[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you drink while doing diy? Pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
File: Olympia_Malt0311bullshit.jpg (122 KB, 600x1188) Image search: [Google]
Olympia_Malt0311bullshit.jpg
122 KB, 600x1188
What do you drink while doing diy?

Pic related.
>>
>>947316
I drink a similar beer, but I'm in Chicago, so it's Old Style.

Although I am a beer snob, I deliberately try to keep it light while working.
>>
coffee. maxwell house or folgers. black.
>>
>>947316
my own piss. sometimes water.
>>
>>947344
Right here. Beer and table saws don't mix.
>>
Water or raspberry sweet tea
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 1200x900
>>947316
>drink
>while doing diy

Son you must be retarded. Drinking is a reward for when you're done. It makes your work sloppy and you should NEVER mix drinking with power tools. The only time you can drink while working is if you're mowing the grass

>pic related, me mowing my grass
>>
Water and juices only. Drinking while operating equipment is something I deem too dangerous. I am put on edge should any coworkers drink and I basically piss on them should anything go wrong. I make doubly sure that my hands are free of water after drinking cold things.

>uncle planes a table with his son, while they were both drunk
>he planes a knuckle off his sons hand

>guy I knew was a depressed alcoholic with shop access
>fought with the wife
>makes wooden houses for his daughter and her dolls
>even makes tiny furniture
>lost part of his index finger in the bandsaw while drinking

Back on topic though, I love a cold glass of lemon iced tea after a finished project.
>>
Water.

I only drink alcohol socially.
>>
>>947316
> be me
> have coffee on workbench
> also have metal assembly that needs a fish oil spray on bench
> spray and reinstall assembly
> sip triumphantly from coffee
> fish oil, fish oil everywhere

That was the last time I permitted myself any food or drink (open or otherwise) into my shop. I'll leave a drink or a plate of something on the washing machine (enter garage via laundry) sometimes, but it never comes across the threshold (plus it serves as good motivation to put tools down and refresh/refocus from time to time). On reflection, I shudder at some of the shit I may have inadvertently ingested over the years.
>>
>>947316
Canada Dry or 7-up
Mostly just water though.

I dont drink anything else, ever.
>>
>>947460
>depressed alcoholic with shop access
>makes dolly houses for his daughter
>bitch wife
>loses a part of his finger

I was expecting that story to be a looooot worse desu
>>
File: bag prank.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
bag prank.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>>947439
The old and wise /diy/ mower man is here to help, advising you on why drinking is bad.
Listen to the mower man, learn from the mower man and make with the mower man.
>Son one day you'll wish you were me
>>
>>947439
>lawn tractor
>no shoes
>ishiggity
>>
File: power_3[1].gif (127 KB, 400x531) Image search: [Google]
power_3[1].gif
127 KB, 400x531
>>947316
I start off with a vodka and redbull then move on to beer except when I have to use the table saw. 10 million rpms of fuck-your-shit, nope. Drills, drivers, miter saw, routers no problem.

I do find that my measurements get really fucking off the more I've had to drink. My late night shit often has to be redone the next day but generally I enjoy a good buzz while building shit in the garage.

I usually use a cup with a lid because I dont like dust and shit in my drink.
>>
water
Just water.
>>
>>947471
I want to see the one where he pranks the guy with a concealed carry permit.
>>
>>
>>947825
interesting you found green.. or have you had it for awhile? I never see it in stores.
>>
>>947831
it's been discontinued for a year or two now. they did a short run for their xxth anniversary, and discontinued again. Local shops have a few bottles in stock. there is still an abundance in warehouses I'm sure. I live in buttfuck-hickvillington Kentucky so no one around here really drinks scotch, let alone green label. Want a bottle?
>>
Cause fuck yea that's why
>>
>>947811
Its not in the USA.
And honestly, im not sure it would work as well in the USA either.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 376x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 376x338
You people scare me.
>>
>>947316
Tea or Dr Pepper
>>
File: Boulevard Pale Ale.jpg (30 KB, 152x451) Image search: [Google]
Boulevard Pale Ale.jpg
30 KB, 152x451
This but usually loads more water and tea in the summer.

Although I'm usually doing more art than carpentry lately.
>>
People consume food/beverage in the shop?
What in the actual fuck? Are you people *trying* to ingest razor-sharp slivers of metal, or dangerous chemicals, or heavy metals?
>>
>>948108
Cant speak for the others, but i just intend to get properly wasted after a well-done job
>>
File: wut.uvar.jpg (40 KB, 609x608) Image search: [Google]
wut.uvar.jpg
40 KB, 609x608
>>947439
Your not even mowing but sitting on the mower!
>the grass
Joking aside I agree!
>>
File: 0050.jpg (148 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
0050.jpg
148 KB, 768x1024
>>947316
Good old fashioned water to keep me nourished.
Now after a good day a good brew satisfies my nourishment and boosts my ego.
>>
>>947322
>beer snob
>drinks Old Style
>ayy lmao
>>
>>948880
If I see that fucking shed one more time.
>>
>>948927
Yup. Planning on getting my beer judge certification this year.

Just because you're a beer aficionado doesn't mean you will never drink an American light lager again. That would just be ridiculous.
>>
>>947468

Why even drink that fizzy shit?
>>
>>948972
This.
I love a quality beer but basic lager is okay.
A rochefort 10 or a duvel can't compare in taste but the after work beer is something else than the one you sip slowly and enjoy.
>>
>>948972
I'm not saying American light lagers are all bad bad(in fact, they're great for summer), but old style is terrible.
>>
>>949032
Old style is terrible, or your perception of the old style brand is terrible?

Frankly, I don't detect much of a difference between many of the popular American lagers. There are very slight differences, but it took me years to really be able to detect them.

If you had identical taster glasses in front of you with old style, PBR, budweiser, amstel light, mic light, etc, would you be able to identify which one was old style specifically? I'm sure that if each glass had the accompanying bottle behind it, you would say that old style was the worst, but if you didn't know which one was which, would you still be able to identify old style as the worst?

To me, old style and PBR are still indistinguishable.
>>
>>949061
I'm pretty confident in my palate. Taste is subjective, but cheap beer is always noticible. If you can't tell a difference between a Budweiser and a super cheap beer (such as Milwaukee's Best) thats pretty bad.
>>
>>947316
Vodka and I though some Xanax in there sometimes
>>
>>949061
No its definitely terrible. I can drink Miller Lite but not Old Style. Its just got a funky taste. No taste is better than a bad taste.

But honestly if I want a cheap refreshing yellow lager I buy something Polish.
>>
>>948112
Yeah, after, but, to quote OP "What do you drink while doing /diy/"
I get that most people don't ruin a mini machine shop in their free time, but still.
>>
Water is best. 0 calories guilt free drink.
>>
>>947316
I do some stupid things like excessive drinking and whatnot, but I never mix work that could be dangerous with drinking. I have heard too much bad stories about mixing those two, and hey, I don't want to do anything serious when I want to drink
>>
>>949220
Well, I guess that makes us two dudes, sitting in an Internet chat room, both confident in our own opinions and palettes.

>>949594
I would posit that if the taste of different American light beers is that noticeable to you, you might consider expanding your palette. It might seem like the difference between brands is significant, but when you compare it to the total spectrum of beers, those big differences that you are noticing become smaller and smaller. One of the major guidelines for American lagers and American light lagers is that they contain a significant percentage of corn or rice, neither of which add to the flavor or body. They also contain laughably small amounts of hops and typically no bittering hops, which further forces the flavor to be light and neutral. Finally, they are lagered, which gets rid of almost all of the yeast flavors and byproducts. When you start exploring other beers that do have hops, and significant grain bills, and esters, all of the light lagers start tasting the same (flavorless).

It's kind of like studying the color yellow. The closer you look at it, the more easily you can see different distinct shades of yellow. But if you are carefully inspecting the whole rainbow, the different shades of yellow start to disappear but different shades of all colors start to become more apparent.
>>
>>949633
No actually its quite the opposite. It's only as I have gotten further and further into the wide world of styles and variations of craft beer and developed a beer palate that I have been able to taste the differences in BMC adjunct lager. Yes, they are all yellow, and yes, they are all similar, but they do have difference. Its really no different from how their are >9000 IPAs and 90% of them taste the same.
>>
>>949737
Exactly. So if you've tasted a wide variety of beers, can you better describe the flavor in old style that you're referring to? Or, I guess, the flavor or character in 'cheap' beers that you're referring to?

There's a husky flavor that I don't like in Milwaukee's best, but I don't detect it in old style. I find some beers, like Heineken, are always light struck, but I don't really notice that in light lagers so much, due to the low hopping rate presumably.

What is it in old style that you are finding unacceptable? Cuz it tastes like a lot of other light lagers to me.
>>
>>949768
I"m not sure, its been so long since I've even had an Old Style and i don't feel like going out to get some.
>>
File: Brand_Double_Wide.jpg (43 KB, 181x616) Image search: [Google]
Brand_Double_Wide.jpg
43 KB, 181x616
>>947976
>Boulevard Brewing Company
They've got some great beers, I really liked their Double-Wide I.P.A.
>>
File: Hamm.png (273 KB, 623x367) Image search: [Google]
Hamm.png
273 KB, 623x367
>>
File: IMG_8974-990.jpg (469 KB, 990x660) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8974-990.jpg
469 KB, 990x660
>>
coffee mostly.
I'd take a beer if I'm building something with others, but I'm not much of a solo drinker.
>>
I drink Lapsang Souchong tea, because the smell pisses off my wife.

I was drinking XX Ambar, but gave it up due to heart burn.
>>
Why are American beers so tiny?
>>
>>950572
Why are Europeans so Muslim?
>>
>>950573
Migration.
Why are Americans so defensive over the size of their beers?
>>
>>950577
Why don't you just stop letting the migrants come over? Or stop giving them welfare when they do. Can't you see you're killing yourselves?
>>
>>947439
Old man, you're advocating drinking while operating a motor vehicle and having an open container.
>>
>>950579
Because we have no Mexicans to do all the shitty jobs the Polish won't do.
>>
File: Humlesus.jpg (273 KB, 1060x1600) Image search: [Google]
Humlesus.jpg
273 KB, 1060x1600
>>947482
>ishiggity
>ishiggydiggy

I love how ishygddt has turned into an actual speakable phrase that has ten times more scwhung than the original.

>tfw too poorfag to drink while DIY

But pic related is weapon of choice for outsidey/garagey high energy tool work. Usually not more than one bottle over some time, for the flavour and groove. (from the bottle, no fancy glassware in the shop)
Name is a pun on the Norwegian word for "hops" which also can mean "bumblebee" So like, "the buzz of the bumblebee". It's hella hoppy. I like that.

Beer loosens the muskulls and makes you better at your job.

>if you drink extremely slowly.
>>
>>950583
But all the stuff I've read is that they don't work at all. And like cheap Mexican labor, even if they did work crap jobs for cheap, there is no way the benefit to your society would outweigh the cost of welfare going to their families. Especially considering how much more generous Europeans are with welfare compared to Americans.
>>
>>950585
Well you see it quite complex.
The majority of migrants claiming welfare are EU migrants from the eastern European countries.
Those Africans you see on the news sneaking in will only register for welfare if they know they have no chance of claiming asylum. So if they don't have a chance they live and work under the radar and are extremely cheap to employ.
But then we also have migrants we've invited over to fill a short fall in jobs, these can claim welfare like anyone in the country.
Then we have the refugees, the ones you see walking in herds like from the walking dead aren't register for welfare yet, but the one given asylum are given welfare. That is out of humanity, these people have to go somewhere.

Like i said it very complex.
>>
>>950584
There was that one study that showed basically one drink makes you work more creatively and efficiently but the beneficial effects rapidly decline after one drink.
>>
>>950651
as long as its less than two you are golden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSCppeFzX4
>>
>>947316
I'm on a liquid diet, 6-9 cups of kuireg coffee in the morning and switch to homebrew beer in the afternoon pilsner and porters mostly
>>
File: 1337782519362.jpg (37 KB, 526x482) Image search: [Google]
1337782519362.jpg
37 KB, 526x482
>>950588
Fuck every other board, /diy/ is a best.
BEST!
>>
>>950722
You're going to get heart disease.
>>
>>950759
not going to stop me, i want to die /diy/ing, if i want a new heart to replace my diseased one i shall /diy/ a robot one, assknob cornshitter
>>
>>950588
That makes no sense. How can they register for welfare if they're denied asylum? If you're going to kick them out, why give them welfare? And all they have to do is have a baby or some relative. Unlike the US, which does have a retarded anchor baby system, we don't apply that rule to fathers, brothers, aunts, etc.

The refugees were safe in Turkey or other camps, they left so they could get more money in Europe. Refugee camps surely suck, but destroying Europe isn't going to help anyone. They need to go back to their hellholes and try to fix them.
>>
File: special_ex_6_cans_tall_4.gif (49 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
special_ex_6_cans_tall_4.gif
49 KB, 300x450
>>949768
Actually stopped for Old Style tonight after work, just for you. But my local Jewel was out of tall boy six packs so I went for Special Export instead.
>>
File: brio.jpg (190 KB, 860x868) Image search: [Google]
brio.jpg
190 KB, 860x868
coffee
chronic
and
mother fucking

BRIO
>>
>>950798
>they need to fix their shit.

Kinda hard when your "government" and religious extremists want to kill you on both ends of the spectrum.
>>
>>950804
Brio is disgusting.

I drink it all the time.
>>
>>947466
Maybe I'm ignorant, but why in the name of sense would you spray something with fish oil? Was the goal to make it offensive to all people but attractive to dogs?

Seriously though, I thought rancidy organic oils weren't good to use on stuff like that.
>>
>>950803
Nice. Again, I'm not saying old style is the best beer ever, or even the best of the light beers. But it's certainly not bad. I think it just gets a bad rep by name branding fags.
>>
Coffee before
Water during
Beer after
>>
>>951237
> Go to BYOB party
> Bring 30 pack of Tecate or other light pilser
> Others bring 6 packs of elite beer
> How can you drink that pisswater?
> 2 hours later when they run out of beer Tecates in everyone's hands
>Every fucking time

Thanks why I bring extras
>>
>>950798
There was a typo in there, sorry friend
Fixed it for you
>will only register for welfare if they know they have a chance of claiming asylum

So why are the American beers so tiny?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.