[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here sewn their own jeans? Is it hard to tailor and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 33963-jeans-levis-501-5.jpg (534 KB, 1065x1410) Image search: [Google]
33963-jeans-levis-501-5.jpg
534 KB, 1065x1410
Has anyone here sewn their own jeans?
Is it hard to tailor and sew good fitting jeans?

I'm sick of buying expensive pants just to wear out the crotch 3 months later.
And finding a pair that fits my ass good is near impossible.
>>
>>948990
>W30 L32

I would suggest starting with more material around your waist. Probably closer to 42.
>>
>>948990
If you jeans are wearing out after 3 months it isn't the quality but the excess stress you're putting them under. Maybe you should wear the correct clothing for the job you are undertaking.
>>
>>948997

I wonder what the hell OP does to wear out the crotch in 3 months.
>>
If you sew your own jeans they are still going to be out of the same material, denim, and as you've experienced that won't last 3 months with your life style.

Have you considered biker pants or a kilt?
>>
>>948990
i feel you man. having a large dick has its downsides.

>>948997
or it's forced to stretch around your dong.
>>
>>948998
I have the same problem as OP. I have some old jeans that never get crotch damage and then some new ones that tear as soon as I try to climb over a gate or trailer. The difference is in the style number printed inside the jeans on a tag. I have other jeans I can't wear because the waist is too low and it causes me back pain when I wear it all day, even when I use a belt. Tailored jeans are a godsend.
>>
>>948997
>>949023
well i think the reason they wear out is BECAUSE they don't fit properly.
I have big glutes and thighs but a normal waist which forces me to buy pants that don't fit well.
I have one pair of good chinos that I got lucky with. they show minimal signs of wear after 6 months and feel much better then most pants I try.

Sooooo? any tailors around here? whould I be better of at /fa/
>>
>>948997
As a person that skates in jeans since 14 years old teen (26 now) I can say that its all up to the quality of the product.
>>
>>948990
I've never sewn my own jeans, sorry.

I do know that gusseted jeans are more comfortable than normal jeans, if you're a guy who has any crotch issues.
http://www.allamericanclothing.com/gusset.html

I bought a few of these and the crotch definitely felt nicer than any other brand of regular jeans.
Over time tho I decided it really wasn't that big of an issue for me.
>>
>>949069
Yeah jeans weren't designed with skateboarding in mind.
It always comes back to using the correct tool for the job.
>>
File: Knitter_eb3c1b_2478097.jpg (63 KB, 640x415) Image search: [Google]
Knitter_eb3c1b_2478097.jpg
63 KB, 640x415
I guess /diy/ really is a
Meetingplace for knittersā„¢
>>
>>949047
Maybe try buying plus sized womens jeans. They would probably fit your.. figure better.
>>
>>948990
Have you thought of switching to cargo pants or regular pants?
>>
I had the same problem. Try ripstop jeans op.
>>
>>949047
To you and OP--when buying pants go for "relaxed fit".

I have a big cock and ass but a normal waste, so I've had a lot of problems getting pants, that is, until I started strictly buying "relaxed fit".

Also, American eagel makes the best jeans ever, but they often don't sell relaxed fit in store, you have to order online.

I got "relaxed straight" fit or whatever, and they were perfect, best pair of jeans I have ever had.

Also, ordered some old navy chinos/khakis with "relaxed" fit, they too fit very very well.

Balls and ass aren't getting crushed.
>>
>>948990
I've always had the same problem OP
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with fitting, I've bought looser fit and tighter fit jeans numerous times and they got damaged even faster.
I've also forked out for expensive jeans and the same thing happened.
They don't rip or anything, they just wear down in between the legs so they can't be sewn, only a patch can be put over the area.

It also doesn't seem to be using them when I'm working, I have jeans that I only wear around the house or out around the town and the same thing happens.

I think it's the way I walk or something, I always go through shoes in a few months too. The heel completely wears through in no time.
>>
>>948998
I used to do that stickering lumber and loading logs onto the mill. All the lifting and squatting wears out thighs and rips knees and crotches. None of my pants from my childhood have crotches.
>>
>>949023
Mike matei?
>>
>when your jeans dont fit

Its a pain to find 30x36 locally. Usually have to settle for 32s. And even 30s are a tad too loose for me.

>TFW you have to drill more holes in your belt because no belts come that small.

Not OP but tall,lanky and a finish carpenter.
>>
Expensive jeans are not good jeans. Fuck Levis and Dickies and all the rest. Go buy some Costco jeans. Carhartt jeans last buy they arent cheap.
>>
>>949596
>levis and dickies
>expensive jeans

>costco jeans
You mean Kirkland jeans, because Costco sells Levis and other similarly 25-30$ pairs of jeans.
The 15$ Kirkland jeans are straight shit.

Carhartt jeans can be more expensive than Levis and are not any better in terms of weight and overall denim quality.
>>
>>948990
Im not sure exactly what you want from us.

I have "tailored" my own jeans before, by hemming the length and slimming the boot cut to more of a straight cut.

Just do this, and have a good sewing machine that will do it. Its not that hard if you have the basics of sewing down.
>>
>>949612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekODvGvr6Ew
>>
>>949165
Are you....are you a stick of celery?
>>
>>949608
oh, speaking of Costco! I bought 5 pairs of "urban star" jeans from costco and they are the best fitting jeans ever--because they are made from 10% spandex.

That means they will wrap around the natural contours of your body.

Amazing time to be alive.
>>
my levi's 511 come reinforced with a inner patch in that area, maybe it would be easier to sew in a patch and try to match the string color, or get that model
>>
>>948990
I like Diesel jeans for the build quality. They generally last a couple of years. That being said, I don't really buy new clothes, just fix them up or go to salvation army.

>poverty yes

Sewing jeans is a bit of an oxymoron. It's kinda like sewing ripstop fabric, because the fabric (denim) is made to be very durable as long as it is intact. If you try to sew it to reinforce it, you almost have to use a patch, unless it's just a cosmetic fix. However, if the problem area is in the croth, it might not be very visible.

I've had a few wear out on me in the crotch, but mostly the knees, thanks to "modern fashion" and "modern styles" of acid and rock washing.

I wish they just sold thick, riveted, indigo jeans.

Anyhoo, Jeans are hard to sew if not with patch.

Look for those that are noticeably thicker if you want them to last.

Diesel is better than Levi's

>jk idgaf
>>
>>948990
My mother is a seamstress. Yes, anything denim is harder to work with. You would need an overlock sewing machine preferably, and even in factories, only the top 20% of people know how to operate them.

http://www.heddels.com/2014/04/know-terminology-overlock-stitch-vs-flat-felled-seam/
>>
>>948990
If you really don't care about fashion get a pair of Carharrtts and shut the fuck up. You're not going to make you're own jeans. Chances are if you did you would look like a total fucking know.

t. Industrial electrician in oil and gas who crawls, climbs, walks, everywhere and punishes clothes to no extent.

If I can get a few years our of a pair of their duck fabric no reason you shouldn't be able too.
>>
>>950259
All you need for overlock stitching is a Serger machine, you can get a Singer branded one at walmart for like 200$.
And its usually used for very fine materials.

The only reason its used in pants making is because you can do a whole seam in 1 pass with them.

Someone like OP can easily use a regular sewing machine and do any number of stitches for denim, it just will take multiple passes per stitch.

Its why you pay a Tailor so much money, its a lot of work

.>>950283
Its not hard at all to make your own jeans if you are halfway decent on a sewing machine. Its just time consuming and good denim cost as much as a pair of jeans.

Dont pretend that your Indonesian made carharrt jeans are something special. They are the same denim weight as Wranglers from Walmart, you just paid more for it because you bought them at a carrhart sponsored hardware store.
>>
File: greenwich.jpg (466 KB, 1306x980) Image search: [Google]
greenwich.jpg
466 KB, 1306x980
after 25 years of scooting on my knees doing tile and other home type work, i find jeans dont wear out that fast. and if they do, cheap to replace. denim is a hell of a tool..

now i cant help but ruin anything i put on my feet no matter the cost in under a month or two. i crawl and kick and bam, stitches busted loose. wrap my feet in duct tape

pic a sammich i ate about 3 years ago.
>>
>>950313
Buy shoes that don't come from walmart... to begin with. Try on some redwings or something, [redwings have a foot "shape" style to them, some people their perfect, others they are painful] lots of boot brands out there that don't suck, but if you're dropping less then 150 bux for new ones. yeah they gonna suck..

lets say you are going through a pair of shoes in 3 months. and you spend like 30 bux on them.

12/3=4
4*30=120
in 5 years
5*120=600

That's 600 dollars m80. buying a 300 dollar pair of good boots that last five years, is legit saving you money in the long hull.

>>948990
now to op's question. yes you can make your own jeans. its pretty simple. even more so if you've got an old pair you really like that didn't fuck up like your new ones. basically you build a pattern off of them. and trust me there's not a shortage of sewing youtube channels that can teach you EVERYTHING.

I made a pair of motorcycle jeans to ride in, now I had a few extra steps in protection but the basics would be. reinforce the knees with leather, I used some heavy couch leather for the knees that I cut apart off the side of the curb. [couch leather is good for replacing head rest in cars too] for the thighs/butt and lower ankles [besides the foam padding that I bought meant to help with the impact] I used nylon strapping they use for making belts and backpack straps and shit.. when I had crashed the first time, I noticed my belt took a lot of drag, and it barely was even scuffed. is where I came up with using it, though it is heavier then Kevlar.. anyways I got rekt in these pants I made and had no road-rash and just sore joints from the fall. so it works.

basically you wanna reinforce your "problem areas" figure out the problem, if its stretching maybe use a heavier fabric. Also you don't HAVE to use denim for the inside of the legs. if you get a light colored denim or just plain white, and get a heavy canvas, can make a dye bath to get them to your final color.
>>
Yes, I've sewn my own jeans. Don't waste your time. It takes a load of skill and patience and they will wear out as fast or faster than jeans you buy. my homemade crotch blew in ~2 months. unless you're a pro the fit will never be as good and a little sag here and there will cause more friction and kill the jeans faster than ever.

if you want pants that last a long time, get pants from outlier or qor or similar.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.