[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any body have any experience with composite decking versus treated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: deck1.jpg (24 KB, 390x389) Image search: [Google]
deck1.jpg
24 KB, 390x389
I bought a foreclosed home and I had an inspector come out and he said I needed a hand rail on my deck steps. I guess he was being real cool by not mentioning the 10*10 feet of missing floor boards and the entire railing.

Basically the understructure is in decent shape and I would just be laying down the floor and railings. I didn't know if anyone first hand could say is was worth the extra expenses for the composite lumber?? I know its not suppose to rot but like if I walk outside and bust my ass on it when it's wet the I would just use regular wood. I can't really tell from the photos if my house would look cheesy with it because it's an older brick home. Deck fairly small and not awesome in anyway.
>>
>>946122
The real benefit of composite decking is that you can just leave it as it is and nothing about it will change.

Grip is not an issue, no more slippery than wood, if you're really concerned then lay your decking grip side up.

There's composite decking near the waterfront in a nearby city. The council put it there ten years ago and it still looks like new. That's why people pay extra for it.
>>
Dad got a composite deck. It's doing alright after like 10 years. My brother was in charge and we didn't put enough supports under it. It flexes notably more on a hot day than a cool one, but that's our fault for not putting enough support. Amateur hour so we probably didn't even have enough for a wooden deck, I don't think there's a documented support difference between wood and composite. The worst is the stairs, we only have three stringers for like a 4' wide stairs.
>>
>>946137
Thanks. I'm not the type to go and waterseal my deck so I guess thats an advantage.
>>946141
Yes I did just read that it needs more support underneath because it flexes more. If I had all new joists I can see where the cost does start to add up.
>>
>>946153
Most composite decking is 19mm thickness, so you'll be 450mm max centres anyway
>>
For the cost I prefer cedar. My 2 cents.
>>
>>946189
Thats a great idea. I have some lumber yards around me but I always go to Homedepot because its the closest. I actually have no idea if lumber yards are cheaper or more expensive. I'll price out the cedar because I think it would look nice and when the summer gets here I need to replace the fascia boards behind the gutters.
>>
>>946225
LOL. Home depot is always more expensive. ALWAYS. (ok, so it does depend a little on the lumber yard. But HD gets its lumber FROM a lumber yard, marks up a little bit, and contractors go there because they can pick up lumber, screws, new drill bits, saw blades, electrical fittings, and plumbing fitting all in one place, instead of having to go to 6 different ones. So they pay $50 more, but don't pay a guy $30/hr to drive 45 minutes further each way, and spend an extra 3 hrs going from place to place.
However, you can spend way more at a lumber yard because they have the much nice wood that HD won't generally carry.
>>
>>946122
Composite decking is a PITA.
It's not as forgiving as wood and because of that it requires additional support and more attention to detail for levelness and squareness simply because it flexes and unevenness reveals itself like a soar thumb.

Also since it is engineered there is a high likelihood that later on there wont be a match for repair/remodels -I found out the hard way in having to buy some more the following year to finish, they changed the thickness in that time frame. I wont do that again.

Now if we're talking about vinyl railing and post sheaths I'm all for those.

My experience with lumberyards is yes they're cheaper but you buy extra because you live with what comes off the pallet but HD etc you can pick out the good stuff and leave the rest. I hear they will give you a better/competitive price if your buying in quantity.
>>
File: 1452372504051.jpg (138 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1452372504051.jpg
138 KB, 600x800
>>946703
Thanks the fact that I might not be able to add on to the deck later on is definitely a deal breaker. I hadn't considered that. I am really just looking to get up to code and do more work later when I have the money. I hate it when the design stuff to be obsolete. I read a few articles online and nobody mentioned these problems.

Thanks I'm not giving it another thought!
>>
Composite decking wins hands down. The whole "muh nashurul wood!" bullshit goes out the window when you realize that you basically have to do ZERO maintenance on composite decking. Ever. Even cedar heartwood can't come close. Slightly harder to work with, but well worth it.

Also, no splinters.

No regrets about my deck.
>>
A thread full of composite decking propagandists, nice.

>muh maintenance
I've had both fir and composite decks and both required you to hose them (pref. pressure wash) anyway.
I think appearance grade treated fir is by far the most appealing visually and it'll last 20+ years easily. Bonus points if you stain it as well but it isn't necessary.
I think the real problem involves literally people thinking they can use the shittiest wood, refuse to stain it or do any maintenance as clearly this would cut into their weaboo schedule, and complain about rot or appearance.
>>
>>947535
My deck is redwood because of it's natural antirot properties. Looks good and only needs a clean and restain once every couple of years. I keep it swept and don't allow piles of leaves and dirt and crap to accumulate. That's how you get premature failure in decks.
>>
>>947504

Here green heart lumber is popular because we are a main source of boat building and repairs in the Lesser Antilles.

If you don't care about it bleaching then you can literally let that shit sit out for 50 years or more. The worst that happens to it is that if you live in the bush it gets mossy but with vegetation growing all over it the material outlasts concrete.
>>
>>947504
I don't know much about composite decking but I used to work for a Parks Dept that made benches and picnic tables with the stuff and it broke constantly, like the boards would just snap in half.
>>
>>947498
I didn't mean to totally steer you away from composite but to warn you mostly. You could add onto a finished deck but change the pattern.
My instance was I wasn't finished and they changed thickness and grain appearance.

I priced around and thought a solid composite rather than a layered composite was better.

Composite decking has advantages but IMO for something bigger than a ramp (not too steep) or a simple staircase your taking your chances and anything bigger than that you're hiring it out and can afford to do that so who cares.

The price is still propped up by the hype and is pure marketing. It's marketed for eco-minded and low maintenance minded people today and ignorance is why I went that way.

The best composite decks in my neighborhood are covered and out of the weather believe it or not. Both my porches have a portion exposed and I thought I'd like something with less maintenance like washing it every year. Guess what I better wash it every year or they get slick just like cedar. My shed ramp is totally exposed and is grooved for traction and it is a joke!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.