[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup, Electronics newbie here trying to design my first regulated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: halp.jpg (110 KB, 1018x385) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
110 KB, 1018x385
sup, Electronics newbie here trying to design my first regulated DC power supply. Why does my transformer explode when I simulate my circuit in multisim?
I have managed to prevent damage to the transformer by placing a high power resistor at 25 Ohms between the output of the bridge rectifier and the capacitor bank, however this causes a large performance decrease. Is there a way to fix this without significantly reducing my output?
The transformer should output approx. 24Vrms AC.
>>
I had a similar problem with some other simulation software (livewire). Had a similar setup: transformer -> bridge -> caps -> regul -> caps -> load. For some reason, the bridge diodes keep exploding at the start of the simulation. Never solved the issue with the simulation, but our best guess at that time was that the unloaded caps (at the start of the simulation) were threated as a short circuit, making the diodes blow.
>>
>>949132
Uh... Because the peak value will be around 34V and you have a 25V zener there?
>>
>>949143
I decreased the transformer output voltage to 12Vrms and removes the zener, the same thing happens. I tried putting a voltage divider in place of the zener aswell to no effect
>>
>>949144
Like >>949139 hints at, try adding a 0,1 ohm resistor between the caps and the rectifier to simulate trace/wire resistance. Alternatively, a 0,1 ohm resistor in series with the output of the transformer. Or both.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.