[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, i wanna design a preamp pedal for my SM58 microphone.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: piod_tubescreamer_001.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
piod_tubescreamer_001.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Hello, i wanna design a preamp pedal for my SM58 microphone. Whats more useful or "right", putting the XLR in the IN or the OUT? I thought of putting a TRS mono in and a XLR out so it goes straight to the board.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>949193
Have input as XLR, output preferably both TS and XLR with option of line/instrument level.
>>
>>949197

what happens if i do what i stated in Op, just TRS IN, XLR OUT? what are the risks?
>>
>>949193
Would this pedal be before or after the amp?
>>
>>949308
If it is going to be a preamp, it would be before the power amp.

The photo seems to be just a guitar pedal, not very related to the subject.
>>
>>949320
he might want his preamp in a stompbox format.
the enclosure is irrelevant in any case.

>>949193
Im not that well versed in soundtech, i guess it depends on your setup.
XLR in might be a gien, i haven't seen many monojack microphones outside of harmonica mics.

the output depends on your 'amp' as you say.
for stage use through a mixer i think xlr is a clear choice.

why no both though?
making an unbalanced output form a balanced is like one op-amp more.
what thoughts have you made on power rails, single or dual?
>>
>>949198
You'll need an adapter for 99% of the mics on the market and having a TS out or balanced TRS is just more convenient.
>>
Just use combination XLR/TRS sockets on the way in and out. Ultimate flexibility.
>>
>>949193
The gain of XLR all the way through is noise reduction; an important aspect for microphones.

The gain of unbalanced all the way through is compatability with things beyond your mixing board, or possibly even on your mixing board itself; depending on your board and your requirements.
>>
XLR and TRS are the same thing in a different form, just like micro and mini usb
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.