs too much when you have t do it to a million + vehicles. Plus most people can't even handle boosting a lead acid battery, shits different when you're dealing with lithium.

Tesla uses 18650 Li-ions, specifically Li cobalt cells, Not LIPO's. Prii and most Hybrids use NiMH batteries.
>>
>>950923
Lipo can work if there is a voltage monitor that keeps the charge at 50% when the car is not used for long periods say 20 hours and don't forget Lipo is so expensive
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.