[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planning to make a helmet similar to daftpunk's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (145 KB, 1862x1038) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
145 KB, 1862x1038
i want to know how in the hell would i be able to see through the LEDS
>>
I suppose a cheap, easy solution would be to paint the back and lower portion of the LEDs black, so that none of the light shines into your eyes. Of course, your vision would still be somewhat obstructed, but you could still see enough to avoid walking into things.
>>
>>950317
thanks for the advice
but do you think there would an alternative for the LEDs?
>>
>>950323
To be honest, probably not. LEDs are cheap, easy to work with, and most importantly lightweight, perfect for something worn on the head.

Of course, if you were only displaying a static pattern, you could fill the non-lit parts with some appropriately coloured plastic film, such as the type used on lamps/projectors. That'd let you see straight through the majority of the visor, and could still look pretty good, as long as you picked your colours right.
>>
>>950327
i think i just got an idea
from that alternative thanks!
>>
Why not a web cam facing out and LCD inside?
>>
File: 1456080864657.jpg (74 KB, 677x558) Image search: [Google]
1456080864657.jpg
74 KB, 677x558
>>
File: 1456081039909.jpg (127 KB, 632x477) Image search: [Google]
1456081039909.jpg
127 KB, 632x477
>>
>>950314
The real helmets have two tiny pen sized holes to see through, nowadays you can't make an almost perfect replica for a little over a grand.
>>
Look up volpins blog posts about his helmets.
He's really good at that stuff.
>>
>>950387
this ^

a tiny pin hole cam in the mouth slot and stream it to a VR-like screen on the inside hidden.
>>
File: _12.jpg (23 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
_12.jpg
23 KB, 500x500
>>950403
Even with space between them the LEDs, and painting the backs black, the LEDs would be too bright and all you would see is their reflection on the visor plastic.

You can get a pair of video glasses for under $100 (ebay search: video glasses) Be sure it has composite video input. While on ebay, get a spy camera with composite video output (ebay search: mini cctv camera), and put that in the helmet's mouth.

As for the helmet, some makers have used a baseball batting helmet as the base.
>>
File: _12b.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
_12b.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>950592
A spy camera with composite video output.
>>
>>950314
Polarized light leds and a polarization filter under them.
>>
He doesn't see threw the leds he sees threw the little scoop under the leds, ehh amirite
>>
>>950314
>i want to know how in the hell would i be able to see through the LEDS
you have one clear visor that the LEDs are fixed into, and another colored visor inside of that (the inner visor doesn't need to be thick, it could be made from lighting gel sheet).
if you use single-color LEDs and a complimentary color for the inner visor plastic then it will filter out the LED color
like for example-
if you use red LEDs, then just use blue plastic for the visor. you won't see the red light from the LEDs much at all, but you will still be able to see everything else
>>
File: 1456303437857.jpg (54 KB, 499x344) Image search: [Google]
1456303437857.jpg
54 KB, 499x344
use 2 periscopes one for each eye. make it so they see out of the mouth or the sides.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.