[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello. I just made a cmoy headphone amp and the pot only seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 20160214_013007.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2241) Image search: [Google]
20160214_013007.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2241
Hello.
I just made a cmoy headphone amp and the pot only seems to work for the first 1/5th of its travel. any advice on how to find out what is wrong here? bad pot?
>>
>>946317
You probably have a linear taper pot. You need a logarithmic pot (audio pot).
>>
if you mean that the thing goes to max volume at 2 instead of 11, it means your gain is too high, or your input level is too high. (both situations mean the same thing, really). if so, since there are so many 'CMOY' designs, it's impossible to say what needs changing.
>>
>>946327
i used this guide:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/
i tested at very low input levels and high input levels it just seems to add about 3db at 1/5th pot travel then doesn't get louder after that. works fine before then.

>>946322
ill try swapping with an audio pot, not sure if the one is have is linear or not, thanks for the tips.
>>
>>946329
>not sure if the one is have is linear or not

>Remove it from circuit
>Turn it to the half way point
>Measure from centre pin to both sides
If they are about equal its linear.
>>
File: tuning the gain.gif (79 KB, 1199x510) Image search: [Google]
tuning the gain.gif
79 KB, 1199x510
>>946329

it's a weird design. it uses two 9V batteries in series, but instead of using the center point as ground, they make a useless virtual ground using 2 large caps. seems retarded to me.

anyway, the page you linked to has a tip that addresses your issue exactly. it tells you how to adjust the gain so your pot has an effect over its full range.
>>
>>946334
ahh thanks
>>
>>946334
Using two caps to create a virtual ground will eliminate the problems with uneven voltage and drain from your batteries, which will make for a shitty ground.
>>
>>946354

yeah, in theory, assuming the output signal is high enough, say 7V, that a weak battery could play a role. however, a headphone amp puts out maybe 0.2Vp which is 1/35-th of what you'd need for it to be a problem.
>>
>>946317
Hey KipKay ;^)
>>
>>946368

Hey, David. Has your bum-hole healed since out last encounter?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.