[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pasta Bridge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2007x1026) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2007x1026
Hey /diy/
I'm trying to make a bridge for a physics project and I'd appreciate any input

Rules
>pasta is the only building material
> no glue allowed, only water

Make a bridge of pasta and water.. Suggestions?
>>
Use spaghetti and use the sam tehnique they use for baskets. You can boil it a few seconds so it softens. After cooling it stays in said shape.
>>
>>950040
Like a weave pattern?
Could you link me to anything that will help in doing that?
>>
More information
>attempted to make a paste out of rice flour and water, little success
>must span a foot and hold at least 20 pounds or a 20:1 ratio, whichever is higher
>lasagna is long enough but very brittle
>>
>>950040
Hell "rope" lashings could be possible too.

>>950038
Just curious but does it have to carry a load at all ?
>>
Well. I imagine Pasta is a brittle material with little tensile strength (in comparison to compressive strength), and I imagine the flexural strength is minimal too.

The young's modulus will be quite low too, probably like a soft metal (e.g. aluminium)

So use it like you would plain concrete or plain masonry (i.e. non reinforced), design a compression structure basically.

People have been doing it for thousands of years, there should be some examples of compression structures online.

Also Protip: the most efficient compressive arch structure isn't a semicircle, it's an inverted hanging chain.
>>
>>950052
Ah shit I shoulda hit refresh.
>>
>>950038
I have an even better idea.

Look up how mich spaghetti you need.
Then iol a piece of wood very well wich is long enough.

Boil the spaghetty just a minute so it gets sticky. Now get rid of the water and put the spaghetti on the woo you prepared. Adjust it with an dork and let it cool.

After that you can take the cold and sturdy spaghetti plate
>>
Make the bridge as short as possible and just glue a ton of spaghetti together to make a flat bridge.
>>
>>950061
>glue it together

No glue allowed. Only water
>>
>>950062

What is the minimum length requirement? The shorter the bridge is, the stronger the spaghetti will be.
>>
>>950063
has to span 12 inches
so ideally, it would be a little longer than that. I don't know what the ideal length would be but I was thinking maybe 14, 16 inches
>>
The starch on the pasta is what's going to hold it all together like glue, so don't rinse it too much.
>>
>>950064
Thats what she said.
>>
Build a truss structure with short members. Member length should be chosen so that you don't reach their buckling loads on service. You need dry pasta's Young's modulus for your buckling calculations; I read that it's about 5 GPa.

Ideally, your truss should be an arch to work in as pure compression as possible. Your material is strongest in that state, but only if you avoid elastic instabilities (that's why you use short members to avoid buckling).
>>
>>950108
How do you suggest that I make an arch? The stuff doesn't really stick together that well at all.
>>
>>950038
... Make big flat line of pasta in a longer container... Fill container and cover pasta with water... Freeze in the freezer... Bring out and lay block of Ice infused with pasta over gap... Wala
>>
>>950119
If no one has done it before at your "school" that would the best.
>>
>>950119
Tried this loophole and my teacher said that it had to be liquid water. Unfortunately, no solid ice.
>>
>>950133
can you make your own pasta?
with like sawdust and shit in the dough?
>>
>>950139
Has to be edible because my teacher is going to make us eat it to prove we didn't cheat and use glue or non edibles
>>
No limitations on the amount of pasta? Just take a shit-load of long pasta and let them fuse together into a solid block.
>>
>>950038
Your first problem is how to reliably stick your pasta together. You can experiment with a few ways: 1) lay your uncooked pieces together, add a drop or two of hot water 2) grind up some pasta to a powder, add water to make "pasta concrete," apply to aforementioned uncooked pasta, try hot concrete as well as cold 3) make a jig for your finished pasta bridge, spray with cooking spray (Pam or whatever), lay in uncooked pasta and pour boiling water over it; wait a day and remove 4) think of your own method

The structure itself you can pull from books, or take something from the wise and wonderful anons who have kindly posted their suggestions here.

Oh wait... This was assigned in January and is due tomorrow... Yeah, you're fucked. Use tiny drops of hot glue and hope you can convince your prof that it's pasta concrete.
>>
Just buy a big piece of manicotti and just submit that. It should be thick enough to hold 20 lbs.

We made a ball out of the stuff in physics class, and the teacher couldn't crush it with all the weights she had.
>>
Fuck this sounds like a fun project. When I had a "make a bridge project in highschool, I was a smart ass an made a hollow wooden box out of 1x6. In the shape of a bridge then put a 4x4 down the middle for "structural support" teacher was madder than a hornet and made me remove the 4x4 for the test, but I obviously still made the weight limit. Then we took it outside and parked my truck on it, and it still held. Not bad for just routers and glue.

Anyways, just weave a bunch of strips of that long flat spaghetti like stuff, fill the gaps with flour and corn starch paste, and bake it to reharden. Use that method to make components, then assemble how you want it.

USE flour+cornstarch paste as glue, since you can't use real glue. Give it just a tiny amount of steam/moisture before the test to help remove the brittle factor.

Remember, the projects are more about ingenuity than structure, so be creative with your work around. After that it's just trusses and triangles.

Also, wen securing a piece to another, wrap it around then coil back on itself before applying flour paste to the joint, this will be much stronger.

Or just be like me and superglue a single strand of spaghetti to a large hunk of lumber and claim the noodle is you project, the board was just for holding it together while you worked on it. It's always better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
>>
>>950064
>span 12 inches
>hold 20lbs

That's easy.

You can cook pasta, shape it to the desired shape then dry it. Or, you can make your own pasta and make it into the shape you need. Racially, you use a pasta from scratch recipe to make pasta cement. You form it and mold it into whatever shape you want then dry it completely. You could hold a car up with the stuff and the correct design.
>>
>>950390
>Racially

>Basically,

wtf autocorrect
>>
This comes down to a materials v structure problem, so it is really up to you how you want to go about it.

The easiest way is the materials route, in which I would recommend a solid brick of laminated lasagna noodles.

However if you want to go the other way, you need to build an assload of tiny structures and connect them into a long structure (no shit). Can't really help you sink I'm not an bridge engineer there though.
>>
>>950141
bitch white glue is fucking nontoxic, use that shit. don't be a bitch.

Does the pasta have to be string pasta?
>>
>>950399
any kind of pasta. I know a lot of anons have seemed liked they are limited to string pasta but anything is fair game
>>
>>950038
Suspension bridge with linguine wires.
Let ends of linguine get wet, then wrap around hold and dry.
You can weave a strong as fuck mat of linguine, too.
Or if you're suicidal, weave standard spaghetti noodles for twelve years.
>>
>>950046
Soften the lasagna noodles and form several of them into a box beam. Use egg wash to glue the layers together; just remember to heat it up so the proteins do their thing.
>>
>>950399
>>950415
>string pasta

Spaghetti
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.