[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, Need help, moved into a new flat and the radiator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Radiator-cables.jpg (804 KB, 2561x1727) Image search: [Google]
Radiator-cables.jpg
804 KB, 2561x1727
Hey /diy/,
Need help, moved into a new flat and the radiator isn't connected, it's pretty cold today and I have no idea how to connect this thing up as I have almost no electrical knowledge.

Pic related, it's the cables.
Thanks ahead for helping a bro out.
>>
>>950527
No ground wire? This is not how this is supposed to work OP. Just buy a power plug from the hardware store and wire it up properly rather than trying to twist mains voltage wires together.
>>
OP Here, thanks for the replay, as I said I have no idea, these wires are the ones that are both behind the radiator and no plug sockets are around, so I figured they were to be connected up this way. :/
>>
>>950527
call the fucking landlord.
make him send someone today or you withhold rent
what kind of a ghetto did you move into, with no heat in February??

that shit just isn't acceptable.
>>
Landlord is already aware, but I live and France and it's no joke that over here bureaucracy is fucking crazy. Can't wait that long for them to come sort it x_x
FYI, the 2 cables on the left are from the radiator and the 3 on the right from the wall (so I'm guessing the mains?)

If I can't wire it up myself I just may say fuck it and go out and buy an electric radiator, but that shits expensive..
>>
>>950544
>>950527
Pic of the radiator?

Normally it would have a ground cable (the green/yellow one) since heaters are high power appliances and you don't want any of them to short out.

What kind of radiator is it?
>>
File: Radiator.jpg (733 KB, 3071x1727) Image search: [Google]
Radiator.jpg
733 KB, 3071x1727
Pretty bog-standard wall mounted radiator. As I said the white cable that comes out the back has these two blue and brown cables but nothing else. And no plug sockets anywhere close to the installation and the big grey one with the 3 cables comes out the wall right behind it, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be connected there.
>>
>>950549
Usually the LIVE conductor is Black, however others colours are used except Blue which is always NEUTRAL and Green / Yellow stripped which is always EARTH .Red is becoming the standard for the Live conductor in a new installation.

Turn the power off before doing this shit OP.
>>
Well I have access to the mains box so no problem cutting the power until I'm done. So I put the brown in the black and the blue in the blue? :o
>>
>>950553
Yes. It might be a good idea to wear rubber gloves (dishwasher gloves, for instance) to make sure. But yeah.
>>
File: op.png (3 MB, 1793x1209) Image search: [Google]
op.png
3 MB, 1793x1209
>>950553
I suggest you wait for 1 more person to confirm my picture for you for just to be safe but these are right, i am pretty confident.
>>
Yay it worked! :) Heating now turned on, now sitting in front of warm heating, you guys just saved my Monday :3 Thanks bros
>>
>>950557
Nice.

You mind telling us what you did to connect them? lol
>>
>>950556
It's AC, does that really matter? I mean, the pixies will bounce back and forth at their stated rates anyways, is this a big problem?

Otherwise I agree its more tidy and better work ethic to do it consistently. The alternative is to make it like they do in eastern europe.

I also agree with your statement, grey to blue, black to brown.

>>950557
Hooray! Felicitations!

Make sure your smoke alarm works before going to bed, and if you don't need heat in the night (if it's not unbearably cold) I suggest taking out the plug for safety during night time and when you're not home. You don't wanna fuck around with homebrew electrics if you risk burning down your house due to lack of care.

Have a nice and warmer monday! :D
>>
>>950558
Yeah well the grey boxes have like a locket that you press on and then you put the cables through the holes in the box, let go and it clamps the cable in place. And I'm guessing inside it has some kind of metal lip that connects the in and out cables up electrically. :)

>>950559
Thanks for the warning, will do :D
>>
>>950559
True but we always usually Earth everything in Australia so yeah

>>950560
Oh yeah gotcha mate.
>>
If anyone is interested why there is no ground wire in the heater; that's because heaters are double insulated, and when the heating element breaks, it will also launch the fuse, so there is no need to ground the outter box. There are only two wires, and it doesn't matter how you connect them (as long as you won't touch the ground wire), but usually it's best to connect the matching colors (blue - blue and brown - black). Blue is neutral, and Brown/Black/White Line.
>>
>>950556
I confirm, go ahead. Electricianfag here. And next time get a proper plug on the cable and plug it into a socket.
>>
File: 1456256840344.jpg (135 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456256840344.jpg
135 KB, 600x600
>>
>>951762
You're meant to check off the bingo and post it when you have a line or an X you fucking retard
>>
>>951771
since when are you the grand high poobah of the diy bingo?

fuck off.
>>
>>951905
If you're going to be a cancerous fucklord with nothing to contribute, at least learn how it works.

Oh thats right, you're a cancerous fucklord. You don't care about failing.
>>
>>951762
>>951771
>>951905
>>951917
The bingo pic was fucking stale 2 years ago, why it suddenly has had a resurgence I dont know.

Its fucking stupid
>>
>>951919
Because its an easy way for fuckwits who are too basic to create a point, much less make a meaningful reply to the OP, to express their bitterness at the whole situation. I mean, why else would you bother wasting your time? And this dense cunt is STILL too basic to do it right. He didnt even mark anything off.

How the fuck does this faggot remember to breathe..?
>>
>>951917
>>951919
>>951926
well you sure told him. I'm sure we will never see that pic again.

morons.
>>
>>950527
its ac.
green/yellow is earth. always
polarity of the other two don't matter especially if its not earthed

don't touch it while its powered

consider it may be disconnected for a very good reason

you shouldn't leave high power appliance unattended anyway but you should also make sure its not in a positin to be fiddled with by others
>>
>>950542
This. You don't own the property, and besides you're not a licensed electrician. All rental agreements expressly prohibit the tennant from doing any sort of repair work. Call your landlord, they have to fix it, or you don't pay the rent until it's fixed.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.