[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electronics help - adding a switch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: switch.png (252 KB, 991x459) Image search: [Google]
switch.png
252 KB, 991x459
I don't know shit about eelectronix.

My dental chair already has a recline via a "momentary on/off/momentary on" rocker footswitch. I'd prefer to add a momentary handswitch to also control the recline. Is it as simple as adding an additional set of wires (picture #2) out of this red thing I circled in picture #1?

Do I need diodes or any other thing so I don't blow this chair motor up?

Thanks.
>>
Probably.. actually, almost certainly, as long as the switch you get is rated for the same load as the one you are duplicating.

And you use wires rated for the same load, the hand-switch shell is properly constructed, etc and so on.
>>
>>949389
I'm not sure how your switch switches, but its very likely you will make a short if you use both switches at the same time, to different positions. If its a simple on/off switch that doesn't cross polarities then it would work without problems though. 2 switches in parallel usually isn't ideal, but since its just a momentary switch then it should work just fine.
>>
>>949451
What's wrong with having two switches in parallel? Even if both switches are activated, all it would do is have a reduced wire resistance right?
>>
>>949459
It depends on what you use it for, but its about the user operation.

When something is on, having two switches that could be the one that's on makes for confusion and annoyance. You want to be able to turn whatever off from either of them. Parallel connection doesn't let you do that.
>>
>>949473
Ahh ok I see what you mean.
>>
File: electric diagram.png (11 KB, 1103x888) Image search: [Google]
electric diagram.png
11 KB, 1103x888
This is how I would draw the diagram of the installation you want to make, afaik it wouldnt be a problem if I understand your request correct
>>
If you're a dentist you can probably afford to hire an electrician. Also, medical grade devices, even plugs and switches, are quite costly and can have special requirements for installation. Do your homework via the CEC/NEC and provincial/state amendments. Good luck

-Electrician in Toronto, ON
>>
>>949507

that's no good. it's a 3-wire switch, with UP and DOWN positions, and a center OFF. if you put 2 switches like that in parallel, there's always the possibility that one person will press UP and another press DOWN, and you get a short circuit, a blown fuse, and a fixed chair.
>>
Its actually a dental chair but used for tattoos.
Is there anyway to set it up so it doesn't blow a fuse if both switches are pressed at once?
>>
>>949634
Can't see an easy way right now just working with some assumptions.
Its not the kind of electronics i usually work with, but if you have some more info on the switch, what kind of motor and if its AC or DC (I'm assuming its DC based on what you have said.) then i could maybe give a better answer.
>>
File: one-way lockout ckt.gif (611 KB, 1000x1123) Image search: [Google]
one-way lockout ckt.gif
611 KB, 1000x1123
i think this would do it. if you activate the UP relay using either switch, it locks out the DOWN relay, and vice versa. it's a bit more complicated than i'd hoped. but i cant see a way to do it with a just a double-pole switch unless it's an exotic type with both NO and NC contacts.
>>
>>949865
>Exotic type
>Form C relays are exotic
Fukn kill me m8.
>>
>>950033

reading comprehension fail.
not talking about relays but momentary action center-off switches.
>>
>>949509
What this guy said; please don't do this yourself.
- Biomed in Ohio
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.