[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /DIY/ I am starting to make a career out of welding and was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: images.png (8 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 281x179
Hi /DIY/ I am starting to make a career out of welding and was wondering if you guys have any general tips and tricks to any part of the trade. I am currently have a bit of trouble with 6010 rods and running root passes on open groove cuts, would really appreciate any advice.

Pic related.
>>
Are you dragging or whipping and pausing?
>>
>>947849
Whipping and pausing, I don't have much trouble in the flat position mainly just vertical and overhead.
>>
On the vertical watch your rod tip-- keep it even - do not let it fingernail. Vertical is the toughest to get consistent at because of the lack of vision on the puddle. Pay attention to the sound your rod makes. As for overhead, it should be just like flat with 6010. Watch your heat.
>>
>>947853
I guess I'm having the most trouble getting the rod even with the plate. The lack of vision really throws me off.

Related still to welding how difficult is it to get a job? Like should I just call up some local shops and ask if they are hiring or apply to big names like CAT and hope they call back or what?
>>
You catch more fish with a bigger net. There are many things to consider over the long term. You don't have to decide everything right off the bat-- get a job and get your hands about you. Oh, and the best piece of advice, as well as the simplest-- work from uncomfortable to comfortable.
>>
>>947686
Good book to buy for welding, it has a lot of processes and a lot of the more advanced stuff too.
>>
Visit professional welding forums such as the Miller forum and Weldingweb. Rig welder forums exist if you want to do pipe on the road and make money. AWS forum is a great resource and you will need to know about their standards, especially if goal is becoming an inspector.

Heed this post. ALL the answers you seek can be found by doing as I suggest.
>>
>>950013
I'd like to add that you can pay a subscription to access their digital book database too.
>>
>>950265
Their* by which I mean AWS.
>>
>>947686

Get welding jobs, look over the shoulder of the older guys, ask them to show you some tricks.

Also get the theory in place. You can do many things with a simple 230V stick welder, but if you want to weld more than simple things you will need to learn about different welding on different surfaces and in different conditions.

Also practice all directions. Many welding jobs will have impractical welds so you cannot expect to always be able to make the simplest welds.
>>
>>947860
Union.
>>
Your fit up makes a huge difference. Take the time to get your gap and land correct/even.
>>
>>947860

If you're using the arm in a welding school booth to attach your coupons to, don't be scared to move it around. When I was in school I was also having trouble with my vision. I messed around with my heights of the coupon, and ended up moving my veritcals to a higher starting point so it was pretty much starting at the top of my chest. Same with overhead, I dropped that shit down to the point where I had to bend my knees to get under it. This helped get my face closer to the keyhole so I could see what I was doing.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.